Print Thread
Hop To
K
KHH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
stopped at a local gun shop today so my friend could pick up his new rifle and somehow ened up bringing a Rem 7600 home with me . Wish you guys wouldn't have done that Rem pump post a couple days ago. Anyway it has a synthetic stock and no sling swivels. There are two type's avaliable one is a barrel band mount the other uses the bolt that hold the forarm on as the front swivel. I've never used a barrel band before so I'm leaning towards the other style . I noticed on this rifle there is plenty of clearance between the forearm and barrel I didn't look at it that close but it appears all the weight would be on the tube that guides the forearm . What are the plus's and minus's of the different styles . Thanks KH.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I decided to use the replacement bolt with sling swivel attachment. Some claim that it puts too much pressure on the action tube and can loosen it. I haven't had any problems yet. I used a sling that uses wide velcro straps that wrap around the butt stock. It's a setup used on shotguns. It didn't sound very easy to attach a sling swivel the normal way after talking to Remington. The synthetic stock is the bugger.

Other people will know alot more about this than me though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
... Rem 7600 ... it has a synthetic stock and no sling swivels. There are two type's avaliable one is a barrel band mount the other uses the bolt that hold the forarm on as the front swivel. I've never used a barrel band before so I'm leaning towards the other style . ...

I never saw anything wrong with the barrel band mount. It seems particularly adapted to the Remington 7600 since it will avoid putting stress on the forward part.

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
depending on how much you carry it by the sling the front tube will bend and eventually cause weird wear to the bolt carrier and action bars. remington gave me a bit of a hard time the last time i tried to buy one. the stud brazed in the action is only about .375 if i remember right, and it acts as the fulcrum for that pretty long lever, the fore end, with most of the weight of the gun behind it. the 760 bbl swivel set while not pretty does work better with less potential problems.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I used a barrel band mount on my 760 and now use one on my 7600. I used the 760 fore end mount at first and I could tell it was putting too much stress on the fore end tube.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
S42,
The stud that the action tube screws on to is the same stud that the barrel is attached to the receiver with. In fact, the action tube is the 'nut' that fastens the barrel to the receiver. If just considering levers and fulcrums, the barrel is a longer lever than the action tube is for both the 760 and 7600. I cannot say which swivel stud attachment site/method is better/worse or if it makes a difference.

I try to minimize the use of slings and only use them to carry the rifle in the field when not actually hunting. Moreover, using a sling as a shooting aid on non-target rifles is just too inconsistent in my experience.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (325wsm1, 10gaugemag, 35, 6mmbrfan, 12 invisible), 13,763 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,229
Posts18,544,002
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.