-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
There are a lot of problems with my boiler but I will only ask about one thing here.

Should the pump be running when there hasn't been a call for heat for 4 hours? I turned down both thermostats there is nothing else calling for heat so I assume that the pump should be off.

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depends on how your heat system is set up, but many water circulating systems keep the pump running at all times to keep the water recirculating in the pipes.
You may want to have a heating control contractor look at it to see if it is working properly or if you can change the control scheme so the pump doesn't run when the system isn't calling for heat.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sheister
Depends on how your heat system is set up, but many water circulating systems keep the pump running at all times to keep the water recirculating in the pipes.
You may want to have a heating control contractor look at it to see if it is working properly or if you can change the control scheme so the pump doesn't run when the system isn't calling for heat.

Bob

I have a few of them scheduled to come out to look at the complete system and give me some quotes (long sad story) but I am trying to educate myself as much as possible before hand. At the very least, I might have rubber seals in a couple of fittings which is probably the reason? I understand there is a replacement for them that will not require constant heat. Thanks for the quick help. smile

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
regular boiler with ..slant fin/slab heat.......the stat calls for heat, the pump comes on, zone valve opens...... water moves thur system....stat off valve close, pump off(well not in order) but thats the gist...... no heated needed the boiler should be setin there ...waiting for the next call ..and or the boiler will fire to keep the temp up.........

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by atvalaska
regular boiler with ..slant fin/slab heat.......the stat calls for heat, the pump comes on, zone valve opens...... water moves thur system....stat off valve close, pump off(well not in order) but thats the gist...... no heated needed the boiler should be setin there ...waiting for the next call ..and or the boiler will fire to keep the temp up.........

The pump is still running and the heat has been turned off for over 4 hours. I will have to turn it back on now as it is getting a little chilly in here. frown

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
my aquastats quell my fire by killing power to forced air fan and clamping the intake oxy

my pump circulates 24/7 regardless, good feature- keeps my system from going idle and possibly freezing should my fire go out completely.

but what do I know, I'm sure my system is not as awesome as everyone else's on here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I suspect that you may have a primary/secondary loop system. It's not uncommon for the pump on a primary loop to run continuously.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Contacts on the pump relay welded together.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Is the system zoned with multiple thermoststs?

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AlaskaFE

The pump is still running and the heat has been turned off for over 4 hours. I will have to turn it back on now as it is getting a little chilly in here. frown

pump on heat off??? u got a stuck zone valve ?......from sitting all summer.. "the pump is runnig" then the line is hot from the pump,and the return line is hot? would have to be ... i'm pm u my number...this stuff is easy...........at 4.00 a gallon u will be broke in a week!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kend
Is the system zoned with multiple thermoststs?

Yes, there are two zone valves.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here is a pic of the mess. Don't know if it will help or not.

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Typically each thermostat controls it's zone valve. Thermostat opens the valve and there is a end switch in the valve that energizes a relay to start the pump and the boiler. Some boilers stay hot all the time depending on system design and boiler type. It is possible that your pump runs all the time as some freeze protection scheme. I'd guess some things are done differently in colder climates. Let us know what the service guy finds. Ken

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
If you are talking about the little brown pump at the very bottom of the picture that looks Like a Bronze taco model 006B. That is most likely the "Domestic" hot water recirc pump. It looks like it is hard wired and plumbed to the little water heater on the left. If that is the case it is always on to make sure there is hot water waiting at all of the faucets. That is not the heating pump. And you could save money on electricity and water heating by putting it on a timer.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Digs
If you are talking about the little brown pump at the very bottom of the picture that looks Like a Bronze taco model 006B. That is most likely the "Domestic" hot water recirc pump. It looks like it is hard wired and plumbed to the little water heater on the left. If that is the case it is always on to make sure there is hot water waiting at all of the faucets. That is not the heating pump. And you could save money on electricity and water heating by putting it on a timer.

I'm pretty sure that's what it is. The water stored in the water heater is heated by the boiler. It used to be an electric water heater.

Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
the pump is keeping the "hot tank/home made hot water maker/store'r".... and the boiler up to temp the same..I, 2 say... a timmer is in order..

Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
[quote=AlaskaFE The pump is still running and the heat has been turned off for over 4 hours. I will have to turn it back on now as it is getting a little chilly in here. frown

[/quote]this ? got me puzzled...what heat? turn what back on? pump running and no heat to zone?......

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[quote=AlaskaFE The pump is still running and the heat has been turned off for over 4 hours. I will have to turn it back on now as it is getting a little chilly in here. frown

this ? got me puzzled...what heat? turn what back on? pump running and no heat to zone?...... [/quote]

I turned off the power to the boiler. It is located in an upstairs closet and the heat from the whole setup turns that room into a sauna. Now I know that pump doesn't control the flow in the entire system but just for heating the household water system.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

295 members (270cowboy, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 204guy, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 40 invisible), 2,622 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,039
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.