Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GF1
Yeah, I hate 'em. A pair of M77 MkII Express models.

30/06 and .338 Winchester Magnum:
[Linked Image]

Those are beautiful GF1!! I like your style, can't get much better than that. Since you boys are showing pics, I'll whip out a few:

Most recent purchase is a round top tang safety 270 win that shoots pretty good (haven't had the time to work up a load for it yet):
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My other tang safety (300 win mag):
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
It doesn't shoot too bad for a crappy tanger barrel:
[Linked Image]

My elk slayer (mkII 338 win mag):
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/006-23.jpg[/img]
It shoots "allright" all the time:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/Image023-1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/002-8.jpg[/img]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
bsa1917hunter, too bad your old Rugers don't shoot either...

Nice rifles...keepers!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah, that's my bad blush

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Some beautiful rifles there boy`s,I still like Rugers.
BSA: I have not touched the bedding I am not sure what to do with it.
PJ Paul. It is a 243. I have some 85 & 90 gr. Nosler That I am going to try in it. I was shooting heavier rounds in it they were the ones giving me the trouble. I do have the tools to file down the end cap I have to take a close look at how the barrel & stock seats in it.

Living in the Land of Sunshine & No Basements
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian"
Semper Fi The Old Corps Era of the M-1 Garand�
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
FYI, here's a good piece by northern dave on bedding a Model 77:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...14/DIY_bedding_M77_pic_heavy#Post3003214

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
There's a reason that thread is a sticky. Excellent info by Northern dave. VERY good read.....I'm a firm believer in bedding rugers and those of you that know me know I'm not bs'n you.....They gotta be bedded!!!!

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Some of mine, they all shoot well.
[Linked Image]

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Partsman,

nice rifles. Albeit, dear friend, I see, you are a disciple of a the "JeffO School of Scope Mounting", as evidenced by rifle No. 3 on the bottom, so it is no denying it.

;-)

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine ain't much to look at but has made a fine beanfield rifle. Very accurate and tough as nails.

.264WM
Krieger barrel
McMillan stock
Timney trigger
S&B 3-12X50 Zenith scope
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry

H
Huntz Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by TC1
Mine ain't much to look at but has made a fine beanfield rifle. Very accurate and tough as nails.

.264WM
Krieger barrel
McMillan stock
Timney trigger
S&B 3-12X50 Zenith scope
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry

Thats a nice one!!! grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by stantdm
Jack O'Connor spoke well of them, Bill Ruger was a great gun designer and the things are American. I have had a lot of rifles and the Ruger stacked up well with any of them.
Bill wasn't half bad at caving into the anti gunners either.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
V
V
I'm a big fan of Ruger 77's and have 2 now, one tang safety (270) and one mkII in 6mm Rem. I love the mkII but after extensive work by a talented smith I still can't get it to do true controlled round feeding very time. About 1 in 8 times the cartridge will jump ahead of the extractor. The cartridge still chambers fine, but I'd rather it work the same each time. Anybody else have such a problem? I've heard long actions aren't as prone to this.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had one of the early 90s stainless, boat paddle stock, push feed M77 MkIIs that wasn't relieved at the bottom of the bolt face as the newer ones are. It fed well enough though. It went back to Ruger when it wouldn't eject out of the box. After the claw extractor was replaced by Ruger, it extracted properly. It never was a very accurate rifle. Federal GMM 168gr BTHP .308 went into about 2" at 100yds. My best reloads did about 1.5" at the same distance. Playing with action screw tension and stock clearance were frustratingly ineffective. I finally sold it to a buddy who enjoys it more than I did. I have a few other Rugers, but that limited experience soured me on their bolt rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

The tang-safety 77's aren't used for many custom rifles, but I did have a .300 Winchester Magnum made off one about 10 years ago by Charlie Sisk, who knows how to work on 'em. It was VERY accurate, and the only reason I don't have it anymore it my magazine editors got sick of reading about it. I've always liked the tang safety a lot more than the present side-safety.

I'm with you on that.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Poodleshooter
I had one of the early 90s stainless, boat paddle stock, push feed M77 MkIIs that wasn't relieved at the bottom of the bolt face as the newer ones are. It fed well enough though. It went back to Ruger when it wouldn't eject out of the box. After the claw extractor was replaced by Ruger, it extracted properly. It never was a very accurate rifle. Federal GMM 168gr BTHP .308 went into about 2" at 100yds. My best reloads did about 1.5" at the same distance. Playing with action screw tension and stock clearance were frustratingly ineffective. I finally sold it to a buddy who enjoys it more than I did. I have a few other Rugers, but that limited experience soured me on their bolt rifles.

The mkII's were never push feed's. They were all CRF....

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Poodleshooter

The mkII's were never push feed's. They were all CRF....

I had the exact same thing with a MKII 30/06, mine would jam when loading from the mag. I had my gunsmith mill off the bottom of the bolt and it functions great now.

You can see in the picture the piece that was left on I guess? The 7RM was a true CRF and the 30/06 had the push feed CR extraction feature I guess??? The 30/06 was bought new in 1992 and the 7RM was in 1995 or 1996.

[Linked Image]

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the uninitiated, which 77 tang models came with fixed sights, and wasn't there a model with fixed sights that would also accept Weaver-style bases?

At what point or model, did true CRF come to life in the 77?

Inquiring minds would like to know . . . .

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
In 1991 with the MKII:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_M77

Yes, they started out as round tops that were drilled and tapped like other rifles. My 270 is that way and it takes rem 700 bases...

Ruger m77 round top magnum (M77ST with open sights) chambered in 270 win:
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When it comes to 77's and respect I think back to a couple members quote.

Mule Deer: "I've owned a pile of 77's of all eras. While one barrel truly sucked (a 7x57 with a bore that had numerous loose spots, with the tight spots measuring .287"), all the others shot anywhere from acceptably to very well. My acceptable rating is three shots in an inch for big game rifles, and five shots in an inch for varmint rifles, and very well is half that. Most of them required some work on the bedding and the trigger, but then a lot of factory rifles do.

The big problem I've seen with some of the tang-safety rifles is very long throats in some older chamberings, such as 7x57."

Boxer - Big Stick: "I've Ruger familiarity and accept them for what they are. Light or bullet proof they are not, though curiously enough they are oft maligned by the masses for "accuracy" woe which I've yet to see, though of course I shoot a bit, which tend to tip numerous scales."

wink grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well I've put a fourth one on layaway down at the LGS, serial # dates it 1977, it'll be my first 30-06.
They've got respect in my safe!

ASE master certified engine machinist
Truck tech
REDNECK!
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,348
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.