Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I guess I don't have a "Holy Grail" firearm but there are many I am on the lookout for. I love classic American rifles and shotguns and classic cartridges. I like just about any rifle or shotgun that harkens to earlier days in America. Sedgley Springfields, Winchester model 54's, Remington 14's, Winchester 94's and 64's, Savage 99's, old Parker, LC Smith, Fox and Ithaca side by sides, pre 64 model 70's, Marlin 336's, Remington 721/722's. Even some of the more recent guns qualify as classics, if not classics at least very interesting like the little Ruger Deerstalker I picked up a couple of weeks ago and the Browning Sweet Sixteen I am drooling over right now. I know the Auto 5 is not an American gun but was by an American designer.

I guess the closest I can come to a "Holy Grail" gun would be Springfields or Winchester 54's or 70's that have been converted to left handed. I have one 1941 model 70 so converted and have run across a couple of Sedgley Springfields that were converted (out of my price range though). Even stumbled on to a Griffin and Howe Springfield converted to left handed. It went at auction for more than an African plains game hunt. I didn't buy it.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by safariman
To the OP, my freind Kevin Gibson...

I am immeasureably blessed to now own firearms that not so long ago I could only dream of having.

One of them is the now highly modified COlt DElta ELite that you so kindly installed the Wilson parts onto and tuned for me sir! Another hearty thank you from here.

One is my 416 Rigby. I bought it and modified it with a model 70 style safey, NECG trigger, Weisner bottom metal, full length glass bedding etc but it wil later this week be a DREAM rifle because Karnis, when I was so very sick and fighting for my life made me a deal I could not refuse and has transformed the stock on it form an OK but porky CZ stock into a gorgeous, svelte, handy feeling piece of art that looks like it came from the hands of skilled craftsmen at John Rigby's or Maybe even John Rigby himself in the 1910's. Karnis has sent me pictures via PM and I hope to have it in hand and on the rifle again later this week.

Another campfire member allowed me to buy his tapered octagon barreled Len Brownell Original Custom Mauser with spectacular wood and metalwork last summer for an amazingly low price that I was able to cover by selling my custom 257WBY to Eric M here at the 'fire. It is now a gorgeous 7mm Mashburn Super and I took a buck with it at 506 yards two weeks ago.

A few years ago I stumbled onto a Biesen Stocked Sako Riihimaki 222 at a small town Pawn Shop. When it was offered up to me at only $700.00 I nearly re-tore my rotator cuff reaching for my wallet! That little 222 rifle consistently places three Moly'ed 50gr TNT's into one ragged cloverleaf time after time at 100 yards and is oft used by one of my Pastors daughters to blast Rodents with at stupid long ranges with great success.

I have sold almost every other firearm except these and my Benelli Super BLack Eagle (My only shotgun for 15 years now and another candidate for a holy Grail Gun) As I cannot see needing any others and actually feel kind of guilty adding anything to these.

I am amazed, still, at how these came to me and fully recognize how very fortunate and blessed I am. I could never have afforded these by the normal means of building them or aquiring them at thier full values. MARK

Should be on the way tomorrow. Make sure to post pics after it's all assembled. I'll try and take some better pics in the sunlight...... grin whistle

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Shiloh Sharps 1874 Montana Roughrider, .45-70 (aka .45 2 1/10"), 30"octagonal barrel, MVA Sharps style front globe sight with spirit level, Mid-Range Soule Tang sight with Hadley eyecup. grin

Ed

This would come pretty close.

The original international turd
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Karnis
Originally Posted by safariman
To the OP, my freind Kevin Gibson...

I am immeasureably blessed to now own firearms that not so long ago I could only dream of having.

One of them is the now highly modified COlt DElta ELite that you so kindly installed the Wilson parts onto and tuned for me sir! Another hearty thank you from here.

One is my 416 Rigby. I bought it and modified it with a model 70 style safey, NECG trigger, Weisner bottom metal, full length glass bedding etc but it wil later this week be a DREAM rifle because Karnis, when I was so very sick and fighting for my life made me a deal I could not refuse and has transformed the stock on it form an OK but porky CZ stock into a gorgeous, svelte, handy feeling piece of art that looks like it came from the hands of skilled craftsmen at John Rigby's or Maybe even John Rigby himself in the 1910's. Karnis has sent me pictures via PM and I hope to have it in hand and on the rifle again later this week.

Another campfire member allowed me to buy his tapered octagon barreled Len Brownell Original Custom Mauser with spectacular wood and metalwork last summer for an amazingly low price that I was able to cover by selling my custom 257WBY to Eric M here at the 'fire. It is now a gorgeous 7mm Mashburn Super and I took a buck with it at 506 yards two weeks ago.

A few years ago I stumbled onto a Biesen Stocked Sako Riihimaki 222 at a small town Pawn Shop. When it was offered up to me at only $700.00 I nearly re-tore my rotator cuff reaching for my wallet! That little 222 rifle consistently places three Moly'ed 50gr TNT's into one ragged cloverleaf time after time at 100 yards and is oft used by one of my Pastors daughters to blast Rodents with at stupid long ranges with great success.

I have sold almost every other firearm except these and my Benelli Super BLack Eagle (My only shotgun for 15 years now and another candidate for a holy Grail Gun) As I cannot see needing any others and actually feel kind of guilty adding anything to these.

I am amazed, still, at how these came to me and fully recognize how very fortunate and blessed I am. I could never have afforded these by the normal means of building them or aquiring them at thier full values. MARK

Should be on the way tomorrow. Make sure to post pics after it's all assembled. I'll try and take some better pics in the sunlight...... grin whistle

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

WOW, that is SOOOO cool! I am just utterly speachless. Thank you my freind from the bottom of my heart.

MARK

PS yes,, I will be posting pictures of it all together.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm still looking for mine (or I should stay still waiting to be able to buy it).

A lever action .357/.38 but not the new poorer quality guns.

The common ones today are the Rossi's( nope, sorry) and the new Marlins that just feel like a gun Wal-Mart would design.

I eventually get an older one and spend $700 or more on it.

Of the current guns I own, I'm still a Savage 99 fan. Not a shock to this group I'm sure because its what drew me to this board in the first place.

I also want a heavy barrel CZ or Howa in .308. A good "varmint" gun. That will come later.

I get those 2 and I'll be done. I'll start buying for my son after that.

Last edited by KFWA; 10/24/12.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine would be a pristine 99 takedown with the case and the .410 barrel.

Shotgun would be a Winchester 21 or a Sterlingworth, 20 guage straight stock.

Last edited by gophergunner; 10/24/12.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by logger
For me it would be a nice 1923 Winchester 94 rifle 30-30 in good shape.

You know, the Winchester 94 is THE most common sporting rifle in the world with over 7 million made. And while the pre-1930 �94�s are the best of the best, they don�t exactly fit my description of �fine� guns. Yet there�s still something very magical about them. They�re �fine� in their own way. No, they�re not made with the care of a truly �fine� bespoke gun out of London or Scotland, but they are a testament to how �fine� a mass production gun can be made. The wood is just a little nicer with that subtle red tint that only pre-War Winchesters seem to have and the buttstock has the flat on top that�s referred to as the ��92 style stock�. Fit of wood to metal is not perfect, but just shy of. Metal finish shows obvious polishing marks, but somehow it just wouldn�t be right without those polishing marks creating a �grain� look to the metal. And finish�oh man, that old Carbonia type bluing�there�s just nothing like it. Translucent in appearance, yet deep charcoal in color at the same time. The hammer is finely checkered with a border rather than haphazard serrations all the way across. Open sights of that era are quite similar to that of 50 years later, but the sight just wreaks of quality, where the same sights 50 years later just eeks out �we�re trying to save money�. All is fit together very well and the action finishes with a tactile and audible snap when the lever ends its stroke as the shell riser snaps into position.

XL5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EricM
Originally Posted by XL5
The Boss 12-ga SxS that Ernest Hemingway killed himself with.

It probably wasn't a Boss, but rather his W. & C. Scott & Son pigeon gun. Check this out: http://biblioklept.org/2011/07/02/ernest-hemingways-suicide-gun/

Wallaby darned.

Thanks for the link.

Alle Fähigkeit ist vergeblich, wenn ein Engel in Ihrem Notenloch uriniert
-- old German proverb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an original Winchester Model 94 that my grandfather won on a punchboard back in the 30's in Corpus Christi, Texas by punching in my grandmother's first name. It still has about 98% of the original bluing on it. He killed piles of deer with it over the years in the Hill Country. I wouldn't take for it. I'll pass it down to my son.

That said, if I could get something new, it'd probably be a David Miller Marksman in .300 Weatherby Magnum with one of his custom made scope mounts.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have my HG guns.

For handguns it's a Colt Woodsman Bullseye Match Target.

[Linked Image]

For shotguns a Sauer drilling.

[Linked Image]

And for hunting rifles a pre-64 M70 Featherweight .358 W.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A Mike Brooks Type "G" Carolina trade gun...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

20 gauge (.62 cal) smoothbore, four foot-long barrel, six pounds and change assembled. Handles like a magic wand with a flintlock attached.

Actually, at $1,800 it ain't all that out of reach, its just all the OTHER stuff that needs paying for first grin

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Not a "grail gun" per se' but I would not mind having a personally owned HK MP7A1 with a suppressor and a connex box full of ammo to go with it. smile

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
A Mike Brooks Type "G" Carolina trade gun...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

20 gauge (.62 cal) smoothbore, four foot-long barrel, six pounds and change assembled. Handles like a magic wand with a flintlock attached.

Actually, at $1,800 it ain't all that out of reach, its just all the OTHER stuff that needs paying for first grin

Birdy,
That's nice. Always wanted a Brooks Fowler.
I do have a Stroh J�ger in .54 that shoots like a dream. Would go good with a Brooks gun.
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i found mine a couple years ago. NIB remington 7600 factory carbine in 35 whelen. it will be next to last to leave my collection right before my dads rem 141 35. i hope to never have to see it go.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rem141r
i found mine a couple years ago. NIB remington 7600 factory carbine in 35 whelen. it will be next to last to leave my collection right before my dads rem 141 35. i hope to never have to see it go.

I've got a beautiful 141 .35, I think I'll try an old Mississippi buck with this year...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have mine, Dad gave it to me when we were allowed to go semi-autos on the force. 1952 Colt Commander .38 Super.

Still the favorite even though it gets little carry time any more.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 1941 M21 Custom Ordered by John Olin for Lou Wasey, the head of Irwin Wasey advertising agency.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cartod; 10/27/12.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Either a Sauer 202 or a really nice drilling.

Traded the Sauer 202 Lux in .300 winchester to Cabelas for an upper end spotting scope.

Get sick to my stomach every time I think about it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For it's this one right here I already own it,it's a Springfield 30/06.

[Linked Image]

With this on a close second it's my Granddad's '94 Winchester made in 1908.

[Linked Image]

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mako25
Not necessarily own, but I know of one 6.5 Carcano I'd like the opportunity to find out just how accurate really is.

Another is a Walther PPK 7.65 that reportedly resided in Stalin's control after it was lifted from Hitler's suicide couch. That one, I'd like to own.

For a daily driver, a Savage-actioned 6MM AI, with 26" medium contour, spiral fluted, SS barrel, diamond chip front bead sight, in 1 in 8 twist. I'd want the action anodized bright red, maybe some gold inlay. Stock would be a Serengeti Stockworks stealth lamination. Timney Trigger would do just fine. Topped with talley QD rings, with a rear-peep base.

It'd be too pretty to scope, or shoot - but I would.

You said Savage,and pretty,in the same post.There's bound to be a punishment for that. grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,469 guests, and 847 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,308
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.