-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I recently was given an upper receiver from my father. I am shopping around for a lower. Prices aren't bad, but stock IS! Even for "generic" brands. However, polymer lowers are readily available and inexpensive. I know when Glock came out people were skeptical at the thought of a "plastic" pistol, but we know how that has turned out. What are the prevailing opinions of polymer AR-15 lower receivers? Worth it? Durability? I won't be shooting magazine after magazine until the barrel melts down, just some target shooting and maybe some yotes. Should I wait for something else to become available? I would like to hear your thoughts, not just 'they suck, don't get one.' Tell me your experience with them.

Thanks,

Phil

Last edited by philgood80; 10/25/12.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't see a problem with them. They work on pistols like your said. The upper takes most of the action with the bolt sliding back and forth. The mainspring in the rear might put some pull off the rear of the receiver, but it shouldn't be a big problem. You can buy a complete lower assembly at a gun show for about $250 which is about what it would take to build one.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
They're okay but the buffer tube threading is definitely the weakest point. The AR wasn't made to accommodate it.

Shop around. Try AIM surplus.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
while not an AR, my AR180B has a polymer lower. I have sent a lot of rounds down range with this one, and have had no problems at all with it.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't buy a polymer lower.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Don't buy an inferior polymer lower with inferior polymer blends. New Fronteir is good stuff. They stand behind their stuff 110%. These are not the "plastic" lowers pf old... Buy with confidence.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I figured that would be a weak point. Didn't know it would be that bad. Go with milspec aluminum. On the polymar pistols there isn't as much pressure on the frame.

Also on the AR-180, it has a piston gas system taking the pressure, not direct blowback.

Last edited by Dixie_Dude; 10/26/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would be hesitant

There is a very good reason smith & wesson puts a polymer lower on their M&P 15-22 in .22LR and an equally good reason the put an aluminum lower on their base model AR

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So far, my hesitation has been justified, IMO. I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy the S & W lower and save a little longer for a parts kit, butt stock, pistol grip, and optic. Thanks all for the input guys!

Phil

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The plum crazy lowers had a few that broke as well but not to worry, they did have a lifetime guarantee.

Until they went out of business.

I just don't understand the mentality of buying something cause it's cheaper. Buying things because they are better makes so much more sense.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by philgood80
So far, my hesitation has been justified, IMO. I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy the S & W lower and save a little longer for a parts kit, butt stock, pistol grip, and optic. Thanks all for the input guys!

Phil

Aim surplus usually has something cheaper, unless you're getting a deal on the smith.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got a S & W stripped for $130, tax and transfer fee included. I didn't think it was a bad deal. Considering a "lesser" brand was 80, plus $20 shipping, plus a $20 transfer fee, I would have paid $120 anyway. So, I figured for $10 more, the Smith was well worth it.

Speaking of the lesser brands, I was recently told by a dealer that there are only about 4 manufacturers of AR lowers, and different producers put their stamps on one of those fours.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sounds about right, but I don't consider a S&W lower better than the cheaper ones (excepting Deleware).

I'm sure it'll work, either way.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
There are different companies that produce raw for forgings like Cardinal, Cerro, Diemaco, Martin Marrietta, Alcoa and several others around the world. Then companies like Colt machine those forgings in house to their specs and then anodize them.

Smaller companies may have someone like LMT or CMT do their work but probably more than 4 doing it. For most of us it doesn't make much difference but tolerances can stack and some like Rock River build high shelf lowers to preclude anyone using an RDIAS like Colt did with the block they used. Now they have a web built in.

Basiy, as long as its in spec and finished right it matters little who's name is on the side.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TWR
There are different companies that produce raw for forgings like Cardinal, Cerro, Diemaco, Martin Marrietta, Alcoa and several others around the world. Then companies like Colt machine those forgings in house to their specs and then anodize them.

Smaller companies may have someone like LMT or CMT do their work but probably more than 4 doing it. For most of us it doesn't make much difference but tolerances can stack and some like Rock River build high shelf lowers to preclude anyone using an RDIAS like Colt did with the block they used. Now they have a web built in.

Basiy, as long as its in spec and finished right it matters little who's name is on the side.

LMT buys their lowers from Knight, or more precisely Knight's seconds. Box triggers don't fit for [bleep] in LMT lowers cause the internal demensions aren't "milspec" whatever that [bleep] means. I'll take my chances with DPMS parts mostly, add a good barrel, and build it myself.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I keep seeing this trend. Try to find someone who has one. Check it out for yourself.

I have put together two polymer lowers from New Frontier. I have nearly 1k rounds through my NF polymer lower. Only issues are that the pin holes are tight, and take some work to get them in.

I'd buy another. I'd be just as likely to buy a blem Spikes on sale too.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Geffray Mynshul
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
H
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by TWR

LMT buys their lowers from Knight, or more precisely Knight's seconds. Box triggers don't fit for [bleep] in LMT lowers cause the internal demensions aren't "milspec" whatever that [bleep] means. I'll take my chances with DPMS parts mostly, add a good barrel, and build it myself.

I was told LMT makes their own and produces them for other companies. They do get the SOPMOD stocks from KAC. As for dpms, anyone can use whatever they want, even box triggers.

As a dealer for LMT, I spoke with them about PWA and Karl Lewis' ties. If you have something other than an arfcom link I'd love to see evidence otherwise.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Skivvy, I'll pass on plastic lowers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i've shot thousands of rounds thru the plumcrazy lowers with out any problems . also had a american tactical omni polymer that worked well. the plumcrazy is polymer hammer but the omni has a regular parts kit in it. at 125.00 each they are both a great buy.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 56 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,308
Posts18,487,182
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.