Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'll let him know after he finishes waterboarding the Coyote they caught last night.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Does he do any 'protection' or 'apprehension' work?

If so, tell him he doesn't skeer me.... grin

I take Malinois two at a time!

OK...thats a lie... one at a time... wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had two Rott's for a while. The female was a wonderful dog, one of the best I've ever owned. She was a great family dog and was very friendly to everybody that came over, as long as she had met them first with us around. Had no problem with friends feeding her and taking care of her while we were gone. But, strangers were a different story. She was very protective of her "family and friends".

The male we had was a different story. I bought him while I was single and in college (had the female during the same time frame that he was there). He was strictly a one person dog. I'll just say he was moody, or if a male dog could have PMS, he had it grin
If I lived by myself, with and wanted a dog loyal to me and that would protect me to his death (or someone else's eek), he is the dog I'd want. Problem was, I was getting married and he didn't want anything to do with my fiance. The first time that she had to get on to him and he growled and snapped at her, that was it. I couldn't have him around if I couldn't trust him not to bite her.

So, I called a local wrecking yard. The owner loved Rott's and was a good man. He was thrilled to take him. Talked to him a few times over the years and he he said that the dog was doing great and was the best dog he ever owned. To be honest, I was surprised that the dog warmed up to him, but was glad that he did.

I asked a tow truck driver that worked for that business what he thought of that dog. His face turned pale and he just stammered "I hate that damned demon dog!"

I'd take another dog like the female any day. She died at 7 yrs old of cancer.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by viking
Thoughts for my next dog.

Airdale

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will get a Dane,

But between the two I guess it would be a Dobe

Still both are pretty far down my list

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
IC B2

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have heard great things about the Airdal and 'Dane.

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

As far as Danes go I know the good things you have heard are true.

IMO... The Dane is the most under estimated breed on the planet.

They are a loving gentle breed who is good with kids and other pets.

I am very bias cause I have had Danes or Dane Mixes for 34 years but still many still folks think they are too big.

The one thing you must accept before you get a Dane is they live between 8 to 12 years.

The larger they are the closer to lower limit they live.

While I really miss the Danes I have had�

Pat, Conan, Bleu�

I know I will have another.

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RyanTX

I asked a tow truck driver that worked for that business what he thought of that dog. His face turned pale and he just stammered "I hate that damned demon dog!"

Employers love dogs that intimidate employees even after they have been around a while.
That they spread rumors of the "viscous dog" is just gravy.

IME, female rotts are one of the most naturally obedient dogs and show discernment between friends,family, delivery guys, etc.
Males are a little more reactive.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Shepherd or Rottie. I have had Rotties and my younger brother loves Shepherds., both great Dog lines if bred and raised correctly. I trust Dobies as much as I would trust a Pittbull .

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"However, it was to the Rottweiler which the early Doberman strongly resembled, that the breed owes so much of its substance, bravery and reliable guarding ability. "

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by viking
Thoughts for my next dog.

If those are your only candidate breeds, then the dob, but for what real reasons do you want a dog?

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Trap guns, punji pits, and pots of boiling oil perched above the door all serve as well without needing to be fed. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by FVA
"However, it was to the Rottweiler which the early Doberman strongly resembled, that the breed owes so much of its substance, bravery and reliable guarding ability. "

When I was in grade school had a friend that was hospitalized for the mere fact he walked into a home that had 2 dobies present, it was a friends house BTW. Granted the people that owned them were Retards but it seemed that every member of this breed that I ran into as a kid was vicious. I much prefer the looks of a properly bred Rottie(German import) or a Shepherd.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have had two Rotties at the same time. The older one was about 125 and the younger one perhaps 165, so big I could not clench my hands around his chest. Both were un-neutered.

Scary smart and highly protective of the property.

I believe because they ended up being in a dominance fight within the house that they got a little over the top. I ended up giving them away when one of them growled at my son as he toddled by at 18 months ( they were never in the same room again). That said. I would get another in a heart beat now.

My observations of their behavior center on their intellect and willfulness.
When you try to get them to do something, they think about it, and if they are so inclined, they follow your direction. If they really don't want to do something, good luck. An alpha male owner is a necessity for daily wear and tear. If you want a compliant, tail wagging fool, get a Lab ( no slam, I love Labs......).

The older, 125 lb one I had was the strongest dog I have ever encountered. He was also absolutely scary fast over 50 yds or so, just pure, raw, power.

A quick story.....

One evening, the younger one was chewing on a Nylabone, which was the older dog's. the older one looked at him, trotted into the dining room and barked once by the front window. The younger dog went running through the kitchen to see what was up while the older one circled back and grabbed the bone. Proceeding to chew contentedly on said bone for the rest of the evening.

The next night, the younger one has again seized the contested bone. The older one looks on and trots into the dining room, repeating the one bark trick. The younger one stands and takes a step towards the kitchen and then reverses direction and launches into the doorway into the living room, stopping the older dog in his tracks as he had been running back. The younger one then turns and resumes chewing on the bone. That is what I mean by scary smart. The older one deliberately tried to distract/trick the younger one, and it worked exactly once.

I once had a fiercely loyal Chesapeake Bay Retriever, he would fall for the same throw the Milkbone into the basement and then slam the door behind him trick every day for years. Huge difference in intellect.

The Rotties are a very impressive breed. If you get one, and everything lines up with your situation and your temperament. You will probably sleep very well at night.

Last edited by spr1; 10/29/12.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A quick follow up. The older one had another Nylabone, one of the big ones, these things are intended to last for months and are basically fiber reinforced Nylon. They are not intended for consumption. I had thought they were indestructible.

I heard a crunching sound sound from the family room and looked over to see the Rotty, we had named him Thor, breaking the bone into little chunks and eating it. The whole process just lasted a few minutes, about the same amount of time it took him to puke it back up........

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ingwe
To diretly address the OPs question. On a relative scale Dobes are 'soft' dogs with more than a few genetic problems. Rotts are harder headed and in need of an owner more wilfull than they are. A little harder to get a lesson through to them, but on the whole less genetic problems and I think a better personality.
I only had one Doberman, and he was rock solid healthy his whole life till he was ten. Then he developed early stage cardiomyopathy. He had to be put down about a month before he reached his twelfth birthday. But that's approximately their expected lifespan, and a dog has to die from something. It's usually that or cancer that eventually takes a dog.

PS Dobermans and Rotts are probably not beginners dogs, as you need to be their master or they will become yours. A friend of mine was so impressed with the perfect obedience, friendly disposition, and good behavior of my Doberman that he want and bought a pup for himself (thinking that these traits just came attached to the breed, rather than realizing it had to do with who raised it and how). Before it was eight months old it had thoroughly dominated him and his family. When my friend tried to turn things around to their proper order, the Doberman took a chunk out of him before he was a year old. They put it down after that. Be the dog's master from the time it's a little pup. Goes for any dog, but especially for the guard and protection breeds.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Foxbat
If you want an intelligent dog that is fearless and loyal get a Doberman. If you want Mongo from Blazing Saddles, who is also fearless and loyal, and don't mind drool or your house, barn, garage etc., turned into a chew toy, get a Rottweiler.

grin I must agree.

V
viking Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
There are only 2 dog breeds that I have a loathing for, puddles and pits.

I have a dog now that I got as a pup. .25 Dobe, .5 cocker spaniel, 1/8 each of pit and fox hound. Very smart, easy to train. That's what the guys said he was, honest to God.

There is just something to be said for those German breeds. We also have a .5 min pin, I am glad that old bitch is not 70 pounds, hell even 30 pounds.

21 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A Rotty will forever think they are your dog. A Doberman thinks they share your last name.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by spr1
I have had two Rotties at the same time. The older one was about 125 and the younger one perhaps 165, so big I could not clench my hands around his chest. Both were un-neutered.

Scary smart and highly protective of the property.

I believe because they ended up being in a dominance fight within the house that they got a little over the top. I ended up giving them away when one of them growled at my son as he toddled by at 18 months ( they were never in the same room again). That said. I would get another in a heart beat now.

My observations of their behavior center on their intellect and willfulness.
When you try to get them to do something, they think about it, and if they are so inclined, they follow your direction. If they really don't want to do something, good luck. An alpha male owner is a necessity for daily wear and tear. If you want a compliant, tail wagging fool, get a Lab ( no slam, I love Labs......).

The older, 125 lb one I had was the strongest dog I have ever encountered. He was also absolutely scary fast over 50 yds or so, just pure, raw, power.

A quick story.....

One evening, the younger one was chewing on a Nylabone, which was the older dog's. the older one looked at him, trotted into the dining room and barked once by the front window. The younger dog went running through the kitchen to see what was up while the older one circled back and grabbed the bone. Proceeding to chew contentedly on said bone for the rest of the evening.

The next night, the younger one has again seized the contested bone. The older one looks on and trots into the dining room, repeating the one bark trick. The younger one stands and takes a step towards the kitchen and then reverses direction and launches into the doorway into the living room, stopping the older dog in his tracks as he had been running back. The younger one then turns and resumes chewing on the bone. That is what I mean by scary smart. The older one deliberately tried to distract/trick the younger one, and it worked exactly once.

I once had a fiercely loyal Chesapeake Bay Retriever, he would fall for the same throw the Milkbone into the basement and then slam the door behind him trick every day for years. Huge difference in intellect.

The Rotties are a very impressive breed. If you get one, and everything lines up with your situation and your temperament. You will probably sleep very well at night.

Not too sure I'd want a dog that could kick my ass and is smarter than me... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1badf350, 1234, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 57 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,353
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.