E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ribka
Some of the early Stoney wolf productions were entertaining

http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=9014
10-4 there.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Any show without bad accents and a soundtrack.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The kind of hunting show I would like to see?

Bring back The American Sportsman with Curt Gowdy or at least follow its style as closely as possible. That was decent.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can sit in a 'blind' from dawn to dusk or sit in a 'boat' for even longer, and love every minute of it.

But I can't stand to watch one 'second' of Hunting and Fishing Shows on TV.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by teal

This.

I can't stand the heavy-metal headbanger bullschitt music so many of these shows use now. The folksy acoustic guitar soundtracks are almost as bad, but at least they don't give me a headache like the metal does.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Old_Writer
Okay, let's say I'm a TV producer (which I am). What kind of hunting show would you like to see?

Since you asked...

Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by teal

This.

I can't stand the heavy-metal headbanger bullschitt music so many of these shows use now. The folksy acoustic guitar soundtracks are almost as bad, but at least they don't give me a headache like the metal does.

Without a doubt..! Nothing will get me to change the channel faster than loud music on a hunting show.

And while we're at it, other things that will get turned off.

Any of the made up nonsensical "lingo" that glorifies slang.

For example: thunder chicken, speed goat, boom stick, stick n string, smack down, whack em n stack em, if it's brown its down, shooter buck, the big daddy rabbit, Big 'ole Freak Nasty, etc, etc.....who talks like that in the real world.?

Any fist bumping, man-hugging, ass slapping, whooping and hollering. My dad would have kicked my a$$ if I'd have acted like that in the woods, yet they show grown men still doing it.

Making a bad shot on a deer and then trying to pass it off as "letting everything rest and find it in the morning." Most people would come back to a coyote ravaged pile of bones.

Any of the "professional hunters" who drive overnight and arrive at 3 A.M. to be put in a blind they've never seen before, on a piece of land they've never been to, to shoot deer they know nothing about and call that hunting.

I'd like to see a show with a guy with his longbow or flintlock who knows how to hunt. None of this show up and kill a deer off a pile of corn crap.

Lets see a guy travel around the Eastern 2/3rd's of the U.S. and hunt public land like some of us have to hunt,..see how successful they are then.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hate all the tech chit they use. A scope that ranges then puts a dot where the bullet will hit... Where's the skill in that???

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
There was a show called Taxidermy Trails that was on some time ago ,about a guy and his longbow,good down to earth show. Thank god for the Bad Boy Buggy ,otherwise ole babe would never be able to waddle into the woods.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
don't watch those shows on TV.

+1

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like watching Benny Spies! Flame on. laugh

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okay, let's say I'm a TV producer (which I am). What kind of hunting show would you like to see?

Steven Rinella's "MeatEater" is the only thing worth watching. Production is tops. "American Buffalo" was a great read and "The Scavanger's Guide to Haute Cuisine" is parked on the shelf for a cold winters night.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I just canceled my outdoors channel too,as I find I just never watch it. There are a few good shows on that I like to watch,but they are aired infrequently and I end up missing them. I like Fred Eichler, seems like he actually knows what he's doing and has killed lots of stuff with a traditional bow,which gets my respect. He does get pretty excited, but you can tell it's real.

I think the phoney excitement,whoopin and hollering and carrying on is what gets to me most. I know people react differently to shooting a good deer, but I wish they would just stick to the real,honest emotion. Watching a guy walk up to a deer(into the camera,too) and then pretend to be just so super excited about the buck he just now tracked and found is somewhat insulting to a persons intelligence.

Look at the pics people post here of thier kills. Does it look like they are hooting and fist-bumping and acting like a fool? Winnie 1300 just killed his first buck and posted pics of it,and he managed to look like a happy but well-composed and mature young man. That's the image I'd like people to see when they think of hunters, not some barely-literate redneck throwing around nonsensical jargon or some fat slob who looks like he can barely walk up to the deer,much less drag it out.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ribka
What type of scent removal were they using? Clothes or spray? laugh

Was Babe and his wife wearing lots of gold jewelry?

I always get a kick out of that. They get busted by the deer standing under their tree stand with his nose in the air. They bemoan their poor luck as the deer bolts. And all of this after they had a commercial hawking the latest scent control product.

Do they not use it or does the stuff just not work?

Guess they should have been wearing their Bone Collector shirt.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 16bore

Steven Rinella's "MeatEater" is the only thing worth watching. Production is tops. "American Buffalo" was a great read and "The Scavanger's Guide to Haute Cuisine" is parked on the shelf for a cold winters night.

I recently discovered "MeatEater" and was impressed. I've only seen a couple of shows so far, but he was on his own and showed his success and failures. No crazy music, fist pumping or other silliness.

He does use a rather high dollar rifle, but he doesn't seem to constantly hawk a bunch of stuff.

Anybody know what rifle that is? I'm having a senior moment. smile

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It must be the casual hunters or perhaps want-to-be hunters that watch these shows or sponsors would not be paying. I too seldom watch hunting shows. My two biggest turn offs are whispering after a kill shot & man hugs. I have been fortunate to go on quite a few guided hunts & never experienced man hugs. Any guides I know would rather wallow in a gut pile than be hugged by a guy. Hunting shows filmed in Africa are usually much better.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I usually skim past the 'hunting' shows as fast as I bypass all the other reality shows.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
Originally Posted by 16bore

I recently discovered "MeatEater" and was impressed. I've only seen a couple of shows so far, but he was on his own and showed his success and failures. No crazy music, fist pumping or other silliness.

He does use a rather high dollar rifle, but he doesn't seem to constantly hawk a bunch of stuff.

Anybody know what rifle that is? I'm having a senior moment. smile

Carolina Custom....

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I think all the low points have been covered:

Bad guitar riffs.

Incessant shilling.

Pimping the ladies.

Cloying lingo (what the hell is a "toad", and do I really need to be a "bone collector" to get one?)

Canned hunts. I don't care about your 180 inch buck that was raised like a beefsteak and is genetically superior to all other bucks on the planet. If you order your critter off a menu, it ain't huntin'.

Faux drama. My wife calls these shows "fat guys breathing hard and whispering" shows. I keep telling her, that's just how us fat guys talk.

I'll add one I don't think has been mentioned--because I'm an old curmudgeon:

This obsession with super-duper, ultra long-range kills is getting tough to take. Back in my day (insert old codger voice here) the object was to see how close you could get without being detected. You're not chasing international war criminals here.

Next thing you know they'll be putting scopes on muzzleloaders...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
What kind of scope would work best on a 58 caliber flintlock? grin

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Just my opinion, mind you, but I think the best way to deal with those shows is get rid of the dam television and find something real to do with your time. We don't have TV in our home. From what I've seen of these television animal snuff-flic informercials they are geared to the same mentality that will load up on all sorts of ridiculous gear at the big box hillbilly hardware store and every couple of years pop a deaf, dumb blind spike buck.... whoa....do I need another cup of coffee, maybe one of those pills the wife makes me take before company comes over....anyway, end of rant...

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (1234, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,792 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,418
Posts18,528,245
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.