Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by KCrowley
I think all the low points have been covered:

Bad guitar riffs.

Incessant shilling.

Pimping the ladies.

Cloying lingo (what the hell is a "toad", and do I really need to be a "bone collector" to get one?)

Canned hunts. I don't care about your 180 inch buck that was raised like a beefsteak and is genetically superior to all other bucks on the planet. If you order your critter off a menu, it ain't huntin'.

Faux drama. My wife calls these shows "fat guys breathing hard and whispering" shows. I keep telling her, that's just how us fat guys talk.

I'll add one I don't think has been mentioned--because I'm an old curmudgeon:

This obsession with super-duper, ultra long-range kills is getting tough to take. Back in my day (insert old codger voice here) the object was to see how close you could get without being detected. You're not chasing international war criminals here.

Next thing you know they'll be putting scopes on muzzleloaders...

Exactly! That's why I don't watch the killing shows anymore myself although I did watch meateater a couple of times and it was an improvement. I believe if a couple of guys would take their cameras around the country with no "hunting star" and file real guys really hunting in real situations it might work. Different hunters, places and game every week.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Old_Writer
Okay, let's say I'm a TV producer (which I am). What kind of hunting show would you like to see?
Gander Mountain sponsored one years ago, something about being out there IIRC.

It showed a caribou hunt in AK where they had to move camp at least once, saw almost ntohing and had to make a 5 mile or so stalk on a mid to small size bull to take home. Saw another where they fished hard for redfish and caught one or two. A shark trip where they caught nothing.

But they had real folks out doing the hunting and fishing. And it went over the habits of the game/fish, what to look for etc... how and why they were doing things IIRC. And that this was reality.

Those shows I loved. I'd like to see some on managment about age of deer, what can constitute a cull, harvesting does etc...

Real life stuff. But of course no one much will watch shows unless they are killing bucks larger than most will ever, and unless the deer bang flops right there and many other things.

Show us how you can hunt without scent block, without camo clothes and so on.

But though it'll never happen one can dream.

BTW quit with the 40-50 yard bow shot stuff, it sets a bad example. And as much as I can handle a long range rifle shot I think that stuff on TV should quit too. 99.9% of folks are not qualified for long rifle shots.

Its a rare day that I watch any of that crap on TV these days. They've lost me as a viewer totally. Especially since helping MAD film a turkey hunt once and you see how fake the filming all is.

I'd rather see the old clips of Fred Bear out there personally.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I don't watch them either. Tried a few times and just couldn't get into them. As others have said, the after kill "celebrations" I find in particular to be goofy and moronic, but that is just the tip of the iceberg about what I don't care for about them.

That game me a chuckle. grin

TC "scope" on my Lyman Deerstalker. grin

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All I know is I'd give Tiffany Lakosky the best 26 seconds of her life.........it'd be 26 seconds of fury grin

[Linked Image]

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by teal
Any show without bad accents and a soundtrack.

Andrew,

I'll check to make sure but the video I got was called Adrenilan Whitetails or something like that. I'll look for sure... but it was a group of WI boys hunting. No sponsors, no brands, no soundtracks, no bait, and it was different styles of hunting.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Okay, let's say I'm a TV producer (which I am). What kind of hunting show would you like to see?
I'd like to see some rabbit hunting with beagles. There was a show filmed in NY a few years ago where they actually did some deer drives and still hunting on public land. I enjoyed that one and all they shot were a forkhorn and a six point. Matches the hunting most of us get to do alot closer than all the canned hunt bullschit that's on all the time.

Right on!

Camp is where you make it.
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Nothing will make me yell at the TV faster then to watch a guy who just killed a deer "bang flop" grin then keep on whispering like the deer is standing under his stand. Hell, me and my boys talk louder then that when the deer are there. Why in the hell do they keep on whispering after the deer is dead. My wife just rolls her eyes as I shout at the TV. Maybe that's why I really don't watch them anymore.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hands down the best damn hunting show on TV is our own Randy Newberg's "On Your Own Adventures".

He doesn't use the mega dollar hunting guides that everyone else does, he doesn't sit in an apartment on stilts with a corn flinger in front of him, he isn't promoting high fence deer shoots, he ain't shooting a TC, instead he is a self guided, public land hard core hunter that is humble with class and ethics.

I really like this guy.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sasquatch Mountain Man is a good one, i know the guy personaly and he does it right, of course there is a little advertising but far less than alot of other shows.

Chris

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I really like this guy.

I can't much like anybody that has a camera crew following them around. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Watch very few of them myself these days and skip the vast majority of the White tail shows all together.

Used to enjoy Tiffany and whatever the name of the guy she's with when they filmed one another and you could see they really enjoyed what they were doing.

Now they've got camera men all over, 200+ trail cams I heard, and all the B.S.

Absolutely can't stand the wild game brothers, go dump out a 10-20.00 dollar pile of bait, set off a 10.00 buck bomb and shoot the first buck they see and get excited about it. If I had to spend 20-30 bucks everytime I went out to my local spot, I sure couldn't afford to go out very often.

Enjoy the On-your-own adventure show, believe that guy has been here on the fire in the past?

EDIT: No.1 pet peeve the last couple years is when they shoot something at last light and than for the sake of good lighting don't go recover the animal until the next morning.

Saw an episode with Roger Ragoon (spelling "dipsh*t") where he shot a buck here in SD with a rifle. Dropped in it's tracks and they still didn't go look for it until the following morning and than couldn't find it. YET, apparently the following spring the guide had found the skull/antlers and sent it to Roger and he was tickled pink to have recovered his deer.

Last edited by cal74; 10/30/12.

Life is just one damned thing after another
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Bad stuff......rebel yells, what a hawg, toad etc. Fat boys breathing hard and whispering +2. Thompson Contenders as the only rifle being used. Gag.

Does anybody know who the guy was that guided hunts in Alaska and lived somewhere in the midwest ( ?? ). He always had a camera on a chest rig, at the time I saw some of his shows he was in his mid thirties at the time......I thought he did a pretty darn good job. He didn't have several cameras and all the extra phoney dialog that they film afterwords.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How about one that shows how to prep and cook wild game? I mean REALLY cook. Not this chicken fried backstrap gravy bullschit, jerky, and grinding hamburger. I swear, friggin bubba's will skullphuck the hell outta camo patterns and scent killer crap only to ruin primo organic free range meat.

Schit...maybe I'll write my own damn book.

oh yeah....[bleep] the "trophy" hunters and the "thats a good management buck" tards as well. manage this, schitbag....

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I am getting more and more discussed with with both the hunting shows and the fishing shows for the reasons you point out, but also because most of the hosts sound more redneck than most of the rednecks i know. I am a born and raised southerner and I sound nothing like them. They give our sport and traditions a black eye.

tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Scopes on muzzle loaders and x bows during "primitive hunting sesons"

Then bragging about doing it the hard way and the kill be extra special.

"Looks like a good hit" as the animal limps away shot in the hind quarters or stomach.

I think all the low points have been covered:

Bad guitar riffs.

Incessant shilling.

Pimping the ladies.

Cloying lingo (what the hell is a "toad", and do I really need to be a "bone collector" to get one?)

Canned hunts. I don't care about your 180 inch buck that was raised like a beefsteak and is genetically superior to all other bucks on the planet. If you order your critter off a menu, it ain't huntin'.

Faux drama. My wife calls these shows "fat guys breathing hard and whispering" shows. I keep telling her, that's just how us fat guys talk.

This obsession with super-duper, ultra long-range kills is getting tough to take. Back in my day (insert old codger voice here) the object was to see how close you could get without being detected. You're not chasing international war criminals here.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Seminole39
All I know is I'd give Tiffany Lakosky the best 26 seconds of her life.........it'd be 26 seconds of fury grin

[Linked Image]
You watching for the hunting of deer or beaver? Big difference there.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Hands down the best damn hunting show on TV is our own Randy Newberg's "On Your Own Adventures".

He doesn't use the mega dollar hunting guides that everyone else does, he doesn't sit in an apartment on stilts with a corn flinger in front of him, he isn't promoting high fence deer shoots, he ain't shooting a TC, instead he is a self guided, public land hard core hunter that is humble with class and ethics.

I really like this guy.

I"ll have to see if I can find what channel and times this is on for late winter watching very possibly! Thanks. Jeff

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Seminole39
All I know is I'd give Tiffany Lakosky the best 26 seconds of her Your life.........it'd be 26 seconds of fury grin

[Linked Image]

Fixed it for ya.

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Better that than what i've seen going thur the abc'channels...foul words...allways mixed with some stupid & easy motherless sl*t.....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

What I'd like to see is a show that highlights different traditions and methods throughout the country. I can envision a duck hunt where you see the decoy preparation and placement, detail the wind, weather and barometric pressure. Go over the calls and methods and reasons....end with a wide moring sunrise panorama, hear the calls and the responses, have the ducks cupping..a shot rings out and fade to black.

Last edited by 257wby; 10/30/12.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 16,532 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,309
Posts18,545,542
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.