Print Thread
Hop To
P
pumpgun Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I am looking at getting some fleece hunting clothes. I have not used fleece in the past, prefering to use the dryplus thinsulate parka and bibs from cabelas. I have decided that they are way too heavy and have been looking at the Cabelas berber fleece outfitter jacket and the Cabelas fleece windstopper spot and stalk jacket. does any one have any direct experence with either of these? the area I hunt can gets snow at least one a sason and can get down below zero at any time. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
GB1

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I tried the fleece a couple years ( not the brands you named) and as long as I was just in snow, it was fine, although the snow would "cake" on it. If I got into weeds, burrs of any kind, I gained about ten pounds worth. I would "flesh out" my pants with a knife back at camp, ha! While fleece is light weight, I find I prefer pants in Saddlecloth material, one unlined, one insulated. It's burr resisitant, and tough. You put a set of polypropylene underwear on under the insulated type, move around a little, and you are warms as toast. Move a lot, and it doesn't get too hot. I like it so much, I haven't used my fleece in about 5 years. I use a Hydrofleece parka/jacket from Browning in combination, but for pants, can't beat the saddlecloth, IMO. Good luck, Jim.

James P. Knight
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I love fleece. I've got a Cabela's fleece Parka that is really nice. I've got some Polarguard that's good too. But the warmest, lightest, and the one that passes moisture the best is Patagonia's. Teamed with a good shell, and their Capilene underwear you can handle really bad weather wearing very little. You owe it to yourself to check their products out. E

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Buy and wear wool, it will keep you warm when it's cold and if it warms up and rains it will still keep you warm [Linked Image]<P>Don [Linked Image]<P>------------------<BR>A 300 Win Mag beats a 30-06 every time

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I like wool, too. I've got some excellent Cabela's, and Filson, wool pants, for instance. However, when wet, they only retain about half of their thermal efficency. They weigh alot, but they wear like iron. Teamed with good Gore-Tex gaiters, and a hip lenth wind shell, they are my prefered bad weather out fit, unless it's really windy,wet, and weight is an issue. But, for shirts/tops, fleece, particularly Patagonia's, has wool beat seven ways to Sunday. E

IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I like wool, too. I've got some excellent Cabela's, and Filson, wool pants, for instance. However, when wet, they only retain about half of their thermal efficency. They weigh alot, but they wear like iron. Teamed with good Gore-Tex gaiters, and a hip lenth wind shell, they are my prefered bad weather out fit, unless it's really windy,wet, and weight is an issue. But, for shirts/tops, fleece, particularly Patagonia's, has wool beat seven ways to Sunday. E

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sometimes it gets a little nippy during our deer season. Nothing like South Dakota, thats for sure but it does get down to 20 below. As I get older I find it more difficult to keep warm on those nippy days, hunting. Three years ago I attended the Sportsman show in Harrisburg, PA and stopped by the "King of the Mountain" booth. I already knew about their products from a fellow hunter. I was fitted for wool bibs, liner and jacket. They call it their "Standmaster" outfit. I was told how to layer and in what material clothing to layer for max warmth. I start with silk long johns, then heavy thermax, then polar fleece, then their bibs and jacket. If it gets down right cold I would zip the liner inside the jacket for added warmth. It must be said that "King of the Mountain" wool clothing isn't inexpensive but what is your life worth? If memory serves me correctly the "Standmaster" outfit was around $1200.00<P>Wind will not blow thru. If it rains it will add weight, no doubt about that. The bibs and jacket have a special lining they developed that stops the wind and moisture from passing thru. <P>At a later time I bought their glove system and plan on purchasing their "Bomber" hat. <P>I now sit out in cold temps comfy as can be. I don't know about you but I hate being cold. I shake enough as it is and I don't need the "shivers" as well, [Linked Image]<P>Don [Linked Image]<P>P.S. Their web addy is: <A HREF="http://www.kingofthemountain.com" TARGET=_blank>www.kingofthemountain.com</A><P><P>------------------<BR>A 300 Win Mag beats a 30-06 every time

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Can only say that in my limited experience nothing beats Polar-Tec fleece under Gore-Tex. Cabela's gear has always been great for me. Other brands have let me down. <P>While in Alaska last September (rain every day but above freezing temps) my wool was worn once and would not dry out. Fleece dried very quickly (after I had taken the shell off and fleece got wet). <P>I don't think you will regret buying Cabela's fleece gear. Heck if you do, let me know and I'll swap wool for anything in my size!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I gotta chime in with mike...I like fleece and gortex. Wool is great, if it is a choice between it and other natural fibers, but give me synthetics. In the wet/cold, it is the only thing I feel like putting on in the morning, after wearing it all day the day before, the only thing worse than cold wet wool in the morning is cold wet cotton. I can lay my cabelas dry-plus fleece parka over my holofill sleeping bag for extra warmth, and get up in the morning to dry clothes. Love my gortex lined boots too. Aside from smokeless powder and centerfire rifles, it is the greatest thing to come along since steel knife blades, for hunting. Only caveat, stay away from the fire! To go up in flames wearing it is an unimaginable nightmare.<P>John

"If a little's good, a lot's better, and way too much is just right!"
P
pumpgun Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
thanks for the feeddback guys. I do normally wear wool pants and intend to keep wearing the pants, but looking for a lighter(weight wise) jacket to wear over my wool sweater. rain is not a big issue here it would more than likely be snow during hunting season. tom

IC B3

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Pumpgun...<P>I've had two guides and an outfitter tell me I should wear fleece whn hunting elk. I too had Cabela's Oufitters Cloth gear and while it served me well by keeping me dry in driving rain and snow, it was awfully loud when stalking through dense brush. Fleece and/or wool should help combat this drastically. I recently purchased the Cabela's Camo Fleece jacket, pants, neck gaither and cap and can't wait to try it out in Wyoming this fall...

INDY
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Almost all of my Fleece is in black. I will take it over wool almost every time. It is much lighter and will dry out even if very wet in the sun for a short time. Wool weighs a ton when wet and will not dry out quickly in the sun. <P>Since I have been using Black Fleece I have not used any of my expensive wool clothes. I do like wool when it's below freezing or if I am not walking or climbing. Very rare for my style of hunting. <P>I use a North Face Mountain guide parka and a fleece zip in/out liner. This is a great combination for 40ish wet weather typical of my hunting conditions which also involve long walks/ or climbs in the bush and mountains. This North face system also has a zip in down liner as well if need be. <P>Fleece is light, quiet and in black drys very fast. I'll be using it until something better comes along. jj<P>------------------<BR>The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pumpgun, How's it going? I've converted to fleece for the top side. My jacket is a lightweight fleece with the windstopper liner. It is as warm as any ski jacket I've owned, but is still comfortable when it warms up. I throw a light fleece shirt in my pack for when it gets too cold. They are easily as warm as a sweatshirt and as JJ mentioned, dry fast and are much lighter.

P
pumpgun Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
hey mulie how goes it with you? things are ok around here. just counting the days till I find out what I drew. also still working on setting up the slam. still only have 5 confirmed. drop me a note sometime at the office. tom

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Tom, have you or Mulie-Stalker done any business with the company "Snow Leopard Mountain Sports": <A HREF="http://www.thesnowleopard.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.thesnowleopard.com/</A> in Evergreen, and Golden Colorado. Just ordered the Mountain Hardware Trango 3.1 Arch tent from them. They offered the same Memorial Day sale as R.E.I. 20% off. But by ordering through them, I didn't have to pay sales tax, and they had free shipping. Ran a search through the Better Business Bureau, and they didn't come up with anything good or bad. Just thought that you guy's living near by might know of them.<P>Phil

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Greyghost, no, but let me know how it works out. BTW, if you have problems, let me know and I'll be your 220 lb gorilla! I get over to Evergreen occassionally, I'll have to look them up.<P>BTW, the 220 grain nosler partitions I loaded up for my Canada bear hunt worked awesome. I'll post the story and a photo when I have a little time.<P>Pumpgun, give me a call at home when you have a chance. Muley.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Patagonia DOES make great fleecewear. Especially the kind with the outside "liner" that makes the fleese less permiable to wind.<P>It's too bad they support a ban on bear hunting.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Muley, got the tent yesterday, after talking to them on the phone last week. Everything came exactly when they promised, and in good condition. They were even able to include the footprint that they originaly said they would have to back order. I'm very pleased with their service.<P>I'll remember your offer of gorilla service in the future (grin) thank you.<P>Phil

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

Who's Online Now
525 members (222ND, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 219DW, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,485
Posts18,529,728
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.