Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bighorn Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
While elk hunting this season, I GPSed my shot location, and downloaded it into Google Earth.

The flag labelled 'Bowl' is where I shot from. There were 6 elk, including my bull, that emerged from the tree cover at the SW (lower left) part of the image, and fed in the lower green area for a half hour or so, before sundown. Then, just before the end of legal shooting light, they moved quickly along the tree line to the NE, and I dropped the bull at the 'Elk Kill' pin marker. The ruler feature says it's exactly 300 yards from me to the bull, as did my rangefinder.

I've been doing this for the past few years, pinpointing my locations on GPS and downloading them to Google Earth- kinda cool to relive where you were during the hunt.

[Linked Image]

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool! I was just doing something similar on Sunday--downloading GPS waypoints and tracks into Google Earth. It really helps me picture things in my mind as I think of jump off points to try new area.

Congrats on getting your elk!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i need to learn how to do this stuff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very cool! I was doing the same thing the other day using Garmin's Basecamp and BirdsEye imagery.

Eric

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I did that for my dall sheep hunt a few years ago. Every once in a while I look at the map and wonder how the hell I got up there.

Last edited by KCrowley; 10/31/12.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did that in 2010, will likely do it again.

[Linked Image]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Did that in 2010, will likely do it again.

Will you again give us the GPS coordinates of your next kills too? grin

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
won't do you any good, CH probably was on private land wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
won't do you any good, CH probably was on private land wink

Yup, Snake River Ranch, a Colorado "Ranching For Wildlife" ranch. Only open to Colorado residents and then by lottery.

We're back there this year, leave tomorrow morning at 0530. Plan to hunt the same mountain.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TJAY

TJAY -

Just so you know, Colorado's Ranching For Wildlife program isn't quite like hiring an outfitter to hunt private land.

First, the RFW licenses are limited (lottery only) cow tags and cost the same as any other resident limited license, $46. Depending on the ranch, you may be guided or not. In any case, RFW ranches cannot charge people with these licenses for the guide services.

Three Forks is an example of a ranch that provides guides. You ride in their vehicle and they are with you the entire time. Snake River has you follow the 'guides' in your own vehicle to the hunting spot you selected, where they point out pertinent details like property boundaries, then leave you to your own devices. You may or may not see them again.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just tried this today. My shoot was down over and up some hills so I couldn't get a good measure from google. I did get the GPS cord's from there and then used another website to figure it out. It was 466 yards. Now I am guessing a little on the kill location but I think I'm very close. Oh ya this was my very first Deer kill.

Attached Images

If you don't have anything nice to say, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

When it's time to bury your guns it's time to dig em up.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for the thread Bighorn, I didn't even know it was possible to calculate yardage using google earth. I went back and marked the bull I shot this year and where I was shooting from and got a distance total of 605 yards.....which was beyond what I figured it was. No wonder my first couple shots hit low.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 300stw
i need to learn how to do this stuff

Easy, download Google Earth software-free.
Use your GPS and save waypoint.
Open GE, connect your GPS to your computer. Use the upload feature to download your GPS waypoints to GE.

Save to desktop and your map pic is good.

I use GE lots for both play and work.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (160user, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 21, 50 invisible), 2,655 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,372
Posts18,527,387
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.