Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GunTruck50
People have their priorities mixed up.

yup...where I used to some folks were livin in run down trailers but had new trucks, atv's, and snowmobiles. had to keep up with the jones's

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
My sister is a teacher in a school with a lot of poor kids and I once asked her the same question. She said the following:

1. Rich people are worried about leaving a legacy. They already have everything they want and money isn't an object.
2. middle income folks are worried about improving their lives by getting nice stuff for them or their kids.
3. poor people don't own anything and they realize nobody will remember them after they pass away so the absolute most important thing to them is relationships here and now. Staying connected with their "network" no matter what is their top priority and a smart phone with Facebook is the easiest way to do that. Since they don't have money they never concern themselves with planning ahead financially, the "here and now" with their relationships is all they focus on.

It makes sense if you think about it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CodyM
My sister is a teacher in a school with a lot of poor kids and I once asked her the same question. She said the following:

1. Rich people are worried about leaving a legacy. They already have everything they want and money isn't an object.
2. middle income folks are worried about improving their lives by getting nice stuff for them or their kids.
3. poor people don't own anything and they realize nobody will remember them after they pass away so the absolute most important thing to them is relationships here and now. Staying connected with their "network" no matter what is their top priority and a smart phone with Facebook is the easiest way to do that. Since they don't have money they never concern themselves with planning ahead financially, the "here and now" with their relationships is all they focus on.

It makes sense if you think about it.

Some what accurate, especially #3. I work with some of these people from time to time,

Their financial planning is about 30 days, get through the month and the first will be here, "mo money" shows up and it's all good again.

Get through another 30 days..repeat.........

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Sky
Well the kids come to school with holes in their clothes. Usually dirty as well. Many need coats and gloves donated to them in the winter time. The majority depend on the free school breakfast/lunch for a meal. They are filthy and unkept, illiterate, and socially inept, but by gosh they can surf the web with the best of them on their Smartphones. Although not the same, but along similar lines WTH does a 1st grader need a cell phone for?!

Are these white kids?

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
So it looks like the minutes are subsidized, and the Private Entrepeneurs are rushing in to get their hands on that money, giving away the cell phones so the poor will use their cell service and they can be re-imbursed by Uncle Sugar?

God Bless their private enterprise hearts!

Take a look at University of Phoenix sometime, they have poor people lined up out the door, trying to get their hands on their "college loans".

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can understand social safety net programs but it seems like the government should get something in return....like sterilizing them so they can't reproduce more dependent people like themselves. On that topic, why aren't convicted felons sterilized before they leave prison? They can't vote or own a firearm but they have as many children as they want? Raising children is a far bigger responsibility than voting or own a gun.

Last edited by DP4; 10/30/12.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DP4
I can understand social safety net programs but it seems like the government should get something in return....like sterilizing them so they can't reproduce more dependent people like themselves. On that topic, why aren't convicted felons sterilized before they leave prison? They can't vote or own a firearm but they have as many children as they want? Raising children is a far bigger responsibility than voting or own a gun.

Not an overly smart sort of a fellow, are you?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by DP4

Smart enough to realize you are convicted felon typing on government computer.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by Big Sky
Well the kids come to school with holes in their clothes. Usually dirty as well. Many need coats and gloves donated to them in the winter time. The majority depend on the free school breakfast/lunch for a meal. They are filthy and unkept, illiterate, and socially inept, but by gosh they can surf the web with the best of them on their Smartphones. Although not the same, but along similar lines WTH does a 1st grader need a cell phone for?!

Are these white kids?

Sycamore

Probably, but does it matter?
I don't know where the OP teaches but here's the demographics from the 2000 census:

Demographics
Racial makeup

As of 2003, the population of Montana is 917,621.

The racial makeup of the state is:

90.6% White, non-Hispanic
0.3% Black
6.2% American Indian/Alaskan native
2.0% Hispanic, of any race
0.5% Asian
1.7% Mixed race
Source: U.S. Census Bureau, Census 2000.

The five largest ancestry groups in Montana are: German (27%), Irish (14.8%), English (12.7%), Norwegian (10.6%), American (5.1%).

from this link: http://hometownusa.com/mt/

I live in a rural area in E. Wa and most of the kids here are white, even the poor ones. They all seem to have phones. One of the other posters mentions the companies that are signing these folks up (not just kids either) just to get in on the money train. Looks/seems real similar to me to the mortgage companies that signed up just about anyone for a house during the boom. "Get a "Free" phone, just sign up for the service, we'll give you the first month free, and then maybe we can get some money for you from the govt to cover it" . ANy losses they take can no doubt be written down as a tax write off.

Maybe it's not the kids we should be complaining about, but the companies looking to make money however they can?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by DP4

Why would they want to sterilize them? That would do away with their voter base. If you notice we've gone from 27 million on foodstamps to 47 million since Obama has been in office. That's 20 million guaranteed democratic voters that will vote to re-elect Obama. If he does manage to get re-elected then it will prove to have been a brilliantly played move on the part of the democrats.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DP4
Originally Posted by DP4

Smart enough to realize you are convicted felon typing on government computer.

Actually d!ckhead, I am the manager of a local Rural Supplies store in Southern New South Wales Australia, I am typing on my office computer and have never been convicted of an indictable offense.

Better luck next time half-wit.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The Telecommunications companies are doing the same here, namely signing all and sundry up then milking the gravy train.

Can be a heck of a shock for the parents when the bill comes in.

Ought down + free phone = poverty/shock for parents.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As the ads tell you, if you are receiving/getting food stamps and government assistance, then you qualify for a government subsidized cell phone. Then they give you a phone number to call. The phone is free and Uncle O picks up the monthly tab. IF, you run out of minutes, you can apply for MORE, at no cost to you, also!! It's run regularly on BET and other cable channels in the Atlants area!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Darrel
As the ads tell you, if you are receiving/getting food stamps and government assistance, then you qualify for a government subsidized cell phone. Then they give you a phone number to call. The phone is free and Uncle O picks up the monthly tab. IF, you run out of minutes, you can apply for MORE, at no cost to you, also!! It's run regularly on BET and other cable channels in the Atlants area!

You are [bleep] me....I hope to Christ they do not pull the same stunt here, we cannot afford it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The have perverted the intent of the lifeline phone tax on everyones phone bill.

[Linked Image from ]
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
An interview on the street with school girls... everyone had at least one; many, several ; some.. a dozen! Phones!
You can pick them up from white vans on the street!

One girl admitted she had thirty phones at home!

Now tell me there is no way to trim government spending!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
There is no way to trim govt spending ( with the current crooked dimocraps in office).

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know that the phone issue is about race, If I recall Iowa has 8 million people, and the phone program has 1 million phones in circulation in that State,

I'm not an expert on Iowa, But I'm thinking it isn't full of Black Ghetto's .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
never been convicted of an indictable offense.

Have you ever been indicted for a convict-able offense? LOL

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

351 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 43 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,445
Posts18,528,751
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.