Print Thread
Hop To
B
bhemry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I've toyed with the idea of buying a Ruger SR9 off and on for a couple years; they feel pretty good in my hands. It seems like here on the 'Fire, everyone is strangely silent on them.

Has, or does anyone own one? What did/ do you think of them? I know that they had an early recall for something about the trigger.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Bought one for my parents to use for home defense. I shot it quite a bit to make sure it was reliable before giving it to them. Here's what I liked about the SR9:

Fed all ammo, very reliable & accurate. Low recoil, too.

Loaded round indicator. Manual Safety. Good Trigger. 17+1 round capacity.

Slide was easy to operate. Both parents were able to shoot well with it, & it did not jam when I tried to make it do so by "limp" wristing. My Glock 19 always jammed when Mom tried to shoot it. She has arthritis in her hands.

Overall, I would rate it as a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10. Great Pistol for a great price!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I can't explain why I have never been able to get excited over Ruger's centerfire autoloading pistols. Maybe the lines aren't right to my eye, or maybe it is something else. I'm not sure. My brother once owned one of the P97's and it shot well, but I couldn't develop an affinity for it.

I will say I could own one of the SR9's I think, if I caught one at a great price. More than likely, I'd attach a streamlight, and load it full of 124 grain +P Gold Dots for a house gun.

For me though, the truth is that I am beginning to be weary of plastic pistols. There can be no argument that they are good serviceable weapons, and it is even arguable that they are better for many applications, but I'm about to reach the point in my life where I get to shoot what I want to, instead of what I am made to shoot.

When that time gets here for sure, I'm pretty sure it won't be plastic. (From any manufacturer)

CT

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bhemry
I've toyed with the idea of buying a Ruger SR9 off and on for a couple years; they feel pretty good in my hands. It seems like here on the 'Fire, everyone is strangely silent on them.

Has, or does anyone own one? What did/ do you think of them? I know that they had an early recall for something about the trigger.

I did look them up and they do look to be good inexpensive guns. As somebody said once before do you want an expensive gun for self defense? These Rugers maybe a good answer for a self defense handgun.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Over the past decade, Ruger has had a bad habit of releasing products that haven�t been well tested; resulting in recalls. IIRC, there was a recall on the SR9 and the LCP shortly after they were introduced. This tarnishes their reputation and it�s hard to get it back. What little experience I�ve had with the SR9 has been rather good. They have excellent ergonomics, triggers aren�t horrible, they work flawlessly, and shoot straight; what more do you want?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
this is a crowded market place that ruger is compeating in. one has to ask how is the gun better than a glock?? the fact is its just not. the gun is substantially heavier than most of the polymer guns that rule this catagory, glocks, XD's, walther PPQ, M&P's and tons of others, heck I think the alloy framed CZ po1 comes close to that in weight and one can get the SA trigger pull with it. its just a gun that really offers nothing that isn't better covered by probably a dozen other pistols. nothing jumps out and says buy it to me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Over the past decade, Ruger has had a bad habit of releasing products that haven�t been well tested; resulting in recalls. IIRC, there was a recall on the SR9 and the LCP shortly after they were introduced. This tarnishes their reputation and it�s hard to get it back. What little experience I�ve had with the SR9 has been rather good. They have excellent ergonomics, triggers aren�t horrible, they work flawlessly, and shoot straight; what more do you want?

Nothing worse than being a beta tester for a firearm especially one used for self defense.

I just looked again at the SR9 and SR10 and they do look to be a good carry weapons for CCW. If I was going CCW I would consider one of them.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
one has to ask how is the gun better than a glock??

ergonomics
looks
trigger
price
made in usa

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have never been impressed with Ruger SR Pistols . Maybe one day if i can make myself purchase one. M&P, XD or Glock for me.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
When I worked at Sportsmans about 4.5 years ago, I remember handling the SR9... Was NOT impressed. I remember after releasing the slide, or dropping the hammer on a empty chamber there was a sound of a spring basically sounded like a "doing" lasting for a second or two.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Have you ever dry fired a Glock?

NRA Life Member
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Yes. Don't recall hearing that

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Fo me, little is the Kahr CW9 and big is the 45 ACP Commander. I do think that Ruger's 345 is about as fine a piece there is and, it too, gets little respect. If "limited", the 345 would be in my holster.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Some weird springy boingy noise? That is what my Glocks sound like.

NRA Life Member
B
bhemry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Just got home from work (after 2 days). Thanks for the input. Sounds like some good information.

In the past I handled several different potential candidates and found most had pretty bulky grips, at least compared to my Kahr (which fits me perfectly). The S&W M&P with the small grip insert felt pretty good, as did the Ruger SR. I wasn't real happy with the angle of the Glocks.

After purchasing my 1st 1911 a year or two ago, then handling the Ruger again, I was amazed at how similar they feel.

B
bhemry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I can't explain why I have never been able to get excited over Ruger's centerfire autoloading pistols. Maybe the lines aren't right to my eye, or maybe it is something else. I'm not sure. My brother once owned one of the P97's and it shot well, but I couldn't develop an affinity for it.

While I could pick up one of the P series locally for $299 (in stainless), and it is probably a great value, I don't care for their lines, feel, or all the levers. The SR series... I could like. Maybe a lot. Wish the local shooting range had one to rent.

Last edited by bhemry; 11/01/12. Reason: added "stainless"
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
When I decided I wanted to get a 9mm, I went to a gun store and handled as many brands and models as they had. The SR9 fit my hand very well, and the price point was reasonable for a first-time buyer. I've got no complaints with it. I'm not an expert, and obviously haven't owned any other 9mm, but like most Ruger products, it seems to be well made and a good value.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
i think the sr series or CF auto's is the best ruger has made yet to me muchhhhhhhh better than the old p-85,89 and such

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I took a look at the SR9 when it first came out. Probably would have bought one if not for that awful trigger. IIRC - that was what the recall was about, and I've heard that since then the trigger is much improved. But I'm not in a gun-buying mode right now - and if I was, there are a few other handguns that are higher on my "want list" than any plastic gun.

As for others - I think the initially bad trigger left a sour taste that it will take the market some time to recover from.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I think anyone that criticizes a gun they havn't fired doesn't give you much information. I love mine. Ergonomics are amazing, have put several 100 rounds through it not a single bobble. Shoots where I point it. There are an awful lot of good guns out there, but I'll be keeping this. For the price it is very tough to beat.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1moredeer, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,714
Posts18,494,515
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.