Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Matt21 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Great time and what started as a frustrating windy and rainey trip ended in success... Myself and my cousin both killed elk and our good friend got a shot at one but missed. I hadn't gotten to go in 3 years because powerline work across the country has kept me very busy. My first post by the way, great website looks like I found another place to spend some money at...

My cousin:

[Linked Image]

goofy uncle with my cousins' elk:

[Linked Image]

500yd shot:

[Linked Image]

My elk (not the biggest but any elk is a trophy IMO):

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The elk that our friend killed last year that really got the fire back in me to take some time off and go hunting:

[img]http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn151/Ikerson21/164618_1507262482109_4893694_n.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Matt21; 10/30/12.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats. Nice elk.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome to the fire! You did better than we did this year on private land in the Northside unit. Congrats!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Awesome, you guys did great!!!! I finally drew a cow tag, so I'll be meat hunting this year.....Welcome to the fire and hey next time tell us what rifle/cartridge you used grin: We need to be informed about what does and doesn't bounce off of these big animals....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Welcome to a great site! You and your family did well.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great job on the elk.

Wish I could get that much help for my hunt next month. Wish I could get any help! frown

Enjoy the steaks. And welcome aboard.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Great hunt, very nice bulls. I killed my first elk in Oregon, leaving for Pendleton in the morning. Again great job, beautiful bulls.

M
Matt21 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Cousins bull was killed with a Rem700 chambered in 300WinMag using factory rounds Winchester 180gr. Ballistic Tips.

I killed mine with a Weatherby MKV ultralight in 300 Weatherby Mag... handloaded with 180gr. Barnes TSX bullet... Gets the job done for sure smile

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Very nice

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Matt21

My elk (not the biggest but any elk is a trophy IMO)

100% spot on! Only people who have never killed an elk would disagree.

Congrats all around on some fine critters!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Waders

+1. I totally agree Wade.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Waders

I'll "Roger That" !!

Great job guys !!

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Nice bulls! good eating at your house this year.!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What else can we say?

Welcome and Congrats!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
This is great! I really like the happiness that comes through in your words and photos. Hunting with good friends and family is a mighty fine thing. A couple of elk down makes it even better.

Guy

M
Matt21 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I'm definitely doing this ass backwards but I wasn't sure at first how folks took to people posting a long story of a hunt on here... I can't edit my first post so I'll just put the story of my entire hunt here... Give's a little more insight into the struggles I overcame to finally take an elk...

I'll start off by saying I work on the road between 240-280 days a year keeping the transmission powerlines in good repair across the country. I haven't bee able to come home for 3 years during elk season. I got the chance this year and what a great experience. I've been missing out since my uncle, cousin and good friend have been doing very while I've been away taking what I consider some very good size roosevelts.

The hunt was at first very frustrating for me as my cousin and good friend were working an area that I couldn't get to easily for day hunts and be able to come home and tend to the house at night. I was on my own but luckily found some private ground I was allowed on that was known to harbor a herd of 40+ elk with 6 bulls in it... The first day was a mess, pushing through thick second growth timber, in pouring rain and lots of wind, seeing lots of fresh sign but no elk... I was soaked and frustrated. Came back to the same property second morning and was repeating my steps until I got on top a of powerline right of way (about 2 miles of brush to reach) I started glassing some clearcuts from this open ground and then I finally spotted the heard pop out from some brush into a clear cut. 3 large antlered bulls and 3 spikes... They were unfortunately about 950 yards away and moving farther away as I watched... Nothing I could do in this big terrain and there was no way I could take a shot like that with my shooting capability. There wasn't time to move in on them so I called it a day and hoped to return the next morning.

When I got back to the truck that evening I had a message on the phone saying my cousin had killed a 6x6 at 500 yards which thrilled me but also made me want to push even harder to get one myself... A bomb was dropped when I called the land owner I had been hunting and said his family would be hunting it the rest of the week. I respected what he said and was greatful he gave me the oppurtunity there but all that hard work was for not.

That night my cousin called and said he heard that some of the larger timber land owners had finally opened areas to hunt since the fire danger was lowered. I hunted the 3rd day on my own here and was unsuccessful in finding fresh sign though I did see 6 legal bucks to take, which was a plus for when deer season kicked back on after elk season. My cousin called that night and said our good friend had taken a shot at a big bull that evening and missed. We re-grouped and planned to hunt as a group the next morning.

FINALLY I WAS GETTING CLOSE... My cousin and friend had a general idea of where the elk were, we split up ( cousin took friend and I was with my uncle) and decided each glass clear cuts so we could cover some big clear cuts nearing a 2mile radius... Light just started to hit the land on my big Swaro binos and what I at first thought were old whitened stumps began moving about 1,000 yards out. The game had begun, we ran back to the truck and hauled over where the elk were, hoping to jump out and surprise them. No avail, by that time they had worked into the timber. The timber they moved into was a pie shape and they were tightened into it near the point, we drove around to the other side of the pie on a clear cut and at first saw nothing. I was glassing land away from the timber/clear cut away from where we saw the elk, my uncle was on the phone telling cousin/friend to come over so we could push through the second growth and hopefully kill one. As it happens I turn around and look uphill only to see the heard of elk starting into the clear cut ( couldn't believe what I was seeing as they were about 100 yards away)

My uncle dropped his phone and I dropped the hammer on a bull, bull didn't even flinch ( keep in mind a rarely get to shoot anymore), I believe missed the first shot, second shot I THOUGHT I hit paydirt... I saw the elk buckle and then take off, ... We got up there and couldn't find anything at all, I thought I had missed my chance and didn't know how I could miss at such a close range. We searched for 30 mins and nothing, so we pushed through the timber, I saw 2 cows, no one else saw an elk. My uncle was insistent on continuing looking for blood so we went back up and sure enought... 1 drop, then 2 then ferns brushed with blood in the timber... followed the blood for 1/4mile in the timber then it just stopped. We decided to split up and I'd try to follow where it went. About 1 hour in and I was following skid road I caught movement down to my left and see a bull try to stand up at about 40ft. I took the elk I had hit earlier and was ecstatic.

The biggest thing I took from this is that if you shoot, never stop looking, look and look some more, especially with an animal this size... My first shot hit just below the back with my 300 weatherby and didn't hardly bleed considering damage we found under the hide from the first shot (though it was a clean pass through, not hitting any bone, 1/2 in any direction would have drilled spine or rib cage bones). The 2 elk I've killed before this didn't move 5ft from when hit so this was new for me.

Hope I didn't ramble on but this season was just such a blessing I wanted to share my experience.

Last edited by Matt21; 11/01/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations on the bulls.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome and great post. Congrats!

Eric

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some serious weight on those westside elk. Sorry I was not available to help with the packing. Good going there.

1Minute

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1234, 007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 17CalFan, 12savage, 60 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,685
Posts18,475,071
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.