Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Either or, depending on how I wiggle at the time.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
GB1

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
She ran 'cause the muzzle tape wasn't blue. grin

John

wink

That, and the NBT wayyyy overpenetrated, thus wasting energy that could have been totally expended inside the animal. (grin)

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by T_O_M
When I'm confident of the shot, I prefer head shots. Then heart/lungs.

The philosophy behind my approach is, for whatever circumstances, to shoot the most vital thing I'm confident I can hit while staying away from as much edible meat as possible.

Tom
SOmething I want to mount or want the cape on, lung all the way. Though if there were no other options I"ll take what angle I can get assuming I have enough gun. Beyond that its head shots all the way. The only variance to that is hunting with somewhat primitive guns, like small lever actions, muskets and the like... then its back to lungs.

The actual shoulder blade bone itself covers some no mans land in that if you hit that bone you could actually hit a non vital area on a deer. As such and due to waste of meat, I just find the crease, hold about 1-2 inches back of that typically, and come up from the bottom and once I"m out of white hair and just into the brown a bit, bang.

Trailing, even in swamps or thickets etc... has never bothered me much. Guess its because I kinda started out as bowhunter for about 20 years before drifting back to guns... and you really don't have much of an option wiht bow, you learn to trail or you don't find deer often. I still find it amazing that some demand a bang flop in the woods since others are out hunting, I often wonder how the bowhunters hunt in that same area.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JPro
We talk about shoulders versus lungs, but I suppose we never really know what might happen, regardless of where you stick it. I took the girls out yesterday evening after school and Kate shot another big doe with her 7mm-08. She was quartering toward us a bit, giving us the staredown, when I told Kate to shoot or we were about to be busted. She whispered that she was going for the middle of the shoulder and then fired.

They found blood easily enough, as that doe had been homing in on the rice bran we'd poured out.

[Linked Image]

Blood was there, but quickly turned to just a drop every few yards. I was thinking that her 140gr light load may not have exited. After two hours of hands and knees trailing in the thickets, I found her about 80 yards out. The hit was right through the middle of the shoulder, but missing bone, and exiting in the back of the offside ribs, with the guts practically sealing off the hole. That explained our lack of a good blood trail, even though the shot was dead on and went through a lot of vitals. I explained to her that you really never know what is going to happen after the shot, as they might fall, they might run, they may bleed or they may not; you just get it through the vitals as best you can.

[Linked Image]

I think we've all seen lung only shot deer fall over at the shot. No bones touched, save for maybe 1-2 ribs at times.

I've also watched deer with front shoulders busted, run off, not well, but able to move on out. I"ve seen one with both front legs clipped low from a client, take off like a bulldozer.

And frankly, IMHO shooting shoulders thinking they will always fall is a fallacy. Its CNS or nothing that will guarantee drt.

Good job on the doe, nice looking doe, great looking kids, thanks for getting em out there!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by southtexas
JP: good story...cute kids! congrats!

Probably get their looks from the other side of the house... blush

DF

IC B2

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's what I claim, at least around their momma....

The youngest was really disappointed that she didn't find the deer. Since she's not old enough to shoot yet, the tracking is about the only way she feels she can contribute. It has to be their favorite part of the hunt.

Now with even more aplomb
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Love it JPro. Nice work my man! If i may pull one line from your last post......

" I explained to her that you really never know what is going to happen after the shot, as they might fall, they might run, they may bleed or they may not; you just get it through the vitals as best you can."

Bingo.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495

And frankly, IMHO shooting shoulders thinking they will always fall is a fallacy. Its CNS or nothing that will guarantee drt.

True!

They push off with those hind legs....maybe not far but sometimes, they do "go"!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Lungs if headed towards the truck.
Shoulder if headed away from the truck.

Just kidding, but it does depend on if I need a DRT or not.

"SUPPORT OUR RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS"

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by stanimal
Generally - lungs. If I need to anchor one for a specific reason (too close to a neighbor that won't allow recovery, etc.) then shoulders become an option. My "favorite" is quartering away to allow vitals and then the off side shoulder. Best of both worlds for me but obviously it's not always possible.

+1

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
90% of the time I shoot for the lungs. If its in a place I don't want them to run Ill shoot the shoulder. I like the meat and I have seen shoulder shots that will leave bloodshot 2 feet from the hole. I try to avoid that. Both have their place.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've always shot on the point of the shoulder. That's how I was taught, and I can't seem to aim anywhere else....

1st Bn 5th Marines Wpns Co. 03-07
Semper Fidelis
I'll never forget my first doe. I was using my grandpa's old marlin 30-30, fairly unpracticed but confident with it. We were working the brush and a doe popped up in front of me... It just stood there looking at me, and of course my heart was racing because it was my first deer. I shouldered the lever action and pulled the trigger... I aimed for the heart, but shouldered her... She hobbled about 3 steps, then turned back to me as if pleading for me to finish the job. I shouldered her again... and she finally died. I got the job done, but seems like I could have accomplished it much more quickly...

Shot my buck this year in the spike at the neck... dropped instantly and died very shortly after. It was a little close to the backstrap, but very effective, especially since I was fairly close to property line.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (260madman, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 204guy, 2500HD, 59 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,500
Posts18,509,196
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.