Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#6993473 10/22/12
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know its not a Colt or anything but what is your opinion on the PT1911?? Good? Reliable?

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I picked one up for a nice price, ammo and Crossbreed holster included. Mind you it's only a sample of one but there's really nothing at this point for me to say bad about it that's negative. It's been reliable and accurate to this point.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Taurus is perhaps the ONLY maker of 1911�s that actually makes the entire pistol. (not that that means anything, just a piece of worthless trivia � I�m full of worthless trivia�In fact, I know everything there is to know about anything that will never make me money )

The frames and slides are easily the equal of any other makers. A friend of mine toured the Taurus facility in 2009 and he saw a large bin of forged receivers that were being sent to IMBEL that were going to become Springfield Armory frames (that�s rather third hand information, but it makes sense to me; it�s not like 1911 forges are growing on trees).

I�ve heard all kinds of chatter on the internet about how inferior Taurus products are. Most are from people that either have owned a grand total of one, or none at all. Myself, I�ve owned at least 15 Taurus handguns in the past 25 years and I�ve NEVER been disappointed. The most accurate revolver I�ve EVER fired was a Taurus Raging Bull in .480 that would shoot sub-MOA all day long at 100 yards. I would have bought that revolver on the spot if it was something smaller than .480 Ruger�I don�t have much call for anything that big in Arkansas. I guess if one of these tractors I�m surrounded by ever goes wild and charges me, I�ll regret not buying it.

Every PT1911 I�ve seen has been very feature rich; your money goes a long way with Taurus. Everyone I�ve shot, shoots straight and functions flawlessly. I have personally never encountered one that didn�t work. I�ve seen that the Blued ones have some very minor cosmetic flaws (No more than the S&W though), and the Stainless ones that I�ve seen were a little nicer in the finish department. I�ve done some slight modification to a grand to total of ONE, which was a different safety, hammer, and sear. All the parts dropped in quite easily�Actually, at the time I did that work, I was building a pistol from the ground up using a Caspian frame, and the Caspian gave me fits in fitting the safety; it had one cut that was a bit under-sized. The Taurus was exactly right.

So I wouldn�t hesitate to buy one.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Kevin....as always you offer excellent insight and information and I thank you for it.....and I love useless information btw

This is on a trade deal and I am going to do it...Ive been looking for a 1911 I can shoot, I have a Colt M1911 WWI but have recently retired it from shooting

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The ones I've been exposed to are good, not great & contrary to what some may say, not all aftermarket 1911 parts will be drop in.........I've have a bit of work on some to get parts (Wilson, Brown) to fit.

YMMV

MM

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
The ones I've been exposed to are good, not great & contrary to what some may say, not all aftermarket 1911 parts will be drop in.........I've have a bit of work on some to get parts (Wilson, Brown) to fit.

YMMV

MM

As should be�Brown and Wilson parts are all over-sized to ensure that they will fit right on all guns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not OS in the areas that didn't fit; but, yes, on some parts, the fit-able areas are OS on Wilson & Brown. Not the case in guns I am referring to.

MM

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Here is mine before:

[Linked Image]

and after:

[Linked Image]

I've run about 1,000 rounds through it bobble free. No complaints. It's the aluminum frame version that I changed grips, safety, and had Mahovsky's hard chrome plating applied to.

Last edited by bhemry; 10/22/12. Reason: spelling
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Boococky
I know its not a Colt or anything but what is your opinion on the PT1911?? Good? Reliable?
Mine have been reliable and have ate everything I've fed them. This includes some SWC's that wouldn't feed through my Springfield Loaded Target model reliably. When they first came out several years back, they were at a much better price point. Everything has went up however. I don't think there's much difference in the price between the Taurus and a new Ruger. Ruger isn't as proven yet though.

If I was in your shoes, everything would hinge on the money, since you're into a trade.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

[Linked Image]

You need some pimpalicious ivory grips on that one!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RufusG

[Linked Image]

Well Rufus, that was the "before" pic. Here's the after...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's the after...

[Linked Image]

Those are the ones! Better get that light chromed though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RufusG

[Linked Image]

Well Rufus, that was the "before" pic. Here's the after...

[Linked Image]
That's a straight up Oak-Town Starter Kit... I like it:)

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
my PT1911AL has really been flawless...I thought I was having an intermittent issue and it turned out my thumb was making contact with the ambi-safety (I'm a Southpaw)...once I realized this...100%

Full disclosure...I changed the recoil spring to a 16lb (same as Factory) ISMI and felt it was needed...but... wink

[Linked Image]

Bill

NRA Life Benefactor
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Although I'm left-handed as well, but a right-handed shooter, this was my 1st 1911, and at first I was having the same issues. I would position my thumb just under the thumb safety and would occasionally bump it up while shooting.

After watching a video on shooting 1911's, I learned the preferred way (at least with the majority of people) to shoot is with the thumb above the safety. It seemed a little high and unnatural to me (maybe from shooting revolvers for years), and I didn't care about having the ambi-safety, so I swapped mine out for a single-sided, lowered safety. Problem solved.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't looked at a lot of 'em - but a large percentage of the ones I have didn't appear to be fitted well. I don't like the way they mount those sights, and it seems they have a problem getting the slide rails and frame rails to match up well at the rear of the gun.

Probably all curable and purely cosmetic, and reports seem to indicate a very reliable build. The aluminum FS 1911 seems an attractive option.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I took a couple more "after" pictures of my 1911AL yesterday and needed a chance to post them so..
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

When I bought it 2 years? ago, I paid a little more to order it locally ($525 vs $475-500), looks like they went up $100+ before they were discontinued (the aluminum frame).

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have owned a couple of PT1911 I am not an expert but both mine shot well. Better than I for sure
I had a friend that wanted one and not sure why I sold the second
I think the best models Taurus makes are the 1911s the 92s and the Revolvers in other words the "clones"
When some one tells you how crappy they are ask them which model THEY had, usually thier uncles friends grandmothers hairdresser had one that....

They have one flaw lack of resale value
great if you are buying a used one bad if you bought a new one and decided to move in a different direction
I have quite a few 1911s but I am always looking for a used one at a good deal I really liked mine
But if you are going to buy it and shoot it
Rock on get one and have fun
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boatboy

They have one flaw lack of resale value...

Why do you suppose that is?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (1Longbow, 1234, 257man, 06hunter59, 160user, 219DW, 47 invisible), 1,777 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,135
Posts18,523,210
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.