-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brian Sipe (founder and CEO of MRC) had been a friend of mine for years (when I lived in western Montana) before I heard of his barrels. Then he got Ruger (IIRC) to make modern Mauser actions for his company.

When I started planning a special custom rifle, starting with Brian's action seemed to be a good idea. It was, and it wasn't.

� It was, because Brian's action seems to be as good as I'd thought that it'd be.

� It wasn't, because I couldn't get one direct from Brian (as promised) and never knew why.

With some difficulty, I got a couple of MRC actions through other sources, and the one that I had my .340 Howell built on is a super-nice action.

I'd assume � not having seen any � that his rifles are likely to be good ones.

I'd hope that doing business with MRC is better or getting better.

I know nothing of the current prices for MRC actions, barrels, or rifles.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had MRC build 2 rifles. Both of which were well made and accurate. Both did take longer than expected to deliver. I like the actions, they were well finished (above the stock line), very smooth, and feed great. Very nice (but heavy) bottom metal. The barrels were a heavier contour that I would have liked but both shot well.

I've heard some horror stories about working with them, but aside from the time line extensions I had a good experience.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is my second one.

[Linked Image]

300WSM, Pac-Nor barrel, McMillan stock. Sadly I left it in Cody, Wyoming to be sold. I'm semi retired from hunting.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The stories of problems with MRC are about the most I've seen concerning any product here at the Fire.

Buyer beware!!

Steve

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
What you have to remember here, these people are dealing direct with the company, unlike the big names like Rem. Win. Ruger, Tikka, etc where your problems are brought back to the store where you bought it.
I'm sure if every one would post the problems they had with their store bought guns you'd see similar or even more problems with the big box gun makers.

"The older I get, the better I was"
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
There have been some quality control issues with the actions and barrels but I have seen quality control issues from virtually every manufacturer out there. They had some real difficulties with the receivers warping during heat treating and this was the source of many of the problems. One doesn't expect to have to start off working on his new action by straightening it with a lead hammer by I have had to do so with a couple of them.
In general, I like the action design except for a couple of features. I don't really like the bolt sleeve lock. It is just a little too petit and sensitive to alignment. If one wishes to see a good bolt sleeve lock he should look at a 98 Mauser. Any divergence from that design is a step backward.
The bolt stop could have been made a little more robust.
I like the inner seat for the barrel (c-ring) but I think it would have been much better to duplicate the Mauser system rather than to incorporate the inferior Springfield/Winchester coned breech.
Still, it is a rugged, functional action.
The polishing and contouring of the receiver is usually poorly done and I suspect this is simply because they don't know any better.
The barrels are well finished inside and properly stress relieved. I've fitted a couple dozen and all shot well but I have yet to see a straight one! They have a barrel straightening press but whoever was doing the straightening just doesn't have an eye for it. I once looked through some blanks which had been drilled and reamed but not rifled and which were visibly crooked. I inadvertently insulted them when I asked if the blanks were to be straightened before rifling and was told they already had been!
If you like the old Model 70 trigger system, you have to like this one since it is identical in design and function. In fact, I have fitted MRC triggers to post-64 Model 70 actions and the result was a better trigger.
From the beginning, I referred to the 1999 action as an "action kit" and I think this is a fairly accurate description. They need some work but offer the 'smith an opportunity to put his or her stamp on the finished product.
My dealings with the company have been more than satisfactory. They always treated me with respect and listened to what I had to say. They would have been better off to have taken my advice at times but I could say the same thing about my wife!
Quite often, I think companies like MRC try too hard to be all things to all people and have trouble finding their direction. I think they are doing better in this regard today than they were ten years ago. GD

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Manufacturing is alive and well in Kalispell, MT and Montana Rifle Company is a very big part of the area's success. As others have mentioned, the initial offerings were ambitious in both scope and promises. The owner has invested in new CNC equipment, skilled personnel and management. In addition, a rigid quality control process is in place. I would not hesitate to purchase an action or a complete rifle from MRC.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Opinions of Montana Rifle Company

I bought one of their M-1999 actions a few years back....it's now a .404 Jeffery.....it functions just fine.....no complaints here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Some years ago a ordered a barreled action from MRC, then had Serengeti stock it with from a blank I supplied. The Serengeti folks were a joy to deal with, the MRC group was another story. The rifle, a 257R just refused to shoot any combo accurately. I switched scopes, re-crowned it, had the beading examined etc. Nothing helped. I finally contacted MRC and ran it down to them, but they wouldn't do anything for me. I had the rifle re-barreled and it shoots fine now, but only after putting another $700 or so into it. It a beautiful rifle and I'll have it for a long time. In fairness to MRC they never offered any short of accuracy guaranty, so I should not have assumed otherwise. I understand they have changed for the better lately and I hope that is true because it do like their action a lot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They seem nice and stories go up and down but at those prices, I wonder what they'd offer over a Kimber.

Me

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MRC seems to have a consistent thread.

Either there are significant performance issues, or consistent integrity issues.

In my case, they had both.

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When dealing directly with MRC fell through, I got an MRC action from another source. But it had a magnum bolt face, and I wanted one with an '06 bolt face.

Serengeti graciously offered a one-for-one swap � no boot! So I drove up there and traded with 'em. Very nice crowd, very professional operation.

Have ne'er a mumblin' negative word for Serengeti!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ken,

I bought two rifles from Serengeti, and found them to be both experts in the rifle business, and also of the highest integrity.

Was very sorry to see them go out of business. I got to become pretty good friends with the two owners, and I'm still in contact with them. But even with them, they and I both had problems with MRC.

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry to hear that they're no longer in business. Didn't know that.

Cryin' shame!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
They are still around, just under yet another name. Looks like a pretty good product if you have the $$$$$$$
http://kilimanjarorifles.com/history.html

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The guys who owned Serengeti sold the business to Kilimanjoro Rifles. The new owner lives in Hawaii.

I've talked to the two former owners in the last year, both great guys, and they are doing well.

Steve

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The whole story between MRC and Serengeti will never be told, however, like all of these situations, there is also the third side. The same can be said about Defiance (at the time was Phoenix actions) and Serngeti - there is one common denominator in this. The good news - MRC has been completely overhauled to address the market. I suggest anyone with questions call Jeff Sipe directly at MRC. As to comparing to other choices, it is just too subjective of a decision (IMO).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Mule Deer described my rifle too except it's in 350 Rem Mag: A Kilimanjaro Walk-about. I presume Kili- did some refining of the action and I obviously didn't deal with MRC directly so can't offer an anecdote there, but the finished product is very nice if a tad heavier than I'd like. But then it's not my back packing rifle either.

[Linked Image]

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
nice rifle and rings,bases and mounts, could tell me more about those?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From the Kilimanjaro Rifles home page:

"The M1999 action incorporated and blended the best attributes of the Mauser 98, Winchester pre-64, and Sako actions for the ultimate hunting action. It did so using investment casting rather than more costly machining in order to achieve a superior action at an affordable cost."

I personally am not a fan of investment cast rifle actions, so even though left-handed, I stick with the USRA Model 70s for my recent purchases.

As I grow older and look at retained values, since hopefully my guns will go to the next generation, I realize that ones from certain makers keep value best.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,447 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,170
Posts18,484,590
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.