Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I bought a set made by Pachmayr but the tips are extremely brittle and break when I try them on some of the older guns I have.These are solid shanks they don't have interchangeable tips.

What do you use and recommend?Thanks.

Glenn

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I like Brownells. I have about a million different tips and some of the non interchangeable tipped jobs that I've ground down to match certain screws.

Pachmayr is [bleep].

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I like Brownells. I have about a million different tips and some of the non interchangeable tipped jobs that I've ground down to match certain screws.

Pachmayr is [bleep].

Yep, spend the money for the
Brownells Magna-tip set. Chapmans are OK, but they are brittle as well.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 11/03/12. Reason: spellin'
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Brownells is best. Great quality and an unbelievable selection of bits. Pricey, but worth every cent.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have been using Grace screwdrivers for years. Good stuff.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by EdM
I have been using Grace screwdrivers for years. Good stuff.

Those sure look like the real deal. But I would think that set leaves you needing a lot of other tips for scopes mounting, etc. What do you do about that?

Al

Spend your life wisely.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I used to work with a guy who's B.I.L. owned Grace. He worked part time for him. He got me a set of those Grace screwdrivers. I really wasn't impressed. All they are, are reground common screwdrivers. I have them scattered about in my reloading room, and some in my range box. Most of my Bonanza screwdrivers, are in my range box, as well.

But when it comes to serious work on guns... I reach for my Brownells screwdrivers. I prefer the non-magnetic ones without the interchanbable tips... Although, I have the standard set of interchangable tips, as well.

When it comes to tools... The best may well be the most expensive, But I've never known anyone who regretted buying the best. And I know a lot of guys who bought the cheaper sets that regretted buying them... YMMV

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
Originally Posted by EdM
I have been using Grace screwdrivers for years. Good stuff. Many being cut for specific firearms which is nice. Great ergonomics too.

Those sure look like the real deal. But I would think that set leaves you needing a lot of other tips for scopes mounting, etc. What do you do about that?

I use Bondhus allen and torx wrenches, both the T handled and folding ones. Quality stuff as well.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I bought a Chapman set many years ago. Replacement bits are hard
to come by. Today I would buy from Brownell.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Each type has it advantages, and it comes down to quality and personal preferences. I use my Brownell's set a lot, but I've never felt completely comfortable with the separate bit held in the shank. Doesn't have a solid feel. Sometimes the magnetic version is handy, sometimes it's a PITA. I much prefer the feel of the Grace screwdrivers with their wood handles, no slick plastic to slip in your hand. I also inhertited a Midway set, and have had too many bits break. They don't seem to be the quality of Btownell's.

Now my real challenge is grinding the tips. I have never gotten good at it. How the heck do you keep the sides parallel, and have it come out even at the desired thickness? Mine usually come out uneven.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by timbo762
Brownells is best. Great quality and an unbelievable selection of bits. Pricey, but worth every cent.

Love the set. I had to wait about a month because they were back-ordered, but it was definitely worth it.

<�))))>< (_(_(_) ><((((�>

Romans 12:2
"Don't be conformed to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds so that you can figure out what God's will is & what is good and pleasing and mature."(CEB)
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have no use for separate bit heads, let alone magnetic. My Grace's have lasted for years when put in the right hole.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Consider treating yourself to a Brownell's set. They're bit drivers, maybe not boutique but really nice quality and with many sizes to fit about any head well. Conversely, bit quality from Wheeler, Pachmayer, B-square - varied from poor to piss poor for me and proved not worth the hassles.

Would like the feel of rigid drivers, but just not practical space-wise or cost-wise.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Thanks for all the replies.I still use the Snap-on and Mac screwdrivers that I got years ago(auto mechanic).
The Pachmayrs were a big disappointment .
I dislike insert bits and took a hard look at both the Grace and Brownells.I will be getting solid shanks.

I notice that Brownells sells the Grace brand so I doubt that I can go wrong with either.
Good discussion guys.

Glenn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Brownells can be added to,any good supply house sells the bits. And they can shaped as needed.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I mount a lot of scopes, and I get VERY frustrated when tightening the scope rings and I pull the driver off and the bit sticks to the screws and then drops on the floor. (Always in the MOST dark and inaccessable place...)

I'm sure magnetic bits have their place, but they have disadvantages, as well... That's why I prefer the solid shank drivers... YMMV

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Another user of the Brownells Magna-tip set.

Ken

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For standard shank and tip screwdrivers, the hollow ground Forstner's have served me well.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
One can never have enough screw drivers on hand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,465
Posts18,489,854
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.