Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
After waiting for a couple years I drew a pronghorn license for the unit around my families ranch. The area is known for some larger pronghorn, and my dad and I always see some nice ones while we are deer hunting, so we put a lot of effort into looking at lots of different bucks while hunting. I have no idea how to judge for the record book but we were just looking for a nice buck, something larger than what we had been getting in NE Wyoming. The first weekend I put a stalk on a tall but very straight one. We were 300 yards away and only to have him disappear suddenly. I am still not really sure how that happened as the wind was in out favor and we were in a draw, but I don't think he was as great as we thought he was. The second weekend we put a stalk on a good buck only to get busted when we were trying to circle downwind. After they spooked and ran off a bit we tried to circle around them before they joined a group of fifty other pronghorn. They went some other direction, however, and I think we bumped them at the end of legal light when we were hiking back to the truck. Later that weekend we had numerous bucks well within 25-35 range, let alone a scoped 308, but none were larger than the average buck we had already passed up.

Heading into the third weekend our standards had lowered a little bit. We just weren't seeing the quality of bucks that we usually see, and a fresh snow was going to make travel in the Badlands a little difficult. Friday afternoon we headed to the area where we saw the bigger buck the weekend before and all we found where tracks headed towards areas with little or no snow. There was no lolly gaggling as it had snowed just the night before. The next day we headed closer to the snowline and started seeing antelope. I think my dad and I both wanted to fill this tag, get some meat and get in a couple days of deer hunting, so while I was going to try and get something larger than a dink I also wasn't going to be super picky. The day certainly didn't go as planned as we got the truck stuck in a rut for a bit and we had two blown stalks due to bad timing (a barking dog in the back of a ranch truck and a herd of does feeding over a ridge).

Hiking back to the truck my dad started talking about maybe just shooting a doe. I really like pronghorn and I didn't want to shoot a small buck, so I was definitely considering it. When we hit the snowline we found a couple more groups, and a look through the spotting scope showed a mature buck in a group about a mile or two away. We had a really fun stalk into 175 yards and I shot him.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There was no ground shrinkage on this guy. He is easily my largest pronghorn to date, and his location and taking him with my dad makes him a special buck to me. I can't wait till my dad draws the tag in a couple years so we can do this again.

Nels
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice goat!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Very nice! Congratulations!

Public landowner...
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Good for you and your dad. Beautiful buck!

Golden............
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Great buck and story. Congratulations.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Congrats to you - that is a fine looking buck!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Very nice!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Fine looking buck taken on a fun hunt with family. That's GREAT!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice job. I love antelope hunting - lots of fun trying to match wits with them.

Tom

Regards,

Tom
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That is a beautiful goat. Congrats on punching your tag well.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stand up and take a bow. Nice one!

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Good job!! Wish I was able to get one!!!

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh yeah! That's a beauty!

Well done!

What kind of mount are you going to do?

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats on a fine Pronghorn!

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thanks for all of the compliments!

Originally Posted by Waders

What kind of mount are you going to do?

I think we are just going to do a skull or a european mount. I think they are pretty attractive and hunting elk in Montana during my last fall before graduate school is more important to me than a shoulder mount. I think I could make a nice base for it with a picture frame this winter break.

Nels
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is a pretty buck and a darling cape. Congrats !!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice buck! Congrats!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 72 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,458 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,682
Posts18,493,903
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.