-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just want to thank a group of hunters from Louisiana Short story on the 11 of october road in to elk camp horse got loose whent to catch it horse kicked me right below the knee broke my leg. we had cell service called 911 the boys from Louisiana walked in from trail head with search and rescue.helped my boy get the horses out to trailhead. Thank you vary mutch. and to all i hope i never get the chance to pass this kind of good deed on by this i hope no one ever finds themself in my boat if it happens and im there i will be your friend and i will help you out.By this i mean every one i meet. I would allso like to thank search and rescue they are vary good at what they do. sorry for spelling.

Last edited by Codave101; 11/04/12.

If you are not America first you are america last. Be loud and proud America first.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There's good folks from all over this country.

Without mentioning any names, a group of hunters from CO really helped me out this year. They loaned me their gambrel, which I had forgotten to bring along, and offered to help me bring out an elk if I had gotten one, as I was hunting alone. Also met another kind soul who was out mountain biking and helped me load a very large mule deer onto the back of my 1 ton truck, I'd been wondering how I was gonna get that thing on the back of my truck all the way down the mountain. Not to mention the fella I met who took pictures with his camera and emailed them to me because I didn't have my camera with me at the moment.

There's good folks/deeds everywhere, pay it forward.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
R
rdd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I am glad you had good people around to help you out in your time of need. There are many good people out there and it only takes a few bad ones to make many look bad. I too try to look for the good and will help my fellow man any way I can. I think that even though we have some on hear that enjoy the verbal spats they still would help another without thought.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are some very good people out there. Glad you encountered the. I treat people in the field as I wish to be treated. Good on ya all!

I would even help the biggest jerks on this forum should I encounter them in the field and they needed help.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
As we came into Burlington, Co the front of my trailer broke. We pulled into a motel to check it out and sure enough it was broke. There was a guy near by putting stuff in his truck and looked over at me so I asked him if he had a welder in his truck kind of joking about it. He said no but I have one up the road about 7 miles. To make a long story short we had a few beers around the fire pit behind the motel and plan to meet back up in the morning. Sure enough he came strolling up a little after daylight with the welder, torch and some steel. After it was repaired we asked him what we owed him and he said nothing. We paid him anyway and he was more than thankful.

People out west are all ways very friendly. We stayed at a motel in Gunnison for a few days and the owner would coach me everyday about where to go Elk hunting. We would talk for hours going over the maps.

If there was work in my field of experiance, I believe I would have to move there.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I run into out of state hunters while out hunting I will almost always yield the elk drainage, pheasant field, or duck pond to them.

I figure they pay a lot to come here to hunt and probably don't know their way around. It's tough hunting an unfamiliar place. I almost always have a contingency available.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I took two friends from out of state elk hunting this year. The 2 times we saw bulls, I told them shoot first. For a split second they both looked at me funny but afterwards I said hey, I didn't pay thousands of dollars, or travel thousands of miles. I'm just as happy to see someone get their first elk with my help then shooting one myself. I didn't get mine this year, but I don't ever pass up the chance to add some credit to the old karma account.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Most of the real ass holes live in the Big Cities and very few people you meet in the outdoors are not a joy to be around. Never pass a man by that really need help. Good for you guys who help people who have save for years to realize their dreams of hunting out west and taking a Elk.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my experience, there is a disproportionately larger number of good folks in the hunting & outdoor ranks....I think the activity causes folks to band together, camaraderie of sorts

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Codave101, sorry about your leg and the whole mess, but glad to hear about complete strangers helping you out.

That gave me a warm fuzzy feeling as I've always wondered if the norm was to get shunned as an outsider intruding into one's hunting area or getting a warm welcome. I really appreciate that.

Glad to know as I will be up in Colorado next year and would do the same for anyone else that needed my assistance.

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very good story. I have met great folks out in the field, and they make up the majority. This year I actually teamed up with strangers and we had a small drive hunt for an hour, then split up again.
In 2006 I have, however, meet an older man after firing at a bull that he didn't see (I missed btw) who stormed some 300 yards towards me, cursed me out, told me that I was blind and stupid, that there was no legal bull anywhere to shoot, and crossed me with the barrel of his rifle that he swung around. At this time, shots rang out over the ridge 500 yards away. Then his buddy called in on a radio and yelled that he just shot the 6x6 that ran away from my shot. The man then cursed out his buddy over the radio, too, and stormed away from me as I wished him to have a good day.
My uplifted spirits got rather deflated after this, and I didn't see anything else the rest of the hunt.
But this was a rare case, fortunately. Hope nobody meets a-holes like that while hunting.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by addicted

That gave me a warm fuzzy feeling as I've always wondered if the norm was to get shunned as an outsider intruding into one's hunting area or getting a warm welcome. I really appreciate that.

I'd say that for every 10 local hunters that I've met in Colorado, 9 have been welcoming and helpful. There's one in every crowd.

A lot of it depends on how you come across, too. If you are polite and friendly towards folks when you meet them, that goes a long ways.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I live and hunt in the Colorado backcountry. We see a lot of out of state hunters and they almost always are very nice, very generous, and just easy to get along with. Every year I seem to run in to one group of lowlifes that are hostile And even threatening because I happen to have found an excellent spot on public land that they think they own. Invariably these are Colorado residents.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I also happened to leave Napa at the same time as another guy (obviously a hunter from being covered in camo lol) this season and he brought up some small talk, wishing he could find some elk. He was in the next unit over, but him and 2 others were in from MI hunting. I gave him all the relevant info I could as to what I had been observing, altitudes, movement hours, so on and so forth. That guy smiled in a way that couldn't be conveyed into words how grateful he was for the info.

Pay it forward, I always help another hunter any chance I can.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
For many years I have invited and hosted Nonresident hunters in my elk camp. Glad to have them and we have always had great hunts.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ditto there Saddle---I've helped them get elk. I had one guy in the camp next to me see me come in late with bloody hands. I told him where I got my cow. Just follow my footsteps thru the snow & be there before daybreak. He killed a raghorn bull there the following morning. He helped me get my cow out, then his bull. Bob

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
that sucks about your leg,our first trip this year we ran into a local while hunting, he gave me his cell number and told us to call him if we killed a elk he would help us pack it out, i thougt that was pretty cool, the police on the other hand wasnt very nice to us

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
As non resident hunters, we want to thank those of you that live there for your hospitality, gracious smiles, and for the invite around your campfire and great conversations! The thing we have found over the years is that the elk hunt is about the experience, the ride up the mountain, the view of a secluded alpine meadow, the camaraderie around camp. Getting an elk is just the frosting on the already great cake!

I ride mules, hunt every chance I can, and even take my husband with me!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
LMR, thank you for the kind words. I think most CO hunters are welcoming and understand the extra expense and challenge that non-resident hunters face when coming to CO to hunt elk. I really like to see out of staters in the woods and always share information with them if I have any that is useful, and would easily pass on a shot and let a non-resident shoot the only elk of the day. After all, the locals can get a tag for another season for not a whole lot of money and we are fortunate enough to be able to go to these aspen meadows a lot more frequently.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (160user, 1936M71, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 62 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,492
Posts18,509,064
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.