Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by byron
Bought an X2 before hunting season this year. Packed out my bull elk. 1st trip was rear quarter bone and hide cinched on the outside. Will not do that again! Would not support the weight. Once I boned out the rest of the loads, it worked great. Really like it alot!

I am planning to use my X2 next year. I've lightened up my camp load to easily fit, and I think the X2 will haul enough meat to suit me. I still want to load the X2 to ~90-100#s and see how it feels just to be sure. Good to hear it worked well for you.

GB1

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm liking the looks of the new V-90. The J107 with a spike camp is probably more versatile.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
On the subject of the spike duffle, I bought the super version but I don't know if it will ever make the trip. It's too heavy. I use an OR sil dry sack or trash compactor bag as a pack liner and with three compression straps on the pack there is no need to zip it on if it's carried externally.

It does make a nice duffle for non-backpacking trips though.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I've got a bad pack fetish! grin

I've owned 3 E Stocks and think they are well thought out packs. Now, I'll say I've never hunted out of one. I bought mine for the possible future hunt and mostly hiking/backpacking and emergency zombie kit.

Couple of things -
Resale- figure out what you want. Resale is around 50% of what you pay new. MR/Kifaru you can look at 60 to 80% depending on condition, particular model.

Hydration - horrible design on E Stock packs. Why Glen can't just design a sleeve on the pack and call it done is beyond me. A 3l bladder you can almost forget it. My half track and the X2 a 3l could fit in the outboard pockets. The GS2 no way.

Weight - heavy bags empty. No a big deal to me or most meat eaters, just something to consider if you want to save weight for a long distance hunt.

Maybe the biggest issue most have - made in Vietnam.

That said, I have owned the GS2, X2, and now a half track (hunting model)

I'd like to look at a Destroyer the new Jack Hammer and the Terminator some day.

Last edited by ppfd; 11/04/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the J34 also, this will be my first season hunting with it, so far in several hikes, 5-7 miles each seemed to do well. After the first hike with approx. 45 lbs of gear, I had to adjust and tweek the shoulder straps, but other than that, it was very comfortable. I am hunting 3rd and 4th seasons I will report back!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is a great assessment of the E bags ppfd...thanks for breaking it down to a basic noschitt level

Last edited by setch; 11/04/12.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I used my J34 on a CO elk hunt last month. It carried 60 lbs. in and out fairly comfortably. Although the pack could have carried more, I could not especially at 10,000+ feet in altitude. If I had been in better shape, it would have been an even better experience. Great pack and I really like the scabbard.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have a Tailhook, one of the Gunrunners, and the Warhammer. I have couple of the accesssory zip in bags, the duffles and a Mini-me.

The Tailhook has been used the hardest, and I will probably go back to it next year, used a Badlands Monster Fanny pack this year, but not happy with the design of it. You'll see it in the Classified soon.

My only serious complaint: Pack weight empty - the big packs all weigh several pounds above what I would consider needed. The padding is over-enginnered and is where most of the excess weight resides. The Tailhook had about 30 pounds in it, I wore it nine days and really thought it was a comfortable carry, but I didn't think it carried as much "stuff" as it should have for the weight loaded. For a big fanny pack, it doesn't carry that much "stuff". It doesn't have a space on the waist belt for a small holster, if you want to carry a small side arm, you have to use the molle straps on the outside of the waist pockets, they don't hold the holster vertical, unless the pocket is stuffed tight.

I'll be playing with the Warhammer this winter with about 50 pounds of sand weight in it to see what the carry issues are, if any. I haven't had a E-stock break yet, but have had the Badlands series tear straps out. FWIW, the Badlands crew were great and timely in repairing the issue, so can recommend their support of their products. Hope this helps.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have a couple of J105s, that have had the chest buckle strap come unsewn after a few years of elk and a few years of moose hunting.

Then everyone kept saying they are junk and that the Longhunter of Patrick SMith was teh bomb. So I bought one. I have had it on one elk and one moose trip and I"ll grab the J105 every last time.

I can't bring myself to sell the longhunter, as its supposed to be so good... but it just doesn't do it any better than the 105 and is heavier/bulkier to me.

I am 5/10 and about 180-190 depending... I don't carry more than about 80 -100 pounds in the 105 so that may make a difference. But I have trained with 120 in it. Its not fun at 120 to me, but then I didn't think the Longhunter was fun at 120 for me either....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't have vast pack experience, but I like my blue widow pack. It seems very comfortable on my back. It will carry more than I can. It's empty weight is maybe a bit heavier than some, so those complaints are valid I suppose. I have desires to replace some equipment for next year, but the pack is not on that list.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by snubbie
The J107 with a spike camp is probably more versatile.

I did a 15-day sheep hunt with a Just-One 5-years ago. The spike camp turtleshells to the pack which results in a pack that pulls backwards. It doesn't carry weight well. My pack was uncomfortable at loads weights above day hunting weights.

I just finished a 16-day sheep hunt with a MR 6500. What a great pack. I killed a mule deer near the end of the hunt and carried a 90+ pound pack back to my spike camp. The weight sucked but the pack was comfortable. I've tried the same with other mule deer with the Just-one but ending up doing two loads as the pack was too uncomfortable with the heavy load.

Personally, I'd spend the money upfront and get a great pack (MR or Kifaru) versus trying to justify a lesser pack.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 9 invisible), 1,285 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,224
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.