Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
303 and the 30 Govt which I have in the 95 are peas in a pod. I had mine out and shot it thurs. nite. Plan to use it for deer this year.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Couldn't help myself was at Gander picking up another post-Obama AR and this was on the "internet" shelf:
[img]http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...fire-Rifle&i=UF101821472&uf=true[/img]

Made in 1915, 303 Brit caliber. I'm going to send it to Turnbull for restoration. I had so much fun with my jap 405 and it shoots so well, might as well go for the real thing and I love the caliber. Never seen one in 303 before

Sweet!

Long sucker -- a long receiver and a 27.5 inch barrel. Bet it would "hang" nicely when shooting standing though.

John

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

to deerwacker and to jorge: you like 1895 and 71; pictures alreary shown but always good to remind. Note ve have an original 71, deluxe rifle to sell...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All these not to sell...And there're some more...

BR from frog's land

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Very nice Jorge,.will be expecting pics upon its return.

Would love to have one in 7.62x54R myself...

They say that was the most common chambering, but most (all?) were shipped overseas to the Tsar...

The only one I've ever seen was in a museum on Buda hill, a brilliant display of the rifles and pistols used by each combatant nation in WWI.

Sycamore

...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
uber-cool piece.....doesn't look like it really needs much except maybe a little steam work on that stock gouge, I'd be tempted to hunt it as is. what you going to have Turnbull do....full restore to new?

I'll see once I get it in my hands Steve, full restoration is pricey but it seems I'm liking the "retro" thing with rifles and hunting more are more. I had a great time with the 405 in Texas a few weeks ago and if I can put them in a 2" circle at 100 yds with no problem, it's fun to close the range on critters before pulling the trigger. I'm hoping it's going to be my "election celebration" piece! smile

Jeff, if you have any loads, pass them on! jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice rifles Frog! what calibers?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jorge, in case Ingwe forgot to say it : You SUCK grin

I look forward to seeing the pictures on Wednesday.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
uber-cool piece.....doesn't look like it really needs much except maybe a little steam work on that stock gouge, I'd be tempted to hunt it as is. what you going to have Turnbull do....full restore to new?

I'll see once I get it in my hands Steve, full restoration is pricey but it seems I'm liking the "retro" thing with rifles and hunting more are more. I had a great time with the 405 in Texas a few weeks ago and if I can put them in a 2" circle at 100 yds with no problem, it's fun to close the range on critters before pulling the trigger. I'm hoping it's going to be my "election celebration" piece! smile

Jeff, if you have any loads, pass them on! jorge
I agree with Steve. It looks like a nice, honest piece, as-is. Once the restoration is done, it's done. It'll never be original again.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah but it will be a Turnbull restoration Mark, big difference. Most of the historical pieces they have redone, maintain their value. Regardless, at this stage in my life it's not somthing I'm looking to seel but rather pass on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinBetween Sharps Rifles and 95 Winchesters,yer really going to Hell wid yerself there Brotha! grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah but it will be a Turnbull restoration Mark, big difference. Most of the historical pieces they have redone, maintain their value. Regardless, at this stage in my life it's not somthing I'm looking to seel but rather pass on.

I just passed an old (but damn near new looking) Remington 100 Lightweight 20 to my nephew so if you're looking to pass it on to someone sooner rather than later I have a suggestion. grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm tellin' ya - man's on a roll!

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't you know it, even the double hasn't seen the light of day in over in two months. Really looking forward to this 95 in 303 for a hunting rig. BTW, I have the Sharps pretty well dialed in with that new 500gr PP Bill told me to get.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
jorgeI;
Thanks for putting up the photos of your new 95, it actually looks in pretty good condition.

From what I can glean talking to some of the hunters who grew up here and from looking at old hunting photos, the 95 was one of "the" rifles to have in our part of BC.

I'd say that the .30-40 was the most common I've run across, with the .303 and '06 being about equal and coming in 2nd, followed by the older rounds in no particular order.

As others have mentioned, I've seen very few 7.62 Russian 95's in a lifetime of being a gun guy - perhaps 2 is all I can recall.

Lastly, depending upon your particular rifle and as ingwe has mentioned to me as well, some .303 rifles will shoot .308" bullets - such as Partitions - amazingly well. Food for thought anyway in case you're not pleased with the results from the somewhat limited selection of .311" projectiles out there.

I do look forward to seeing it after the Turnbull crew has done their magic. While I've yet to see one of theirs in the flesh, the photos of the work they do are typically jaw dropping to me.

Thanks again, all the best to you and yours sir and good luck on your hunts and rifle project.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Congrats my friend...The '95 is such a cool rifle, and a .303 just ups the cool factor. I've always lusted after a military carbine in .303...one of these days man, one of these days.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks to all for the compliments. I've been poring over my Winchester book, and there is some stuff on the 95 but unlike the 70s details are lacking. This is the first 303 I've ever seen and according to the book they sold well, mostly in Canada and that makes sense. This rifle was at the Gander Mtn store in Minnessota. Manufacture date of 1915.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
jorge, you'd be nuts to let a restorer lay their hands on a nice old piece like that. Old pieces like that have character. Making it look like it just shipped from the factory just erases all that. Don't do it. It's really a crime.

PS Do you think I should ship off my old Winchester Model 1890 (3rd Series) to Turnbull for a full restoration?

[Linked Image]

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
From your picture it does not look like it needs it. As far as restoration goes, there's restoration and there's restoration by experts. It happens to paintings by the Masters, vehicles, etc. If done RIGHT it does not detract from the value and in most cases it adds to it.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
From your picture it does not look like it needs it.
Neither does your 1895. Every mark on it gives it added value, IMO.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
jorgeI;
If I can be indulged, I'll share just one 95 user's story with you from here in BC - to get your "interest up" in the rifle so to speak. wink

One of my hunting mentors was my buddy's late grandfather Jake, a small Mennonite man who grew up on a farm in the Peace River area near Fort St. John during the depression. His rifle of choice was a 95 in .30-40 that had less than no finish left on it, the wood resembling a pole fence rail in need of replacement.

Anyway sir, with this rifle he'd killed by actual count somewhere north of 50 moose including a BC book bull - the palms on it were just crazy big. He also told me that he'd taken a couple sheep and mountain caribou with it.

I asked about deer and he said that he had no way of knowing as he used to shoot them for his family and the neighbors who were in need as well in the '30's.

Jake had a particular hatred for bears though as they would wreck his family garden - in a time when the garden might mean them either making the winter or not. Somehow Jorge, in the fog of my memory I can't recall just how many grizzly bears Jake had killed with that 95, but I do recall thinking I'd have to have taken off my boots to count that high.

Then I asked him about black bears, whereupon he set down his coffee, looked me in the eye and replied, "Nobody would believe me if I told them Dwayne, so I just don't tell anyone a number"

He picked up his coffee again and before taking a sip muttered to nobody in particular, "Some weeks I shot a lot of them..." whistle

Anyway sir, hopefully you enjoyed the 95 story this election morning. Since my time with Jake, every 95 I pick up I wish it could talk to me - I'd bet that some like Jake's could keep me spellbound for days.

All the best to you and yours again.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (007FJ, 21, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,916
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.