Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
We had a good hunt in Texas the past few days. 5 of us were hunting and we took 4 nice bucks. My bud John and I both got nice bucks, but sadly my bud John(Pullit) didn�t get a chance to score. Would have been so much better had we all punched tags, but we had a good time none the less. Now, for the story�.

The first morning my guide and I went to a ground blind looking over a rye patch the farmer had put in a few weeks prior. We saw a few does, some pigs, a few turkeys, and a couple small basket rack bucks. That evening was much the same around the blind, but we spotted a nice buck on the sky line late about 6-700yds out. Turns out that the farmer had put in a new rye patch on the far ridge to our North and the deer were already hitting it despite not having much growth yet. The second morning we sat in the same blind, but it was pretty slow. Shortly after daylight we spotted a nice buck bumping some does around on the new rye about 700yds out:
[Linked Image]
After seeing the two nice bucks in the distance, we decided it was time for a move, so we went in early that eve to look over the new field. The wind was out of the SW and the deer we had seen in that field seemed to be coming in from the NW, so I asked if we could build a small brush blind in the NE corner of the field. We gathered up some brush and built a small make shift blind and settled in for the eve. Just before dark some does started to filter into the field. Shortly after I spotted a nice buck about 200yds out, but it was getting almost too late to see very well through my binos. I twisted my Conquest to 10x and looked over the buck, he was a solid 130ish wide 8, so I decided to pass. As light faded a really big bodied buck entered the field at around 380yds, he was a huge bodied buck, but all I could tell was he had antlers. After that buck entered the field several more large bodied deer entered near him, but it was too late to tell what they were. The next morning we slipped into the same brush blind well before light. Just after daylight a group of does came through, followed by two nice bucks about 100yds out. The first buck was a 125ish 8pt and the second was a darn nice 130 class 8 with good width and long g2s. Both were young 3.5 year olds, so I decided to pass. Things were slow for a while, then we saw a couple more small 2.5yo 8s filter through. That eve the wind switched around out of the NW, so I told my guide I�d like to go to the far corner of the field and build a brush blind if he was cool with it. He said sure, so we headed out early to get a blind put together. We piled up some dead trees and covered them in oak brush, then settled in. It was a sweet set-up, we had perfect wind, we were right on the edge of the brush in our make shift blind and about 90-100yds out from where the deer had been entering the field. About an hour or so before dark, does started filtering into the rye and the blind was working sweet, they didn�t even notice us in the brush. As the sun went down a few bucks came on the scene further in the field, all decent 8s, but none had entered the field close by where we thought they�d be. Then, as light was fading, I heard all sorts of commotion in the brush to our left and here they come. A few does pop out, then a nice 8 following behind. About that time a dang boar entered the field and made the deer a bit spooky, but he had somewhere to be and eased off fairly quickly without spooking the deer. I thought the jig was up after the pig had cruised by, but then I heard some more noise in the brush and out pops another nice tall 8 just where the pig had come from. My heart is starting to thump at this point, it was getting exciting to say the least. The 8 takes off twds the does and as I�m following him across the field I cross a big bodied deer only 150yds out! Bam, there he was, a big bodied mature buck came out of nowhere, but he turns shortly after I spot him and is heading away walking. I lean up a bit on the sticks to get a clear shot, settle in, and he turns a hard quarter away and takes off walking! It�s fixing to be over, he�s headed back twds the brush over a small dip in the field and I�m about to lose sight of him. It was now or never man, so I settled in just in front of the back ham and touched off the shot. Booooom�. WHACK! And he goes down. I looked back at him and he�s hit hard, but trying to get up. I jumped up, ran up the hill to our left for a better angle, and put one through the shoulders. He wasn�t going anywhere as he was spewing out the entrance and hurt bad, but I hate seeing them suffer and bullets are cheap!

It was a done deal. We found where they were, made a couple moves, and it paid off with a BBD baby!

He�s not huge, but a nice mature buck with lots of character. Turned out to be a nice 8 with some cool features and a couple stickers:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My bud John had a heck of a hunt as well. They hunted some fingers overlooking a creek bottom full of oak brush. They kept seeing good bucks in an area about 300yds out, but John wasn�t comfortable with that shot. Monday morning they moved a bit closer to where they�d been seeing the deer and out walks a monster 170 class deer. He smoked him at 245yds and when he got down to him, he couldn�t believe what he�d just killed. He still can�t believe it. Main frame 11 with 7 extras:
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/Reloader01/Johns2012TXbuck.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/Reloader01/Johns2012buck.jpg[/img]

I sure wish my buddy Pullit would have knocked one down as well, maybe next year.

Good Luck to all of you out there chasing them.

loder

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Nice story!!! 2 studs!!!
Congrats!!!!

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a big, slick 8 right there! I like the character. The other buck would be impressive anywhere in the country.

Now with even more aplomb
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good deal Ronny, might have to go next year.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice bucks! Well done.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Congratulations. Great story.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great writeup! Congratulations on a great looking buck!

Eric

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
loder,

Great bucks! Congrats!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Nice bucks - congratulations to both of you!

NRA Member
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks fellas!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Loder: Excellent! two nice bucks there!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You grow them big, congratulations!

The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts the moment you get up and doesn't stop untill you get into the office.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations on some nice bucks.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Super bucks! Congrats!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I may not have gotten a chance to pull the trigger but still had a good time on the hunts and getting to see Ronny again and meet some new friends.
Congrats to all that did knock them down.

Last edited by pullit; 11/08/12.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Cool beans!

Take a child hunting, fishing or trapping. They are the next generation of outdoors people.
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nice work Loder. Couple of super bucks and a ton of fun...

Did you use that 6/06 with the 90 AB's? If so, how do you like those pills?

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by CLB
Nice work Loder. Couple of super bucks and a ton of fun...

Did you use that 6/06 with the 90 AB's? If so, how do you like those pills?

Yep, 6-06 and 90NABs. Not impressed with those pills thus far, but intend to give them a fair shake on more deer. I put a review of them in the Big Game reloading forum.

Thanks!

Have a good one,

loder

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great story and lovely bucks. I'd love to get a chance at one like those... too bad it is mostly pay to play here in TX. For now just keep saving $ smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 219DW, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,375 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,801
Posts18,496,290
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.