Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Has anyone used or have knowledge of how the Prvi Partizan 285 bullet in 9.3x62 would work for all around game? I'm thinking for black bear, moose, elk, hog, deer.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did some 9.3 bullet testing a few years back and posted my findings. I was mighty impressed with that bullet and bought enough to last me the rest of my life

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who makesd their bullets anyway?

1B

Last edited by 1B; 11/10/12.
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Nice, they are made by a company called Prvi Partizan. I believe its Serbian if I'm not mistaken? I will check to verify and get back though.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It is in fact Serbian.

IC B2

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know the factory is in Serbia. I've even been in Kragujevac. But does Prvi partisan make their all own bullets and brass or do they contract out for them?

The wide variety on offer now suggests the latter. As the main supplier to the old JNA and then Serb forces, they used to only produce military rounds. Now they are into marketing a lot of sporting rounds too but in lower production numbers. In such cases, some ammo plants buy the makings and even head stamped loaded rounds elsewhere rather than invest in new production lnes.

1B

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ok I missed that fact that you wanted to know if it was outsourced. I can't answer that.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just as here in US, European ammo makers outsource components and pass the head stamp around. Prvi makes "Wolf Gold" ammo. Like everything else, I seen a lot of complaints about their products on the net, but I've used a lot of their products with no problems what so ever.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by 1B
I know the factory is in Serbia. I've even been in Kragujevac. But does Prvi partisan make their all own bullets and brass or do they contract out for them?

The wide variety on offer now suggests the latter. As the main supplier to the old JNA and then Serb forces, they used to only produce military rounds. Now they are into marketing a lot of sporting rounds too but in lower production numbers. In such cases, some ammo plants buy the makings and even head stamped loaded rounds elsewhere rather than invest in new production lnes.

1B

they ve made sporting rounds for a while and for since the 70s at least ....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They look and act a whole lot like a lapua mega, but I have no idea if there is any correlation between the two.

IC B3

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't used them on game but have found the prvi to shoot under an inch at 100 yards in my CZ 9.3. There is a whole lot of exposed lead which looks like it would be a great round for larger game? I also contemplated the Hornady bullets also if this doesn't work as thought of. Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't had a chance to apply them to flesh yet either but I bought a Sh*t load of the factory ammo when Graf's had it for $14.99 a box a few years ago and they drive tacks in my CZ as well. I also bought a bunch of the bullets and am loading them for a Husqvarna 9.3x57.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well I'm heading to Vermont in a week to deer hunt, I will be hoping to connect on a buck using these bullets. Not a great indicator but some field time nonetheless. I will also plan on using these when I go to Canada for my black bear hunt next fall. I will chime back when I have some definitive answers on these in the field.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SCGunNut,

I jumped on those cheap loaded PP rounds from Graf's myself. I'll never shoot them all unless Cape Buffalo start gazing nearby.

1B

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1B
SCGunNut,

I jumped on those cheap loaded PP rounds from Graf's myself. I'll never shoot them all unless Cape Buffalo start gazing nearby.

1B

If only we could be that fortunate...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Esox357
Haven't used them on game but have found the prvi to shoot under an inch at 100 yards in my CZ 9.3. There is a whole lot of exposed lead which looks like it would be a great round for larger game? I also contemplated the Hornady bullets also if this doesn't work as thought of. Thanks.

Esox, keep us filled in either way please. I also thought about running the 270gr. Hornady and Privi partizan but instead went with the 286gr. nosler partition since they were cheap and hard to pass up, through Shooter's Pro Shop....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The PRVI 285gr bullets have been fairly accurate in my CZ. I use them for practice and fun shooting. The PRVI 9.3X62 brass is outstanding. It produces accurate ammo and seems to last forever.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
They look and act a whole lot like a lapua mega, but I have no idea if there is any correlation between the two.

The look almost exactly like the Mega and shoot to the same point of impact. The Mega will hold it's core better when stressed because it has a massive mechanical lock the PRVI lacks. Just because of it's size and the velocity from the 9.3x62, the PRVI should be able to handle anything in the states without any problems.

Scott
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had great luck with both the loaded ammo and their bullets! The hogs around here really, don't like them!

Their brass has held up extremely well!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by sactoller
I have had great luck with both the loaded ammo and their bullets! The hogs around here really, don't like them!

Their brass has held up extremely well!

Good to know. Got a few hundred and they shoot very well out of my 9.3x57. No kills with that bullet though.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Will do BSA, If I could have found Noslers at the Pro shop I would have gone with them over the Prvi's but no such luck after months of checking in with them. No shortage on the Prvi's and they are very cost effective.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm loading the 286gr NPs now, but last year I used the 286 Hornady and it worked very well on a black bear, wounded by a friend, at near point-blank-range. At an MV of 2400 + MV it entered behind the short ribs and made exit through the back of the neck taking out a 3" chunk of spine. But the bullet only left a thumb size hole in the thick hide, and not until the hide was pulled off was the full extent of the damage realized.

Hornady doesn't make a 270gr, but they do a 300gr "solid" in addition to the 286 Interloc. Just recently they've added a 250gr GMX (solid guilding metal with deep cavity and poly tip).

I think I'll give them a try when they become available here in Ontario.

I've always liked Hornady products when the appropriate ones are chosen for a particular application.

Their brass for the 9.3 X 62 is made by S&B by the way, and is excellent.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 11/22/12.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by husqvarna
The PRVI 285gr bullets have been fairly accurate in my CZ. I use them for practice and fun shooting. The PRVI 9.3X62 brass is outstanding. It produces accurate ammo and seems to last forever.

The PRVI brass I purchased was a pain in the ass. 1 out of 5 fits into the prescribed shell holder.

I do like their bullets on paper however.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by CZ550
I'm loading the 286gr NPs now, but last year I used the 286 Hornady and it worked very well on a black bear, wounded by a friend, at near point-blank-range. At an MV of 2400 + MV it entered behind the short ribs and made exit through the back of the neck taking out a 3" chunk of spine. But the bullet only left a thumb size hole in the thick hide, and not until the hide was pulled off was the full extent of the damage realized.

Hornady doesn't make a 270gr, but they do a 300gr "solid" in addition to the 286 Interloc. Just recently they've added a 250gr GMX (solid guilding metal with deep cavity and poly tip).

I think I'll give them a try when they become available here in Ontario.

I've always liked Hornady products when the appropriate ones are chosen for a particular application.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Bob,

I get better groups with the Hornady than I do the Prvi. Thanks for the field report.

The Hornady brass I've been running in my 9.3 has been fabulous, and I plan on buying lots more.

What is S&B?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by deflave
What is S&B?

Travis,

15000 posts here and you've never heard of Sellior & Belloit???

One would perhaps think that you do a lot more posting than reading... grin

(Of course, the above comment is tongue-in-cheek...)

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I do love gleaning information. But that one has escaped me.

Where are they located? Not that I really give a [bleep]. I'm still gonna buy and try anything that relates to what I'm using... grin

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Serbia, I think... Or perhaps Yugoslavia...?

Check Grafs.com and they have a good selection, I think...

Ooops! Not Grafs... blush Natchez? Midway? Midsouth?

Last edited by Grasshopper; 11/22/12.

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My buddy showed me a site where a guy sectioned some bullets very cleanly on eof which was the Prvi 285 gr. It has a thick, uniform jacket with a lot of lead exposed up front. At 9.3 velocities it should work awesome. It shoots well out my 9.3 Rem.

Interesting that flave has had probs with their brass. I've used Prvi brass in my 9.3 and .375 Holly with excellent results. I may try their .308 and .223.

BTW, I think the site was accurate reloading--can't remember.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Grafs? They're the [bleep] that sold me that Prvi garbage brass to begin with.

Pass the Hornady please. At least I know where the [bleep] Nebraska is...

Travis

PS-Happy Thanksgiving

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Travis, Travis, Travis......it's Thanksgiving. Just be thankful you have a 9.3X62. smile

Everyone doesn't! wink

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

Best,
Ted

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Saw an article recently in which the author said Norma reps told him that @ 80% of Norma brass currently pproduced is for the 308, 30-06, 6.5x55 Swede and ... the 9.3x62! I guess we just do not get Norma brass in 9.3x62 here in the US.

Prvi parisan by the way is based in Kragujevac, Serbia which is also the home of the Zastava Rifle works. Once was the Royal armory, then the Red Star works.

1B

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I shot a lot of the 286gr Norma Alaska, albeit in a 9.3x57.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Can't imagine anything in the lower 48 surviving a properly placed even piss poor 285 gr .366" diameter slug. Chit 223's are flattening deer and bear. They shoot very well in my 9.3's but I have not critter'd them yet.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sellier & Bellot is a Czech Republic company existing continuously since 1825. The names are of two Frenchmen who started the company, which became an engineering co. manufacturing machinery to make ball bearings among other things.

It supplied ammo for the Czech government before the 2nd War, and taken over by the Reds after. It began manufacturing of sporting ammo as a free company again in around 1972. It has won many awards. It's products go to about 70 countries around the world.

It was bought by a Brazilian ammo co. in 2009.

All that is a brief review extracted from Wikipedia.

BTW, Remington's 286gr in their relatively new load for the 9.3 X 62, is made by Hornady.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've still got a bunch of bullets I tested in wet phone books in the basement, I'll try and dig them out and get you all some photos tomorrow.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Never used the PRVI, however the Norma 286 Plastic Point Dual Core at 2300+ has put a pile of moose and caribou in our freezer over the past thirty years.

[Linked Image]

Ted

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CZ550

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

I have had no problems with Sellier and Bellot brass.....it is as hard as the hobbs of Hell and does require the necks to be annealed regularly.
But you can rest assured that the primer pockets will last.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Yukoner
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Never used the PRVI, however the Norma 286 Plastic Point Dual Core at 2300+ has put a pile of moose and caribou in our freezer over the past thirty years.

[Linked Image]

Ted

I'll bet it has....That's some good chit from what I've seen.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 1B
Saw an article recently in which the author said Norma reps told him that @ 80% of Norma brass currently pproduced is for the 308, 30-06, 6.5x55 Swede and ... the 9.3x62! I guess we just do not get Norma brass in 9.3x62 here in the US.

Prvi parisan by the way is based in Kragujevac, Serbia which is also the home of the Zastava Rifle works. Once was the Royal armory, then the Red Star works.

1B

That's the only kind of brass (Norma) I have for my 9.3x62mm and love it. Seems to be excellent stuff....

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by 1B

1B

I seem to recall Mule Deer mentioning that Nosler 9.3x62 brass is made for them by Norma...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

289 members (280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 40 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,228
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.