Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#7066019 11/11/12
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just watched To Hell and Back, the supposedly accurate movie about Audie Murphy's exploits in World War Two. His postwar string of very forgettable Westerns makes it easy to forget or to belittle the more important aspects of his life �

� Had to quit school when he was 12 to support a dying mother and to "father and mother" his four younger siblings.
� Turned down by the Marines and the Navy, he joined the Army � the infantry � when he was 16.
� Was commissioned lieutenant while he was still in his teens.
� Won every medal that he was eligible for � including the Medal of Honor � before he was 19.
� Was selected to go to the military academy at West Point, but battle wounds made him ineligible.

If only half the above is fact �

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Just watched To Hell and Back, the supposedly accurate movie about Audie Murphy's exploits in World War Two. His postwar string of very forgettable Westerns makes it easy to forget or to belittle the more important aspects of his life �

� Had to quit school when he was 12 to support a dying mother and to "father and mother" his four younger siblings.
� Turned down by the Marines and the Navy, he joined the Army � the infantry � when he was 16.
� Had won every medal that he was eligible for � including the Medal of Honor � by the time when he was 19.
� Was selected to go to the military academy at West Point, but battle wounds made him ineligible.

I love that movie.........has was a brave soul.

Last edited by 257Deland; 11/11/12.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4aYg3YRniWk[/video]

Medal of Honor Citation: 2d Lt. Murphy commanded Company B, which was attacked by 6 tanks and waves of infantry. 2d Lt. Murphy ordered his men to withdraw to prepared positions in a woods, while he remained forward at his command post and continued to give fire directions to the artillery by telephone. Behind him, to his right, 1 of our tank destroyers received a direct hit and began to burn. Its crew withdrew to the woods. 2d Lt. Murphy continued to direct artillery fire which killed large numbers of the advancing enemy infantry. With the enemy tanks abreast of his position, 2d Lt. Murphy climbed on the burning tank destroyer, which was in danger of blowing up at any moment, and employed its .50 caliber machine gun against the enemy. He was alone and exposed to German fire from 3 sides, but his deadly fire killed dozens of Germans and caused their infantry attack to waver. The enemy tanks, losing infantry support, began to fall back. For an hour the Germans tried every available weapon to eliminate 2d Lt. Murphy, but he continued to hold his position and wiped out a squad which was trying to creep up unnoticed on his right flank. Germans reached as close as 10 yards, only to be mowed down by his fire. He received a leg wound, but ignored it and continued the single-handed fight until his ammunition was exhausted. He then made his way to his company, refused medical attention, and organized the company in a counterattack which forced the Germans to withdraw. His directing of artillery fire wiped out many of the enemy; he killed or wounded about 50. 2d Lt. Murphy's indomitable courage and his refusal to give an inch of ground saved his company from possible encirclement and destruction, and enabled it to hold the woods which had been the enemy's objective.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Very respectable man he was, I have heard that he was very
troubled in his final years, nightmares, drinking, etc.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've always wondered if his acting provided for him. Sure hope so, he certainly earned it.

'Nother thing, did he ever have children?

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Wikipiedia. Supports it. Had a grandpa said he served with him, but I can't verify that cause he died when I was pretty young. I do remember that every time he watched that movie he would start crying. Always said audie was the toughest man a kid has ever had to be.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
WOuld seem the post WWII army didn't care much for mustangs if a MOH winner couldn't get in the academy regardless of old wounds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been through that dead-ass area of Texas around Celeste where he was a boy...it was probably pretty tough during those times and under his particular circumstances. He was an exceptional individual...showed a lot of bravery under fire. I heard that he killed well over a hundred men in battle. It was a damn shame that he was killed in a plane crash without being able to live to be an old man.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jericho
Very respectable man he was, I have heard that he was very
troubled in his final years, nightmares, drinking, etc.

He wrote the song 'Shutters and Boards' as sung by Jerry Wallace
[video:youtube]shutters and boards jerry wallace[/video]

Last edited by MColeman; 11/11/12.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

� Won every medal that he was eligible for � including the Medal of Honor � before he was 19.

Yep,its true. He was all of that. Some say that it wasnt tank shrapnel that got him, he just plain got shot in the azz geting away from it(the tank). Also some say that it was his lack of a high school diploma kept him out of the Point. Good Movie.

Swifty

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, I couldn't get it to display properly.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Audie Leon Murphy grew up in Grapvevine, Texas. I've stood at his gravesite several times these past few years. It's only a short distance from the Tomb of the Unknown!

http://www.audiemurphy.com/

I once watched an interview he gave to a journalist I can't recall and Murphy made the comment when asked by the journalist how he handled civilian life after the war and his comment was "I think I'm a little paranoid"! When asked why he felt that way he replied..."Because I sleep with a M1911 .45 pistol under my pillow at night"!

Hell...I've been paranoid all my life I guess!!

Last edited by RMulhern; 11/11/12.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
When I worked for the Army at the proving ground, one of my friends there was a young captain whose outstanding combat record in Viet Nam had made him the subject of a chapter in one of General S L A Marshall's military-history books. He was a legend among the troops at the proving ground, most of them veterans of 'Nam. He was denied promotion to major because he was "too old" at 35. (He was a "mustang," not a West Pointer. If he'd had "The Ring," � ) He had to revert to his old rank of sergeant.

He was a lot like Audie Murphy � a quiet Montanan with a chestful of "fruit salad," including Bronze and/or Silver Stars with oak-leaf clusters, but no Medal of Honor.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Another Texan to receive the MOH. This time in Vietnam.

http://www.psywarrior.com/benavidez.html

To have survived all that happened to this guy is incredible

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Glad this came up. Audie Murphy was a hero of mine ever since I saw the movie. To Hell and Back was on here this am. When he used the Thompson he fired a burst in a zig zag pattern. There are a couple of other movies that showed this too. I assume this is something he picked up in combat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JMR40
Another Texan to receive the MOH. This time in Vietnam.

http://www.psywarrior.com/benavidez.html

To have survived all that happened to this guy is incredible

Amazing. Those special ops boys were truly "special."

Mule
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I highly recommend Roy's biography. One of the guy's that I worked with until he retired in September knew Roy well though he was a little younger. Juan's older brother was killed in Vietnam and might have even joined up because he was Roy's friend. Roy is an icon in our part of Texas.

My Grandmother knew Audie Murphy when they were dirt poor kids. She said he was a "good looking and sweet boy". I bet the Nazis would have NOT agreed with her. My grandmother died last year and I always wanted to hear more of her childhood and teen stories but never got around to it.

Another interesting semi local is: http://billywaugh.net/

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
All three of these guys did extraordinary before they were 20. Hard to imagine it by today's standards.

My Uncle joined the Army at 16. Became a Ranger and was a LRP in Vietnam. His enlistment was over before he was 21. Think about that. My youngest son is sitting here in the den with me and will be 19 in 3 weeks. Hard to visualize him doing that already. Hopefully he can get his BS degree then at least if he chooses the Military he will be an O.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,464 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,306
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.