Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
brayh92 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I've never really been a slug gun hunter I've shot one here or there that my friends have handed me but I always preferred bows and black powder and since I've been down here stationed in the south I've become a rifle hunter but I got a great deal on a H&R tracker 2 slug gun with a rifled barrel I've heard a bunch of different things about what slugs you should and shouldn't use in them basically I just wanna know what I should put threw it sabot slugs or rifled slugs and what's a good brand?

You dont hurt them if you dont hit them
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As usual every firearm has it's own particular appetite for ammunition.Try regular slugs before you go spending bigger bucks for sabots.You may be surprised at the results.The slug gun you have is a good one.My personal experience has been that the old green box Remington regular slug is a good place to start testing.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sabots will most likely be most accurate out of a rifled barrel. I personally have had good luck with Lightfields

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If I shoot factory ammo I shoot Lightfield Hybred EXP 2 3/4".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree with Chumley. A rifled barrel will most likely shoot saboted slugs better. That being said, standard green box Remington Foster style rifled slugs can be bought for about 4.00 per box, where as most of the saboted stuff is way more than that. Try some Fosters and see how it shoots, but be prepared for sticker shock if you end up shooting sabots.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I've been shooting light fields for over 10 years and love them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never tried the Lightfields but have sure heard a lot of good things about them. My old 870 is a smoothbore. I had the barrel permanently mated to the frame and a Leupy base and rings mounted on the receiver. It's topped with an old Weaver V 1.5-4X. Shoots standard 2 3/4" Fosters into nice tight groups. 3" high at 50 yards puts it 3" low at 100, and that's about as far as I'd shoot it. It's dropping pretty good at that point. Longest shot to date has been about 45 yards on an Ohio 7 pt. DRT.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a Remington 1100 slug barrel (rifled) and it shoots the Lightfields really well. I have taken several deer with slugs, but rifled and sabot and they really put a deer down fast.

I just came back from a lottery hunt in S.C. where you could only use slugs. Several guys were using regular rifled slugs in rifled barrels and said they had tremendous accuracy out of plain jane Winchester and Remington slugs out of a rifled barrel.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Rifled barrels are made for sabot slugs. The twist rate of the barrel will very likely not be equal to that of the rifled slug which will result in poor accuracy as well as heavy deposits.

Federal Barnes Expanders work awesome for 5 of us in our party. However, knowing the twist rate will determine which Expander you go with (1450 fps or 1900 fps). 4 of use the 1900 fps ones and 1 of us uses the 1450 fps due to a different twist rate.

Again, if it was me, no way would I shoot a rifled slug through a rifled barrel, or you may spend a lot of time cleaning it. By the way, what does the gun manufacturer say?

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
As everyone above has stated, start with standard slugs from Rem/Win. You never know how they will shoot and you my get surprised. I have an 870 with a rifled barrel that shoots the standard Remingtom 1OZ slugs extremely well out to 90 yards. After that those 1OZ slugs might as well be flying bricks.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I thought the same thing as Berettaman prior to the hunt I went on. In fact, I told one of the fellas that I didn't think he was supposed to shoot rifled slugs in a rifled barrel. He told me the four deer he shot that morning proved otherwise and that the rifled slugs proved to be much more accurate than any sabots he tried. He did say he does get heavy deposits though.

By the way, most folks seem to be switching to the 20 gauge and there lots of deer killed on the lottery hunt I attended with the 20s.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
hastings lasar accurate slugs worked real good in my daughters 20 gauge ultra slug hunter back in the day

wish i never sold it now..................................

410 grains total weight 1600-1700 fps if i remeber right
350 gr slug
60 gr sabot

recoil was a mutha for sure...........................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
lightfields shoot quite will in my 20ga H&R.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
need to be careful with anecdotal evidence. Also, it is all in the twist rate. Like I said, my brother has a different twist rate and he cannot use the 1900s. Do the research, talk to the manufacturer and a gunsmith or three.

The other thing that hasnt been mentioned is that many of the new sabots have superior bullet performance compared to the old Foster (or rifled) slugs. I know, a lot of deer have died with rifled slugs, but that doesnt mean that sabots arent better. i have shot a lot of deer with rifled slugs and bullet performance was spotty at best. The Expanders we shoot are just devastating. Our group of 5 has shot a lot of deer since we switched to the expanders in the late 90s. And a lot before that with rifled. Now at risk of going agaist my own advice (be careful with anecdotal evidence), I think the 60+ deer we have shot with both types is a big enough sample to have some insights.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I was shooting smoothbore, I shot Remington Sluggers.

When I bought the rifled barrel, I switched to Lightfields. Super pricey, but I shot 6 deer with them. Every one of them was DRT. The only reason that 2 of them went anywhere from where they were shot was because they were running directly towards me, and I shot them in the chest. They practically lunged towards me, but were dead already.

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Those lightfields are some bad azz slugs. The two does I shot this past weekend with them dropped on the spot with devastating damage. I would not mind trying those Federal Expanders as I have heard good things about them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Berettaman-

How do you sight in with those Expanders, and how far out do you feel comfortable shooting them? (2" high at 50 yards, or ?)

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Berettaman
need to be careful with anecdotal evidence. Also, it is all in the twist rate. Like I said, my brother has a different twist rate and he cannot use the 1900s. Do the research, talk to the manufacturer and a gunsmith or three.

The other thing that hasnt been mentioned is that many of the new sabots have superior bullet performance compared to the old Foster (or rifled) slugs. I know, a lot of deer have died with rifled slugs, but that doesnt mean that sabots arent better. i have shot a lot of deer with rifled slugs and bullet performance was spotty at best. The Expanders we shoot are just devastating. Our group of 5 has shot a lot of deer since we switched to the expanders in the late 90s. And a lot before that with rifled. Now at risk of going agaist my own advice (be careful with anecdotal evidence), I think the 60+ deer we have shot with both types is a big enough sample to have some insights.

I was informed the Barnes Expanders were no longer being produced by Federal at this time(discontinued?)Anyone else know more on this subject?

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Remington Buckhammers out of a T/C Prohunter

[Linked Image]

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Gopher,
I am about 1.5" high at 50, right on at 100. I am comfortable out to 150. Group sizes average abou 2-3" at 100 yards.

There are a bunch of types of Barnes Expanders for 12 ga. 2 3/4 or 3", tipped or nontipped, and 1450 fps or 1900 fps. I am seeing less and less of the nontipped (original) version (maybe they have been discontinued?). I use the 12 ga 2 3/4", tipped, 1900 fps version as do 2 others in my group. We have one 12 ga 2 3/4 nontipped 1450 (due to a different twist rate) and one 20 ga 1900 fps nontipped. Another guy this year just started using them (dont know exactly which ones other than 12 ga) with great accuracy at the range, but no deer results yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,058
Posts18,501,159
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.