Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
By this thread compared hence other post.
I have now put two and two together.
I damn sure cannot guess the wieght of the dead deer you
are speaking of.

But I do know now after sitting back watching post.

This ASSCLOWN renegade50 is none other than our sweet innocent now
clean and sober non spelling. /see below.

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

CATMAN!!!

Last edited by TnDeerModerator; 11/14/12.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pahick
I measure the girth and use this chart (pdf file) from Penn State to get me close.

That is what I use. Actually, my fiance's brother shot an 8pt on Nov. 2 that weighed in on the scale at 165lbs. The girth measurement was 2lbs off. Pretty decent if ya ask me!

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

allison stp wannabe whigger, pretty fly for a whiteguy

nope i dont need a sock puppet named catman..................

assclown................................................

G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Is this a serious question? confused

Well it was - out of curiosity. I hear hunters talking about 200 pound deer, etc... all the time. Never weighed one before, and when we slung the carcass onto the scale I wondered what the buck might have weighed while alive.

Had a pretty good feel for it during the drag though. Was guessing around 170 - 180 pounds live weight.

I've quartered a few and hauled them out. Then learned to bone them out for a lighter, more compact load. A mulie makes a pretty good load for one hunter. This one wasn't far from the truck though, so it was back to just dragging him out.

Dunno what happened here to the thread. Another Campfire Cluster I suppose.

Thanks for the info guys. Appreciated.

Guy

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
It kind of seems to me that the deer forum got invaded by a bunch of people from Tennessee around the same time last January. They don't seem to have a much to contribute, yet they enjoy talking and berating each other a lot.

I know nothing about weights of animals other than the basics, I just try and guess lower than what my back is telling my brain because he is a compulsive liar. Congrats on the deer and the easy pack out!

Nels
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GuyM
Is there a way to get a rough estimate of the live weight of a deer - from the weight of the carcass?

Weighed a buck at 120 pounds, he'd been field dressed, skinned, head & part of the neck cut off and all four lower legs removed.

Wonder what he weighed alive? Just curious. Never weighed a deer carcass before.

Thanks, Guy

You can get a pretty accurate estimation (within about 2-3 pounds) by measuring the girth of the torso immediately behind the forelegs. For instance;

20 inches = 50 pounds (approx)
25 inches = 70 pounds (approx)
30 inches = 100 pounds (approx)
35 inches = 135 pounds (approx)
40 inches = 190 pounds (approx)

etc, etc, etc.

Of course, there are some slight variables in reference to what might alter or adjust those ratios, but nothing that would really move them by a significant (5-7 pounds or greater) margin. By-and-large, it's a pretty accurate estimation source.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Deer like other animals are different in their build. Some are short and some are tall. There are also those that are more slight in their build while some are stocky. My opening weekend buck field dressed at 194# which was higher than what I would have guessed. After I loaded him in the sled it seemed like my sled got shorter. when he was hanging sans hide I realized how long his bodily was and now understood why he weighed so much. Any calculator that only uses girth is ignoring a pretty big variable if you ask me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bigbuck_12
Deer like other animals are different in their build. Some are short and some are tall. There are also those that are more slight in their build while some are stocky. My opening weekend buck field dressed at 194# which was higher than what I would have guessed. After I loaded him in the sled it seemed like my sled got shorter. when he was hanging sans hide I realized how long his bodily was and now understood why he weighed so much. Any calculator that only uses girth is ignoring a pretty big variable if you ask me.

Actually, heart-girth (torso circumference) is a very accurate estimation system. The scientific literature cites it hundreds of thousands of times and it's used universally in the scientific community.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
hundreds of thousands of times?

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LittleCanyonCreek
It kind of seems to me that the deer forum got invaded by a bunch of people from Tennessee around the same time last January. They don't seem to have a much to contribute, yet they enjoy talking and berating each other a lot.

I know nothing about weights of animals other than the basics, I just try and guess lower than what my back is telling my brain because he is a compulsive liar. Congrats on the deer and the easy pack out!
[Linked Image]

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Weight on a buck can and does change drastically from start to finish of the rut.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Raeford
Weight on a buck can and does change drastically from start to finish of the rut.
thank you BSK

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I am here, with answers, as needed, anytime. smile

FJB & FJT
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Raeford
I am here, with answers, as needed, anytime. smile
does a waxing or waning moon affect the live weight?

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why not just buy some damn scales? Or would that be to simple?

"If you have to ask you can't afford it" ETN10
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
bares no weight grin whatsoever on a deers' live weight. Nor does it have any bearing whatsoever on movement.
Anything else?

FJB & FJT
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Sniff

In a van down by the water
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by FartSniffer
Sniff

^^^^^^^^^^^^^Allison^^^^^^^^^^^^^

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You didn't add a GD thing to this thread behind my reply to the OP with what I feel was useful information.

Your only contribution is some whining.

Hijacker.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by slumlord

You didn't add a GD thing to this thread behind my reply to the OP with what I feel was useful information.

Your only contribution is some whining.

Hijacker.

Both you girls stop crying AssClowns sick

In a van down by the water
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (17CalFan, 1minute, 204guy, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,288 guests, and 1,381 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,683
Posts18,493,925
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.