Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
VarmintGuy,

Rough barrels obviously aren't uncommon in today's Savage rifles, but $5 worth of Dyna Bore Coat usually solves the fouling problem--or at least it has in every Savage barrel I've tried it on. DBC is a lot less expensive solution than a new barrel, but then despite the stuff being around for several years now (and a lot of good feedback from shooters) apparently many remain ignorant of its virtues.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I need to get out more huh? Been shooting them for decades. Never seen a bad one. Like I said when they stop pleasing me I will stop buying them.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mule Deer: Thanks for the tip on that product - I will try and permanently store it in my memory bank.
What are your thoughts on that products use and the "normal barrel life" of a factory barrel?
Does it shorten a barrels life noticeably?
Obviously most folks would rather have a Rifle that does not foul, and does maintain its accuracy for a normal length string of shots, even if the barrel life is shortened somewhat.
I am going to look that product up and read up on it.
Indeed I was one of the "ignorants" you referred to and now I know.
Thanks.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
DBC doesn't shorten barrel life, and may in fact extend it, though the jury's still out on that one. It lasts as long as the barrel; you only have to install it once.

It's basically tiny glass particles in a quick-drying liquid glue. You clean the bore to bare metal, degrease, then smear the DBC inside the bore with a patch or bore-brush. Wait half an hour for the glue to set, then shoot half a dozen rounds. The pressure and heat of the firing presses the glass into imperfections in the bore, and fouling is reduced considerably. The DBC folks claim at least 80% reduction, and in my experience they're right.

I put it in all my rodent rifle bores anymore, and can fire any of them several hundred rounds without cleaning--and when I do clean, it takes far less effort, solvent and time.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
John,

Curious if you've been around a 17 Hornet yet? I'm thinking a Ruger may be in my future. Should be up and running by p-dog season.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the future is now....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've been watching your exploits with the whorenat - looks like a good 'un! Mine isn't happening quite yet due to other krap I've recently bought needing payed off shocked.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ruger did a pretty good job of cataloguing the rifle, and having them available shortly. I figured it would be a good while before rifles were out with the public.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Billy,

No, I haven't shot the .17 Hornet yet. Was invited on the original Hornady/Savage PD shoot in Wyoming to introduce the cartridge but had a prior commitment.

Will probably end up with one since I have every other commercial .17, so why not another? May get a Ruger, or a Bullberry carbine barrel for the T/C Contender. Am kinda waiting to see what CZ does as well.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
By the way, are we thinking of this as a coyote round? Anyone shot anything bigger than a skunk w/it yet??? Just curious...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whomped a big badger. Neck shot. I've been 2 mornings trying to call in a coyote, but it just hasn't happened. Yet....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Billy,

No, I haven't shot the .17 Hornet yet. Was invited on the original Hornady/Savage PD shoot in Wyoming to introduce the cartridge but had a prior commitment.

Will probably end up with one since I have every other commercial .17, so why not another? May get a Ruger, or a Bullberry carbine barrel for the T/C Contender. Am kinda waiting to see what CZ does as well.

Neat. I'm thinking a Ruger 17 Hornet might be my Xmas present to myself.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had a custom built about 20 years ago on an Anschutz action. Lothar Walther (sp?) barrel. It was an excellent rifle that shot squirrels really really well. Zero recoil. Lots of interesting stories about the crack of the rifle and how it did not seem to affect game in the surrounding area like the 22 centerfires. Keep an eye on that as you play with yours. I had a tough time killing coyotes cleanly every time, but sometimes it was perfect, very dramatic. Shot placement really is critical on coyotes. Mine had a hair trigger which really helped accuracy. The clip on mine went from holding 5 to 4 when it got customized from 22 hornet to 17 hornet. I think you guys will enjoy them. To be honest, I always wished for more power, so the 17 Fireball would be my first choice now. I currently don't get to shoot varmints much, but keep a .221 Fireball for the task.

LOL
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
One of my gopher shooting pards has been using the .17 Hornet on a custom for years. He also maintains the less noise keeps the gophs up, especially outside a certain radius( don't know what his calculations are...) I'm thinking there may be some merit to the concept....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe
One of my gopher shooting pards has been using the .17 Hornet on a custom for years. He also maintains the less noise keeps the gophs up, especially outside a certain radius( don't know what his calculations are...) I'm thinking there may be some merit to the concept....

Quick story on that-
Calling coyotes from an elevated rockpile in brushy terrain. Using a fawn bleat. 3 does were concerned and were working their way to me at about 75 yards. Out of the corner of my eye I see a coyote move. About 100 yards away he's spotted the does instead of me, so I swing slowly around and put one in his throat. Hunched up and toppled over. Looking back to the deer, I expect to see tails running, but they didn't miss a lick, just still slowly meandering my way. Only thing I can figure is I was hunting farm country and they were used to the various assorted bang clank noises of trucks, gates, and farm equipment, and this rifle shot fit inside their parameters of those noises. Saw the same thing with coyotes.
I hunted the same area with a 22-250 and finally had this rifle built due to increased settlements surrounding here. I promise you the 22-250 cleared the critters out in an area.
Another day, I called 4 coyotes and 1 bobcat from 5 stands in just a couple hours sweeping through this same area. The shots from the 17 Hornet did not break up the critters.

Last edited by Fireball2; 11/20/12.

LOL
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Interesting.....and duly noted.

One more bit of rationale for buying a 17 Hornet.... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Shot placement really is critical on coyotes

as per everything.......

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ingwe

Yep. A day on the dog town with a rifle burning 40 plus grains of powder, versus one burning 20 or less will make this readily apparent.

Doesn't take many shots with a Swift before you have to take advantage of it's flat trajectory, simply because everything close got sick of the noise and went underground. I find this really shows on a dog town that's been shot over a few times. A guy with a good 22 L.R. can often get quite a bit of shooting in on a town that's been picked over by the high power legions.

Last edited by prairie_goat; 11/20/12. Reason: clarification in nomenclature
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Glad to hear others have noticed it too....I havent used the hornet yet but in the last couple years Ive been shooting a .222 and thought I noticed more critters than when I was shooting the .223 or .204...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Shot placement really is critical on coyotes

as per everything.......

Well, that's not exactly true with coyotes is it? A 22-250 to the azz kills them, but a 17 hornet to the azz don't real well. The 17 Hornet killed a bunch of coyotes for me, but I'm telling you shot placement is critical, and I think you all know what I mean. There's a difference between a 243 and a 17 Hornet. One is more forgiving than another.

LOL
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 1,175 guests, and 713 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.