Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm starting to think that every time Keith and O'Neil developed or experimented with a different caliber, they stamped an "OKH" after it.

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by buckstix
I'm starting to think that every time Keith and O'Neil developed or experimented with a different caliber, they stamped an "OKH" after it.

Go ahead and clear your cards, folks; we have a winner.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by boy1
You might call Rifle Magazine 928- 445- 7810 and ask them to check key words like : 280 OKH or Elmer Keiths 280 , etc . They have everything Computerized and can tell you if there were any Articles on that Subject and which Issue they were in .

Hello boy1,

Thanks for the suggestion. It took less than 4 hours after calling the number above to get a reply. Unfortunately, no mention of the 280 OKH was found. Looks like I wii be doing a chamber cast next Tuesday. I'll be posting pictures then.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello Folks,

Well, my Cerrosafe arrived today and I've spent the last 6 hours casting, measuring, photographing, disassembling & reassembling, and trying to get as many details into this discussion as possible.

Please excuse the unorganized introduction of the information; I'm just going to start listing facts as best I can about the rifle and accessories. Hopefully this will address many of the questions raised in previous discussions.

I'll start with the 280 O.K.H. caliber and cases.

Shown below are some of the fired empty cases that came with the rifle. This one box has the load "55g 4350 - 180g" hand written on the side. All the boxes and cases are Western Cartridges Co. 300 H&H primed brass.

[Linked Image]

The bullets are boxed in 25s and the top of the boxes are ink stamped "CAL. .280 MAG" - "180 GR. C.P." - Bullets measure 0.2885" diameter and 1.272" long and weigh 180 grains.

[Linked Image]

A chamber cast is shown along side a loaded cartridge. Overall Length of the chamber is 2.840". Overall Length of the case is 2.800". Case shoulder dia is 0.504". Length of the cartridge base to shoulder is 2.210". There is a 0.080" radius joining the neck to shoulder. This case has a single radius only, not a double-radius like a Weatherby case. There is NO radius of the shoulder to body junction. Chamber throat diameter is 0.2890" and the chamber has 1.9375" long freebore. This is a true "freebore" NOT throat erosion.

[Linked Image]

When you compare similar cases, the 280 O.K.H. falls between the 280 Dubiel and the 280-300-CCC. The Grains-of-Water capacity is shown below each case. Interestingly, the 280 O.K.H. and the 280-300-CCC are both nearly identical in capacity to our modern day 7mm STW being minus -8/10th of one grain, and plus +1/10th of one grain, respectively.

[Linked Image]

I disassembled the rifle entirely and discovered that the barrel has been set-back. There is an old "280-300-CCC" caliber marking under the wood at what appears to have been the top of the barrel of a previous mounting. It therefore reasons that the current 280 O.K.H. stamping is the last and current caliber.

The rifle's internal magazine box has been altered to take cartridges with an Overall Loaded Length of 3.600" long. And as mentioned earlier, the action port has a clearance cut-out to allow the removal of a loaded round.

[Linked Image]

The 26-1/2" bull barrel measures 0.875" diameter at the muzzle and 1.250" diameter at the receiver. It is cut with 6 lands and grooves. The unloaded rifle with the 2-1/2 power Lyman All-Weather Alaskan Scope weighs exactly 12-1/2 pounds. The scope has extra fine cross-hairs with a tiny 1/2-minute dot.

The wooden shipping crate has many historic stampings and labels. As depicted at the beginning of this post, the crate's lid shows Elmer Keith's "North Fork Idaho" address.

[Linked Image]

This end of the crate shows the Railway Express label.

[img]http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/express1a.jpg[/img]

Numerous Ink Stamps are found on all sides showing "C. M. O'Neil" and his "Hopkins, Minn." shipping address, as well as his "FED. LIC. 887", Federal Firearms License number.

[img]http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/express4a.jpg[/img]

The opposite side of the crate shows the remnants of another old faded label that has yet to be deciphered.

[img]http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/express3a.jpg[/img]

And here is something that I missed entirely. When I had the rifle apart, I searched the barrel thoroughly for any stamping that might give a clue as to who / when this rifle might have been built for Elmer. Only when I reassembled, cleaned, and oiled everything did I notice the "C M O'NEIL" stamp on the muzzle face. I guess that answers that!

[img]http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/muz4.jpg[/img]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Wow, what a history lesson..thanks for the information..these two were very interesting folks..I visited O'Neil's grave in Superior, Montana in 2011...You rifle must have been built before Charlie moved to Mt...there was a write up on O'Neil in Percision Shooting, I believe, in 2011...

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This has been very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks Buckstix for starting this thread. It has been very interesting to say the least.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yeah great thread and seems like you've gained some provenance too. Nice outfit .Magnum man

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
WOW! A window into top of the game wildcatting history. And, we have a ring side seat...

Thanks,

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
This has been very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

AMEN! One of the best threads ever on the Campfire. cool cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
What's that? ... Eagles?

"PESTS!"

Used to be able to hunt bald eagles in Alaska for money. Back when they had a 5 cent bounty on Dolly Varden trout.

[Linked Image]

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That 1.9375" is some free bore, and to think that some get paranoid with a normal 7x57 throat length of about .3545".

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ghost
Back in Elmer's day, Eagles despised. He shot them when he could, and his DIL sent me a picture of a NRA cover with Elmer and Loraine on the front, with a dead eagle.

Hello ghost,

You mention you corresponded with Elmer's DIL. Is there any chance to find out if Elmer kept any journals or notebooks about his and Charley O'Neil's experimentation with rifles such as mine. It would be interesting to back-track their thinking of over 70 years ago.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Could you post a picture of the NRA cover?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have had everything on hold while I waited for loading dies, which may never come. So, I finally put together some assorted dies to reload these, and I tried about a half-dozen different combinations.

Here is a 100 yd target that was shot with 55.0g of IMR 4350 and a 175g bullet. - Just like Elmer said in his write-up about this rifle. I had several groups right around an inch, but this was the best group "so far" - a solid 7/8" 5-shot group.

I'll post more pics as I get loads developed, if they do better than this. I guess this rifle would be good for long range hits on Coyotes and Eagles.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Huntz
All I can say is you got a way cool rifle and extras with it!!!

That's for sure!

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tzone

That's for sure!

This is the coolest and most informative thread I've read in Campfire history.

What a nice piece of living history.

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Great thread! Thanks!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by buckstix
I've had everything on hold while I waited for loading dies, which may never come. So, I finally put together some assorted dies to reload these and tried about half-a-dozen different combinations.

Here is a 100 yd target that was shot with 55.0g of IMR 4350 and a 175g bullet. - Just like Elmer said in his write-up about this rifle. I had several groups right around an inch but this was the best "so far." A solid 7/8" 5-shot group.

I'll post more as I get loads developed if thesy do better than this. I guess this rifle would be good for long range hits on Coyotes and Eagles.

[Linked Image]

The grand old rifle is still shooting pretty darn good. cool cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by tzone

That's for sure!

This is the coolest and most informative thread I've read in Campfire history.

What a nice piece of living history.

Gunner

I agree, I grew up reading Kieth and O'connor, this is way cool!!!

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

272 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 257 roberts, 10Glocks, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,296
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.