Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
joe6555 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Been hunting for over 45 years and this is something I have never experienced before. Was sitting in a ladder stand when a doe walks out at about 200 yards. Try as I might, I could not get a steady rest for a shot. Finally steadied up a little and started trigger squeeze. All of a sudden, I jerked the trigger involuntarily. Don't know where the shot went, but barely scared the doe. About a half hour later, I decide to go check just to be sure it was a total miss. As I leave the stand, a spike steps out at about 40 yards. Brush between us presents a problem, so I carefully work back to the ladder and climb a couple of steps for a clearer shot. Line up and again, halfway thru the squeeze, a jerk occurs. Hit him poorly, and have to put a finisher in him.

Never experienced anything like this, and can shoot paper all day with no problem. Also, I can dry fire at dogs, cats, cows, etc. and not have this reaction. Any cure?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Must be catching,..my dad has it.

Paper, coyotes, squirrels, no problem.

Only happens when he's lined up on deer.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You point guns and pretend to shoot at peoples pets and live stock?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Must be catching,..my dad has it.

Paper, coyotes, squirrels, no problem.

Only happens when he's lined up on deer.

I've got it so bad with archery equipment that it's damn near impossible to sight in my bow. It sucks HUGE.

Wish I could tell you how to fix it... frown

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bruinruin

I've got it so bad with archery equipment that it's damn near impossible to sight in my bow. It sucks HUGE.

Wish I could tell you how to fix it... frown

There are releases out there that claim to fix "target panic".

My cousin uses one. They feel goofy to me, but might cure your problem...

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Subconscious fear of failure.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've been fighting it with archery gear. I gave up archery for about 4-5 yrs and just now am back to it. I can deal with it but I'm really having to bear down. Just one shot at a time. No excuses. It's working but every shot is a special form of torture.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Each shot being a special form of torture is an apt description. Target panic sucks. frown

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BrentD
I can deal with it but I'm really having to bear down. Just one shot at a time. No excuses. It's working but every shot is a special form of torture.

You just described me shooting my flintlock....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well, my main deer rifle is a flintlock and I manage with it okay. It is nothing compared to the agony of archery. But I do get huge relief and a rush of good feeling from every good shot with a bow. So, I focus on earning that reward and I'm slowly learning to cope with target panic. That's not to say I think it will be a thing of the past. I suspect I'll always say, "My name is Brent and I have Target Panic," but I think I can work with it now.

I don't think there are quick fixes or complete fixes. AT least not for me. I've tried bunches of them. No, all that has worked is to bear down and take 1 perfect shot. and not get too frustrated when that doesn't happen, forget it and move the next as if it will be the only next shot ever.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The first single cam bow I bought had a solid back wall. Not the cushy feel of the two cams. So I sold my Matthews Outback and picked up a Switchback which has a spongy back wall. Walla...no more target panic with a bow.

I do occasionally blind bale shoot and I think that helps. I also fire my bow while I am actually telling myself to aim carefully because I am not actually going to fire the bow. Sounds stupid but it helps me aim better not thinking about the release.

Years ago I shot every brand of slug through my 11-87 SPD. I ended up with a whopper case of target panic that cost me two trophy bucks in the one year I had it. I more or less shot through it by shooting a lot of varmint rifles and rimfires. I also traded the 11-87 off for a muzzleloader. The difference in felt recoil had a major effect on my ability to avoid target panic. The bottom line is I don't handle recoil well so I shoot guns that have minimum recoil. No more target panic.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
ted nugent wrote an article about how he got over his. guess he started so close he couldn't miss and then backed up over time until he got back to normal.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
On occasion I will about hyperventilate when a turkey is just about at that spot where I can take a shot.

I still think there is nothing worse than watching something for hours before you can finally get a shot. I love the 'right the [bleep] now moments' much better.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter

Was wondering the same thing?

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mikeymjr23
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter

Was wondering the same thing?

At least he never mention PEOPLE and their pets....... crazy

Last edited by 257Deland; 11/17/12.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I still think there is nothing worse than watching something for hours before you can finally get a shot. I love the 'right the [bleep] now moments' much better.

I'm with ya on that. Especially the turkeys.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
ted nugent wrote an article about how he got over his. guess he started so close he couldn't miss and then backed up over time until he got back to normal.

He must have been going through that phase when he was in town for a concert a few years back. He came out to a local archery club here to christen the new range and sign some autographs. (had him sign my bow actually)

Anyway, his form of christening was to shoot an arrow into one of the new bale targets. It was 3 or 4 square bales high at 20 yards. He pulled that shot so bad the arrow went sailing 5 feet over the top of the target.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Subconscious fear of failure.

Yep. Helps if one can change the frame of mind from "man, I hope I don't miss" to "church is out for that critter"...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BrentD
I've been fighting it with archery gear. I gave up archery for about 4-5 yrs and just now am back to it. I can deal with it but I'm really having to bear down. Just one shot at a time. No excuses. It's working but every shot is a special form of torture.

Went through a three-year stretch myself. Target in the basement, no bullseye, closed eyes release. Finally feeling like I can schedule a hunt or two centered around archery equipment again.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Scott,

A gobbler coming in is bad enough, but calling in a bull elk can get excruciating--especially when bowhunting.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 16gage, 12savage, 68 invisible), 2,861 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,644
Posts18,512,394
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.