Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
that is apparently the view of the tards who write the news in Maine, and the idiot mayor....who seems really cool with having another 600 unemployed in his town. but they really showed those capitalist bastards they couldn't be pushed around. if all Hostess's workers were this stupid, no wonder they couldn't make money.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/11/...ong-message-of-union-resolve/?ref=videos

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Funny, I was just reading that article and thought the same thing. I wonder when reality will set in, maybe by Christmas? I don't think I could ever move back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mark Twain once described his fighting acumen �

"Thrusting my nose firmly between his teeth, I threw him heavily to the ground on top of me."

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unionized "labor" is going the way of the dodo bird. Depending on whose numbers you look at only 8-12% of the workforce in the US is unionized and of that more than 50% of those are buerecrats, police officers, teachers etc....and not manual labor.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hostess makes some pretty nasty-ass crap. Gimme a moon pie and an RC Cola...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back when I could chew and swallow, I was 'way too fond of Little Debby's oatmeal creme pies. Not too fond of Twinkies. When our grocery had Little Debby's on sale for less than a dollar or two, I'd buy a package of those oatmeal creme pies, which were usually gone before I got home from the store. One package at a time was the most self-discipline that I could gin-up.

If I'd had A&W root beer to go with 'em, I'd've been as happy as an old hawg with a warm puddle and a good scratchin' post.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by NathanL
Unionized "labor" is going the way of the dodo bird....

When you are that dumb,extinction is inevitable. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The employees had already accepted 2 previous wage reductions and felt the company's new proposal for (1) a 3rd reduction, (2) loss of their pension and, (3) an increase in health insurance costs was too much. This is what the holding company wanted them to accept for the plant to remain open. One striking employee said "This will bring us to just above minimum wage."

I'm not saying the striking employees are right, but they felt they had nothing to loose.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have been an IBEW member for 25 years and a registered and voting Republican for about the same. It is starting to look like both may be ran by the same thought process. Maybe both have ran their usefulness. I will probably keep voting Republican and working Union as long as both hold out.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Just wait, the porch monkey will raise the union count significantly in the next 4 years. They are going to unionize the TSA bunch for starters.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh my Gawd, no Twinkies? But, they are legalizing Marijuana all over the US now. what are all those stoned out fools gonna do for munchies?

Oh the Humanity. wink

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
djs,

Here is the problem I have with the situation....

They are unskilled labor, but due to the unions, were probably making way more than the company could afford for labor costs.

So yes, maybe some should have been making just above min wages for what they do.

So the company has a decision....get concessions, or the company is worth more in liquidation then in business.

It's called capitalism, and is what made this country great (at one time anyway).

May sound cold, but it is a business, not a social service.

Look at GM...regardless of what the [bleep] says, they are still broke, as they still owe the American people $30 Billion or so.

They are a prime exaample of what happens when a company is run like a social service.

Romney was right...they should ha gone BK, clean their debt, restructure, with some Gov. help, then start over.

The only problem with that, is the unions lose big.....hint...

Tony

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djs
The employees had already accepted 2 previous wage reductions and felt the company's new proposal for (1) a 3rd reduction, (2) loss of their pension and, (3) an increase in health insurance costs was too much. This is what the holding company wanted them to accept for the plant to remain open. One striking employee said "This will bring us to just above minimum wage."

I'm not saying the striking employees are right, but they felt they had nothing to loose.

Why not just say I ain't working for that and quit? Hostess could have found out if other folks were willing to take the jobs and maybe I would still be able to get the cupcakes I like.

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"If we didn't have unions, everybody in America would probably be making four dollars an hour right now."

If that were true, imagine how cheap everything would be!

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djs

Our news said the wage cut was from $50k to 47k. Plus benies......@ 17% cut in health and 25% reduction in company contributions to the pension.

I'd take the 47k, plus still good bennies........over ZERO. For 18,000 employees........
Thanks, Baker's Union.

But that's just me.

Have Dog

Will Travel

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by NathanL
Unionized "labor" is going the way of the dodo bird....

When you are that dumb,extinction is inevitable. smile

Or thrive in government..... til it falls apart.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
What about all the vendors around the country?

Is this all Hostess products? Gone? That's going to effect more than just the assembly line folks.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It's not an unheard of union tactic. Think of the tractor companies. Minneapolis Moline and some of the other small companies that weren't doing all that well had strikes and were liquidated. Then they used it for leverage when they went to JD and IH. Sucks if you worked for one of the liquidated companies.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes.
Stock up now.
We are going to have the munchies bad after the 8 ball shows.
I'll bring beer.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you work for Snyder's today, you are smoking a Marlboro and scanning the rifle ads.
Win/win.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, AussieGunWriter, B52RadarNav, 35, 9 invisible), 1,408 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,251
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.