OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
What cartridge, bullet, and range?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

It wasn't 22 caliber, not even a black bear, but still not considered a bear cartridge. 7 foot Grizzly with a 25-35, 117 grain round nose at about 18 feet. One shot between the eyes and they say a 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly skull...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Somehow this doesn't add up....

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I now more then one with a 222rem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GW-I've known more than a few black bruins that took a dirt nap via a 22/250 or Swift.

One of the last one's I took with a 22/250 I used a 63 Sierra, 170 yds, quartering away. Bruin was a good one (20 3/16" noggin), my shot went in about where it's love handle would be on it's right side and exited his Adams apple. He went about 30 or so and tipped over.

IME the 22/250 and Swifto are plenty of round for black bruins.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I was with my Dad when I was about 14. He shot a blackbear with a 22 hornet from approx. 50y. I couldnt say what grain the bullet was. Nailed him right behind the ear and he dropped, flailed around a little and lights out.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have always heard that black bears arent hard to kill, just
hard to find.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jericho
hard to find.

Interesting thread, but I worry about the bravado that's going to be reinforced here. I wouldn't recommend shooting a bear with a 22. For the record, I used the 22 centerfires quite a bit early on in my hunting with good success on deer, but I did lose a bear to a 223. Shot was about 20 feet, to the neck to ensure a drop, but must have just grazed him. He was sick and hung around in the brush closeby, but as it was getting dark I flushed him out and he made away. All signs erased by overnight rain. Really bad judgement on my part to try it. I guess I just don't want to wound a bear like that and don't want to feel bad for using too little gun. You can do it, and it will work sometimes, but me personally I wouldn't go out in the woods singing about how well equipped I was. If I'd had more gun, I would not have taken a neck shot, but a body shot and would have had the bear. Get my thinking?

Last edited by Fireball2; 11/18/12.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Interesting. Me personally, I'd rather a 53gr .224 TSX (or any other bullet for that matter) through the heart/lungs vs a 168gr .308 through the neck. Not a fan at all of neck shots, no matter the game, cartridge, or the range...YMMV

Edited to add, I can only speculate, but I'll bet if you had shot that bear in the vitals with your .223, you'd have had a dead bear instead of a wounded and lost bear.

Last edited by GreatWaputi; 11/18/12.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Jericho
hard to find.

Interesting thread, but I worry about the bravado that's going to be reinforced here. I wouldn't recommend shooting a bear with a 22. For the record, I used the 22 centerfires quite a bit early on in my hunting with good success on deer, but I did lose a bear to a 223. Shot was about 20 feet, to the neck to ensure a drop, but must have just grazed him. He was sick and hung around in the brush closeby, but as it was getting dark I flushed him out and he made away. All signs erased by overnight rain. Really bad judgement on my part to try it. I guess I just don't want to wound a bear like that and don't want to feel bad for using too little gun. You can do it, and it will work sometimes, but me personally I wouldn't go out in the woods singing about how well equipped I was. If I'd had more gun, I would not have taken a neck shot, but a body shot and would have had the bear. Get my thinking?

I agree with you completey. I did see a bear killed with a 22 hornet but thats not to say it wasnt slightly irrespomsible. The smallest caliber I personally have ever shot a black bear with is a .243.

IC B3

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Interesting. Me personally, I'd rather a 53gr .224 TSX (or any other bullet for that matter) through the heart/lungs vs a 168gr .308 through the neck. Not a fan at all of neck shots, no matter the game, cartridge, or the range...YMMV

Edited to add, I can only speculate, but I'll bet if you had shot that bear in the vitals with your .223, you'd have had a dead bear instead of a wounded and lost bear.

+1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Virginian2
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

+1

+1K

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My poor results "bear" witness against me and also the wisdom of your advice. At that time, there were no premium .224 caliber bullets that I know of as there are today. I hate to admit it, but I may have been using a 52 or 53 grain hollow point while deer hunting when I poked the bear. Like I said, young and dumb. I can't fault the caliber as much as operator error and the lack of mono's that would have emboldened me to do the body shot. As a side note, I got a bear with a 392 yard neck shot (intentional) in Oregon's Chesnimnus unit years ago. That was a solid rest, known rifle/load/trajectory, and LOTS of preseason shooting.

Last edited by Fireball2; 11/18/12.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That I recall most all the bruins I've been around taken with the 22/250 and or Swift were with standard soft points and not Mono's. Shoot them behind the front and they go down quickly.

55 Horn w/c, 60 Horn sp, 63 Sierra, 55 and 60 NSB all work quite well. As does Factory 55 grain Federals.

On neck shots, I'd take one at very close range if I had to but other than that I can't think of one single reason for me to take a neck shot on a bruin. And for certain not at longer ranges.

But, that's just the way I fly....

Dober

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
According to Phil Shoemaker back in the woods Alaskans kill all types of critters with the 223. I'd bet that Bears have been brought down by 22LR. Personally, I'll bring a 30/06.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my uncle , lived in norther Maine, he killed over a dozen black bears, over 30 years in Maine and Canada and he used a 45/70 marlin loaded with 405 grain soft point ammo. he told us many times that the 45/70 marlin in the hands of a cool headed hunter was damn near perfect.
he laughed at the idea of using a 30/30, said it killed, but it didn,t seem to get their attention,the way a 45/70 did and he didn,t want some pissed off bear coming over to discuss his marksmanship at skinning knife ranges.
Im just suggesting a 22 center fires not ideal for the task

Last edited by 340mag; 11/19/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't had my diet dew and oj yet this morning but on earth does that have to do with the price of rice and or the OP's Q?

Dober

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's interesting that no one has commented on how many have been wounded and lost when shot with a .22 cal.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Likely because none have. I'm certain much is a mystery to you and just because you can't chew gum and walk, don't assume no one can.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I used to work with this old, crusty engineer-type. He was kind of my first professional mentor in that way. He worked on the survey crew for the original Al-Can Hwy back in the 40's.

He told me he took out a problem bear (grizz) with a .22 LR. Said he cut hole in the side of a tent and dangled a strip of bacon off a stick on the outside. Shot the bear thru the earhole for a DRT kill. Never had any reason to not believe him. He grew up at the Kennicott mine and his dad was a mining engineer there.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (AKislander, 300_savage, Anaconda, 69sportfury, 8 invisible), 1,552 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,574
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.