Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have an old Gerber Folding Hunter Knife. From what I can tell, this was made between 1968-1974. This knife is the HS (High Speed) steel with Hand Checkered walnut scales. I also have the sheath, original box, and the fold-out instructions that came in the box. The knife does not appear to have been sharpened or even used much.

Can anyone give me an assessment of what this knife is worth if I were to sell it?

thnx

[Linked Image]

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
some years back these jumped to around 300.00 but at present i'm not informed. i believe this model was in m2 steel & the japanese collectors have usually been the highest bidders on older gerbers.--cranky72

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Prices peeked with the Japanese economy several (10) years ago. Ebay is probably the where most end up now. I have collected Gerber knives for many years and would love to trade you out of it !!

See what's available at my website. Thanks

http://aablades.blademakers.com/

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.

Theodore Roosevelt
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
There is one like it, on ebay now for $585...although, there are no bids on it. I wish I had one to trade to AAblades...nice stuff!

Larry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have seen these sell recently from $135-$185(max) in near mint condition without box. I'd say this is a fairly decent assessment of real world values, IME.

The old gerbers are a hot commodity right now. And yes, the Japs buy the heck out of them. Vintage Kershaws too.

Presentation grade Gerber fixed blades are REALLY HOT right now. One nearly identical to this (one size smaller) just sold for $303 shipped on the 'bay.

This is a first year production 475 Presentation Grade. VERY hard to find knife.......

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice

Theodore Roosevelt
setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks to all who helped me out here...appreciate it!

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have several of the Bi-Centenial knives, including the FSIIs and the Pauls. Plus some of the FSIIIs, factory engraved and with agate handle inserts and such.

Prolly sell them one day and pay for more Catholic grade schoolers' educations. Same with my Herrons.

But prolly not yet.

I used to wear six Case double-folders, each of rusty steel, three on each side of my pack straps. The most elk I ever gutted, skinned quartered and hung in one trip down in Hell's canyon was TWELVE ... I used up my last "sharp blade" on that final cow.

My six Case knives have dressed an untold number of elk. Those I will give away, one at a time, to worthy friends. Each has a scabbard I handmade, as well. Hopefully, my friends will cherish them.

God Bless,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Steve ole buddy, when you start givin' the Herrons away, be sure to remember I want to be at the front of the line. smile You have one of the nicest collections I've seen and I know you'd trade 'em all for another day with the man himself. Honestly, I can't imagine ever using a case again if I had one of George's.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by mtnman1
Steve ole buddy, when you start givin' the Herrons away, be sure to remember I want to be at the front of the line. smile You have one of the nicest collections I've seen and I know you'd trade 'em all for another day with the man himself. Honestly, I can't imagine ever using a case again if I had one of George's.

My friend,

I met George Herron at one of the first VHA Jamborees, in Pierre. He'd read all my stuff and I loved his knives (but didn't want to wait the twelve years). He'd made maybe twenty extra knives and brought them along, so he could sell them and write off his prairie dog hunting expedition out west.

Shoot, we met, shook hands, talked about killing stuff and I bought a $300 knife off of him, right there on Pierre Street. Over the course of the next four or five days, I bought about one Herron knife a day.

NOPE, you got it right, I never used one of my Cases again.

Honestly, a single Herron Number Two can do an amazing number of critters before having to be sharpened. One year, I gutted, skinned and boned one northern whitetail (Alberta), four mule deer bucks, two bull elk, a Canada moose and a six Montana antelope. And the Herron was still hair-shaving sharp at the end of those fourteen or fifteen animals. Amazing.

At best, one of my Case blades was good for one elk. So, a double-folder gave me two elk.

Apparently, I thought I was gonna live forever. I bought a Number Two and loved it above any other knife. So, I bought a second one, just as a backup. And a third one. All are selected, gorgeous, desert ironwood. One, the first, I've used on a bunch of critters. The other two sit unused and gorgeous.

Not wasted, though. They cost me $300 to $350 each and will probably sell for a cool $2,000 each. Hey, it will pay for educating a few worthy Catholic kinds. And that's a good thing.

God Bless,

Steve

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dogzapper

I have several of the Bi-Centenial knives, including the FSIIs and the Pauls. Plus some of the FSIIIs, factory engraved and with agate handle inserts and such.

Prolly sell them one day and pay for more Catholic grade schoolers' educations. Same with my Herrons.

But prolly not yet.

I used to wear six Case double-folders, each of rusty steel, three on each side of my pack straps. The most elk I ever gutted, skinned quartered and hung in one trip down in Hell's canyon was TWELVE ... I used up my last "sharp blade" on that final cow.

My six Case knives have dressed an untold number of elk. Those I will give away, one at a time, to worthy friends. Each has a scabbard I handmade, as well. Hopefully, my friends will cherish them.

God Bless,

Steve

Steve - How much are the Case double folders worth ? confused
I have three of them. One in mint condition ...never used and never sharpened.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well....to answer my own question
On GB the Case Folding Hunter goes for $50 -$100

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Hotload

Steve - How much are the Case double folders worth ? confused
I have three of them. One in mint condition ...never used and never sharpened.

Friend Hotload,

I truly do not know. My gut tells me that the non-stainless double folder in great condition should be worth $100.

Mine have gutted, skinned one heck of a lot of elk, bazinnions of deer and probably forty caribou, plus a few mooses. They are stained, worn back by sharpening and have been used totally with love.

That type of knife ... A FRICKIN' WARRIOR of a knife; those get given to beloved friends.

And, yeah, I will shed a very visible tear with each gift because it means that my time afield is literally over. And it is ... and that's OK ... I killed long and I killed much.

Now it is time for others to do what my aged body cannot do any longer.

[Linked Image]

Above is a photo of one of my well-used and much-enjoyed Case folders. I handmade the knife scabbard and it is everything a scabbard should be.

Yep, they'll go to friends ... with love.

God Bless,

Steve

setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by setch
I have an old Gerber Folding Hunter Knife. From what I can tell, this was made between 1968-1974. This knife is the HS (High Speed) steel with Hand Checkered walnut scales. I also have the sheath, original box, and the fold-out instructions that came in the box. The knife does not appear to have been sharpened or even used much.

Can anyone give me an assessment of what this knife is worth if I were to sell it?

thnx

[Linked Image]

Just to close the loop on this side of the thread....this knife sold for $430 on eBay...and yes, to a japanesse fellow. I was astounded, but happy as I can 'exchange' for a couple knives made by 'fire members...good deal in my book.

Thanks again

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Excellent price, congrats !!!!!!!!!!!!

Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WOW! That is astounding. I have seen several of these sell recently in the $135-$185 range. None with box. The HS teel models are harder to find and bring a higher price. Looks like you posted it at the right time. I'm tempted to put my 1st year Presentation Grade up for sale now.

Good for you.......

setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The buyer I had is apparently a collector of old Gerbers and told me that if I have others, to please let him know. If you want his contact information, I can try and get it...and minimally, if you post on eBay, I can email him and alert him to the auction....just let me know. thnx

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you have it, shoot me a PM.

Thanks

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you guys are into customs I'm always looking to trade my knives for your Old Gerbers. Contact me with what you have.

Theodore Roosevelt

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (AussieGunWriter, B52RadarNav, 44mc, 10Glocks, 35, 12 invisible), 1,385 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,251
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.