Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My father got in on the pre-war construction job on Kodiak Island for the Navy. Probably in 1940. He got a safety briefing about the Bears after he arrived. His recollection is that two guys borrowed a Navy 30/06 Springfield rifle and went out for Bear. After they shot their Bear it killed them both. He said no one hunted after that.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2 shots, 2 bears. 64 grain powerpoints out of a 22 250.

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This the 392 yard neck shot bear. It's what I call a rare opportunity and I made sure I didn't miss my chance. (Not the rifle I got it with)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Fireball2; 11/19/12.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Let's see what this guy can bring to the table...

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty bruin for sure. I still fail to see the reason or thought process behind taking a neck shot on a bruin @ 392 yds? Why didn't you just hit him behind the fronts or thru the shoulders I guess is my question?

IME the target of neck bone is awfully darn small on big game and there's a lot of neck territory that one won't find the quarry with a hit thru it. Especially on a bruin that isn't exactly well known for it's blood trails...

Not trying to bust balls but I sure don't track with your thought process.

Thoughts?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My brother inlaw shot one that had grabbed one of his goats by the throat and was trying to pull it thru a barb wire fence 12 ga 1 oz 6# in the neck from 10ft drt.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by 340mag
my uncle , lived in norther Maine, he killed over a dozen black bears, over 30 years in Maine and Canada and he used a 45/70 marlin loaded with 405 grain soft point ammo. he told us many times that the 45/70 marlin in the hands of a cool headed hunter was damn near perfect.
he laughed at the idea of using a 30/30, said it killed, but it didn,t seem to get their attention,the way a 45/70 did and he didn,t want some pissed off bear coming over to discuss his marksmanship at skinning knife ranges.
Im just suggesting a 22 center fires not ideal for the task

I agree.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Likely because none have. I'm certain much is a mystery to you and just because you can't chew gum and walk, don't assume no one can.

I know of deer that were lost to those and larger calibers seems odd to me that bear which in my experience are tougher than deer would not be lost to the pea shooters too

Last edited by Adirondackbushwhack; 11/20/12.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Adirondackbushwhack
Likely because none have. I'm certain much is a mystery to you and just because you can't chew gum and walk, don't assume no one can.

I know of deer that were lost to those and larger calibers seems odd to me that bear which in my experience are tougher than deer would not be lost to the pea shooters too

So you are calling the above posters liars? I know deer lost to larger calibers also, I don't know of deer lost to 22CF's.

Bear ain't any tougher, only more fluff.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So because:

- A guy took a admittedly poor shot at a bear at close range and wounded it using an addmittedly likely piss poor choice of bullet in a .22 CF.

- Another guy's uncle hunted a lot of bears, and he thought the .45-70 405 soft point was the only thing suitable to the task.

- Two unknown guys borrowed a 1903 Springfield from the Navy, and using God knows what for bullets(Hmmm military FMJ?...) then proceeded to get killed by a KODIAK BROWN BEAR.

- Other folks have seen, know of, or have wounded DEER using .22 CFs

then using good bullets, and taking reasonable shots you should not hunt BLACK BEAR using a .22 CF correct?

I just wanted to make sure I was clear on why not to do it.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
So because:

- A guy took a admittedly poor shot at a bear at close range and wounded it using an addmittedly likely piss poor choice of bullet in a .22 CF.

- Another guy's uncle hunted a lot of bears, and he thought the .45-70 405 soft point was the only thing suitable to the task.

- Two unknown guys borrowed a 1903 Springfield from the Navy, and using God knows what for bullets(Hmmm military FMJ?...) then proceeded to get killed by a KODIAK BROWN BEAR.

then using good bullets, and taking reasonable shots you should not hunt BLACK BEAR using a .22 CF correct?

Yes.

Hearsay and BS trump actual field experience everytime wink

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Fireball2
This the 392 yard neck shot bear. It's what I call a rare opportunity and I made sure I didn't miss my chance. (Not the rifle I got it with)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What size groups on average did that rifle consistently shoot at 400 yards?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Jericho
I have always heard that black bears arent hard to kill, just
hard to find.

Interesting thread, but I worry about the bravado that's going to be reinforced here. I wouldn't recommend shooting a bear with a 22. For the record, I used the 22 centerfires quite a bit early on in my hunting with good success on deer, but I did lose a bear to a 223. Shot was about 20 feet, to the neck to ensure a drop, but must have just grazed him. He was sick and hung around in the brush closeby, but as it was getting dark I flushed him out and he made away. All signs erased by overnight rain. Really bad judgement on my part to try it. I guess I just don't want to wound a bear like that and don't want to feel bad for using too little gun. You can do it, and it will work sometimes, but me personally I wouldn't go out in the woods singing about how well equipped I was. If I'd had more gun, I would not have taken a neck shot, but a body shot and would have had the bear. Get my thinking?

Neck shot like you did with a 460 wtby mag would have had the same results. If you miss the target, you miss the target....

RE not shooting body... I've shot a LOT of pigs with 22LR in a MK2 pistol and even MK1. CCI mini mag HPs. Even with hogs up to about 150 or so pounds and on out there around 40-50 yards, its much safer to dump an HP in their lungs and let em die, than try to make a perfect shot in the ear or back of head with a mini mag solid.

As long as you stay off major bone structure, most animals around these days, simply don't take much penetration to get through ribs and into vitals...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Adirondackbushwhack

So you are calling the above posters liars? I know deer lost to larger calibers also, I don't know of deer lost to 22CF's.

Bear ain't any tougher, only more fluff.

Nope not liars as they are reporting on their own experience which does not encompass ALL shot bear. Simply pointing out that a relative few shot bear doesn't prove that pea shooters will not give up lost game from time to time.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
So because:

Good post. Being that I"ve seen deer lost with 300 wtbys. And seen a buck shot with 06 in both lungs, live to be shot in the neck 3 weeks later... double lung having healed up...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I called in and killed a small, but plump, black bear with a 22-250 this fall. Shot about 40 yards, 60 grain hornady sp. I never have a hot chamber, except when sitting down calling. This bear shows up, around a blind corner about 15 feet away, so my reaction is to chamber a shell. I think I saw the live round fling out into the bushes in slow motion, as the bear turned to run away. grin I ran around the corner after it, and stopped it with a squeak, I let the 22-250 take it from there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nope not liars as they are reporting on their own experience which does not encompass ALL shot bear. Simply pointing out that a relative few shot bear doesn't prove that pea shooters will not give up lost game from time to time.

In most situations that pertain to the conversation at hand game lost is lost to bad shots whether poor marksmanship or simply taking poorly chosen shots... and to a far lesser extent to poor choices in bullet for the task at hand.

That is not simply limited to shooting .22 CFs.

For the most part(barring rediculous comparisons like elephant, rhino, grizzly, etc.) regardless of bore size if you pick the right bullet, and the right shot placement the end result is meat on the ground.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
So because:

Yes.

Hearsay and BS trump actual field experience everytime wink

Back in the day, a long time ago now, I hunted with a lever 30-30. At that time I was convinced that it was an ideal hunting rifle and was perfect and not just adequate for the job. All of my experience such as it was at the time with that rifle was positive and I had never lost shot game with it right up to the day I lost my first shot deer with it.

I blamed everything but the caliber for that lost deer and happily had unwavering faith in the tried and true 30-30. That is until I gained more experience and lost more deer hit with that rifle. ( I always shoot center line just behind the shoulder)

I can't help but think that the same type of thing will be true for those who shoot bear or deer with a 22 cal. That is especially true because I've hunted with folks who lost deer shot with 22 cal and larger. They blamed everything but the caliber.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
A fellow that I knew in the late 60s killed more than one Black Bear (maybe several, I'm only sure of 2) with a S&W Model 53 Jet. This was during the Spring Bear seasons near Missoula. If any got away, I'm not aware of it. One was made into a beautiful rug that was displayed at a LGS.

I used to reload Jet rounds for him. This was before any of us had Chronys, and we thought that Jets were barn burners.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Pretty bruin for sure. I still fail to see the reason or thought process behind taking a neck shot on a bruin @ 392 yds? Why didn't you just hit him behind the fronts or thru the shoulders I guess is my question?

IME the target of neck bone is awfully darn small on big game and there's a lot of neck territory that one won't find the quarry with a hit thru it. Especially on a bruin that isn't exactly well known for it's blood trails...

Not trying to bust balls but I sure don't track with your thought process.

Thoughts?

Dober

No offense, not trying to bust balls, but ask the bear... Oh wait, he's dead.

LOL
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,780
Posts18,495,926
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.