Print Thread
Hop To
S
stantdm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I recently got these as part of a trade. The scope, as those of you familiar with the vitage B&L scopes know, has no adjustments. Its done with the mount. I like the scope quite a bit but am going to have to buy a different mount as the one that came with it came from a pre-64 Model 70 and I don't have one of those drilled to this pattern. Anyway, anybody use one before and what did you think of the scope and the mounting system? Thanks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by stantdm; 11/19/12.
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That's a Kuharsky Brothers base and ring set. They have been discontinued for some time, so look on eBay and go to the gun shows. You might put a WTB in the classifieds here too.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
S
stantdm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by timbo762
That's a Kuharsky Brothers base and ring set. They have been discontinued for some time, so look on eBay and go to the gun shows. You might put a WTB in the classifieds here too.

Thanks. That is a good suggestion. Do you know if Kuharsky made the mounts that are marked Bausch and Lomb?

I also found an internet company selling original mounts in New York. I was curious about these systems and how the process of sighting the scope is with the windage and elevation on the mount. Its something I thought would be interesting for a period rifle with the Balvar scope.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have one of those scopes and three sets of mounts. I haven't mounted it on anything yet so I can't say how well it works. What mounts are you looking for? Maybe we can trade?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by stantdm
Originally Posted by timbo762

Thanks. That is a good suggestion. Do you know if Kuharsky made the mounts that are marked Bausch and Lomb?

I also found an internet company selling original mounts in New York. I was curious about these systems and how the process of sighting the scope is with the windage and elevation on the mount. Its something I thought would be interesting for a period rifle with the Balvar scope.
Bausch & Lomb had their own system, and while similar are not interchangeable as I remember. They both work on the same principle. The base acts as two adjustable V-blocks, and the scope is held against them by spring pressure. In theory, this allowed the same scope to be used on a number of rifles, since the adjustment was in the base. It was a big selling point for Bausch & Lomb, since their scopes were expensive compared to most others. By the time I could afford one, the were obsolete.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a Balvar and mts for a FN Sako still on the gun. it only took a few shots to change the zero to where I wanted it. one is for elev the other for windage. easy enuf. You want to buy another? we can work out a price ,send me a pm. Magnum Man

S
stantdm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Marc
I have one of those scopes and three sets of mounts. I haven't mounted it on anything yet so I can't say how well it works. What mounts are you looking for? Maybe we can trade?

They list a mount for the No. 1 Ruger and the early M77 ruger. Those are the two that I would trade for with preference to the No. 1.

The one I have is for a pre-64 model 70 standard (not a magnum).

S
stantdm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
I have a Balvar and mts for a FN Sako still on the gun. it only took a few shots to change the zero to where I wanted it. one is for elev the other for windage. easy enuf. You want to buy another? we can work out a price ,send me a pm. Magnum Man

Thanks, but one is enough. smile I appreciate your offer and the comment about zeroing it in.

S
stantdm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks Timbo, I had assumbed the Kuharsky mounts were the same as the B&L ones. Mine is the one that uses the long locking "spring" with the star wheel. I read a bit about the V block system in some post about the mounts.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't have any Ruger mounts. I have a Weatherby Mk V, a Remington 721 and a Mauser mount, which I am going to use.

IC B3

S
stantdm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Marc
I don't have any Ruger mounts. I have a Weatherby Mk V, a Remington 721 and a Mauser mount, which I am going to use.

Thanks for letting me know. I will go ahead and order a Ruger mount from Gibbs.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by stantdm
Thanks Timbo, I had assumbed the Kuharsky mounts were the same as the B&L ones. Mine is the one that uses the long locking "spring" with the star wheel. I read a bit about the V block system in some post about the mounts.
Then yours is an original Bausch & Lomb base and rings. The Kuharsky's had spring loaded plungers. Sorry, I couldn't see the star wheel in the photo, and now that I think about it the Kuharsky had different rings also. As I get older, accessing my memory bank get's more difficult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back in their day, the B&L scopes were the "Rolls Royce" of American made scopes!

"Not a Gun Free Zone"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (358wsm, Anaconda, 10Glocks, 907brass, Algotguns, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 848 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,928
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.