Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I am just starting the process of trying to put together my first trip to Africa for a plains game hunt, more than likely RSA or Namibia.

Ideally I would like to hunt kudu, oryx, and impala, in that order.

I will be traveling from the US and shipping back to there; I do work for an international shipping company so I will hopefully be able to save some cost on freight.

All in, I'm estimating somewhere around $8k for a five day safari. Is this realistic, as well as allocating only five days for those species? I am not interested in a canned hunt, but rather as fair chase as possible.

Thanks,
Timeoff2fish

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
1. Air fare provided you're traveling from the U.S.A. to RSA from $1,500 to $2,000.

2. Taxidermy $2,000.

3. Kudu $1,200.

4. Oryx $1,200.

5. Impala $350.

6. Shipping of trophies $1,400.

7. Daily rates of $300 X 5 = $1,500

Total around $9,650

That said, I've been to RSA 3 times; once for 2 weeks and twice for 3 weeks, shot a lot more stuff (twenty some animals on my recent trip that included the ones you want) and didn't pay more than that. You will have people coming out of the woodwork with the "best" deals since sliced bread so if you shop it, I think you can come in $2,000 or $3,000 less than your $8,000 budget. Some of the prices such a taxidermy, shipping and air fare are fixed but many times you can get package deals that include the animals you want and even more.

[Linked Image]

A cull Kudu but it's big enough for me. Taken with an Encore handgun in 444 Marlin. The 265 grain Hornady FTX bullet went through both shoulders.

[Linked Image]

A Gemsbok taken with a Blaser R 93 in 300 Weatherby Magnum.

[Linked Image]

An Impala.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Start at $10K. Modify from there.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by hatari
Start at $10K. Modify from there.

Yep, and for that price plan on staying twice as long and shooting twice as many critters. Its a loooooooooooong way to go for a five day, three animal hunt.....

Im a BIG fan of Namibia...as someone else said, shop it...be considerably more careful shopping RSA...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I would go to Limpopo Province in RSA. For one thing, the outfitter will pick you up at the Johannesburg airport and drive to the hunting area. Saves an overnight in J-burg and two extra airplane flights. I went with Amanita Safaris (contact is Eric Terblanche) on the Botswana border. Couldn't have had a better trip. But the next two times i went to Zim to shoot dangerous game.

I would go for at least 8 days of hunting. An extra day only costa about $300 (not counting trophy fees which you only pay if you shoot something). While there, you might as well get a zebra rug, a wildebeest, and some other stuff.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Nice going, Grumulkin.

In terms of traveling over such a long distance for a relatively short hunt, I am "somewhat" financially limited as this will be a present from my wife for my 40th birthday and I want to keep it reasonable. I also fly for a living (I'm sitting in the ATL crown room right now) so I am accustomed to traveling more than the average bear. I want the most bang for my available buck, however. I do see the point about staying a few extra days; most of the packages I've seen are for 5 days.

Thanks for the replies. A few questions:

Are those three species (kudu, gemsbok, impala) doable in a relatively short hunt?

Ingwe: I have heard that Namibia caters better to hunters than RSA, especially in regard to export. What other pitfalls are there concerning RSA? From what I've seen Namibia is a little cheaper.

IndyCA35: it looks like RSA is definitely easier together to. What other advantages does it have?

Everyone: from what I've read Zimbabwe seems to be more of a hassle than the other two. Does anyone have a different opinion?

I don't want to start a Ford v. Chevy argument here and get everyone all spooled up; I'm just looking for civil varying opinions.

Thanks again for the information.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Take a pointer from the others above and go for a 10 day safari.

Look your outfitters/PH over to find one to match your goals and add a few animals to your list and have fun...

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Try Blaauwkrantz Safaris in the Eastern Cape. My Wife and I have been their 3 times. They have some packages with your animals & a couple more at a reasonable rate. They are great people and will hunt how you want to hunt. You can do it for $8K pretty easily. Check out the website and contact them via E-mail with questions. You will have a great time and come away with new friends! They will be at Dallas-Houston and Vegas after the first of the year. If you can get to one of those shows you can speak to them in person (my preference).
Good Luck
Mark

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well, my 2 cents,,,like you I was limited on time and money. I hunted 5 days this past October (1-6) in RSA, eastern cape.
I only wanted 3 animals and was lucky enough to get them...Kudu, Impala, Springbok. cost was $4000 for that, (3 animals in 5 days) and my airfare was 2000 dollars. I am waiting on the taxidermy fees....so I don't have the complete total.

Have Gun, Will Travel. The more dust on the trail, the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA & VFW & Six Napoleons
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by timeoff2fish

Ingwe: I have heard that Namibia caters better to hunters than RSA, especially in regard to export. What other pitfalls are there concerning RSA? From what I've seen Namibia is a little cheaper.

Don't get me completely wrong because RSA has some outfits that are as good as the best, but they also have the rest of the spectrum.....Namibia has tight standards for PHs, the 'farms' are often larger, and I can honestly say I havent heard an honest complaint about anybody running hunters in Namibia. Just can't say the same of RSA. You will also note, as you are shopping some daily rates are cheaper than others, some trophy fees are cheaper than others....try to find the best 'balance'. Look at 'package' deals too, some real values in some of those....

Kudu, Gemsbok and Impala are doable on a short hunt....but if any of them are affected it will be Kudu. I killed my best Kudu on the first hour of the first day, and I was on another hunt where we didnt pull a trigger on a Kudu for the first 12 days...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ceck out Crosshairconsulting.com, Kei River Safari's in RSA
Cost is reasonable for hunt depending on animals.
Andrew is really great PH, lodge is good. Fair chase, hard hunting, excellent animals

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check with Karoo http://www.karoowildsafaris.co.za/

He's advertising a special for 2013 right now: http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/832100588/m/5621062181

$320/day 1X1 and $250/day 2X1, Cape Kudu $700, Gemsbok $700, Impala $240. I'm going with them next September

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Nice going, Grumulkin.

In terms of traveling over such a long distance for a relatively short hunt, I am "somewhat" financially limited as this will be a present from my wife for my 40th birthday and I want to keep it reasonable. I also fly for a living (I'm sitting in the ATL crown room right now) so I am accustomed to traveling more than the average bear. I want the most bang for my available buck, however. I do see the point about staying a few extra days; most of the packages I've seen are for 5 days.

Are those three species (kudu, gemsbok, impala) doable in a relatively short hunt?

IndyCA35: it looks like RSA is definitely easier together to. What other advantages does it have?

At least in the places I've hunted in RSA, Kudu, Gemsbok and Impala would be easily doable in 5 days but 10 days isn't going to cost that much more.

It used to be a bit more economical to hunt in Namibia but I don't believe so any longer. Actually, I think Namibia is a bit more expensive, there would probably be more legs on a trip to get there, they don't allow handguns, problems with taxidermy are probably more common there and I doubt very Namibia is any better on export since RSA is pretty easy as it is.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ingwe is high on Namibia because he's been there six times, five to the same property. It's a great place (or was, since as I understand it isn't hunted anymore), and my wife and I had a fine 10-day hunt there with him in 1999. But he's never been to South Africa, and there's some equally fine hunting there.

A lot depends on if you really want a quickie trip for three animals. If so, South Africa is the place to go. That doesn't mean, however, that all South African hunts are equal. And a 5-day safari would be pretty miserable in other ways. You're usually not really over jet lag for a couple of days, which leaves three days to have a good experience.

I've hunted in several different areas across RSA for up to a month at a time. A week is better than 5 days and 10 days much better, especially if you really want to experience Africa and not just put some heads on the wall. I'd especially book more than five days if you want something more than ordinary trophies of all three species. Kudu are supposed to be the hardest trophy to come by (and can be) but I went to Africa three times before taking an outstanding gemsbok, and four times before taking a really good impala--though it depends very much on where you hunt.

If skull mounts are acceptable you also don't have to spend a lot of money on taxidermy. Most heads come back from Africa ready to put the skulls on the wall. If you insist on shoulder mounts that raises the price considerably, whether done over there or here.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by TexasMark
Try Blaauwkrantz Safaris in the Eastern Cape. My Wife and I have been their 3 times. They have some packages with your animals & a couple more at a reasonable rate. They are great people and will hunt how you want to hunt. You can do it for $8K pretty easily. Check out the website and contact them via E-mail with questions. You will have a great time and come away with new friends! They will be at Dallas-Houston and Vegas after the first of the year. If you can get to one of those shows you can speak to them in person (my preference).
Good Luck
Mark

I would recommend Blaaukrantz as well (they are one of the most reputable outfits in Africa) and they are doing some very agressive pricing on various packages as well. Arthur and his family are great people. Zani(his daughter) is very businesslike in arranging prices/packages etc.

But you will be hunting Eastern Cape Kudu, which don't have the horn size of the Southern Greater of the Limpopo/Namibia etc but have far more attractive capes so be aware of that. One of my favourite trophies in my own home is a kudu bull taken with Blaaukrantz..............

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
We went to Namibia in June. We purchased a package 8 day hunt, paid for an 8 day hunt, and got to hunt 6. The Good Lord willing, we will go back to Africa. I plan on 10 hunting days next time, with a day on each end for travel to and from the airport, settling in, checking zero on rifles and bows, shopping, recovery, etc. The owner told me one night in reference to another issue, in Africa never pay in advance. I went with a local booking agent so that I could have some recourse if things did not go well or we did not get what we were promised. Once my trophies arrive here, I plan to have a visit with the booking agent. I suggest you do a lot of research on the owner and the ph assigned. We have great memories even though we did not get what was promised and purchased, plan on a great trip.

It’s all about Leadership.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Only been once so I am far from an expert...but I would also suggest 10 days. Pick out your minimum animals and the cost, then double it. You will come across other animals and opportunities. This is what I did and it worked well. Its a long long way to go and not do it right. Total cost with airfare, hunt, animals, and taxidermy. $10k to $15k. Less if you skip some taxidermy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes the horns are smaller but the mane down the neck on mine is 9" long down the chest and 6" down the neck. It is a striking mount and was a beautiful animal alive.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by B_n_C_Buck
Only been once so I am far from an expert...but I would also suggest 10 days. Pick out your minimum animals and the cost, then double it. You will come across other animals and opportunities. This is what I did and it worked well. Its a long long way to go and not do it right.

I too have only been once, and I agree with these sentiments entirely.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice going, Grumulkin.

Everyone: from what I've read Zimbabwe seems to be more of a hassle than the other two. Does anyone have a different opinion?

I don't want to start a Ford v. Chevy argument here and get everyone all spooled up; I'm just looking for civil varying opinions.

Thanks again for the information.

My PG hunt was a 40th birthday gift from my wife as well. $10k is a good starting figure, but you can do it for less. If you can live without the shoulder mounts, you'll save a ton. Shoulder mounts are nice, but they and the associated shipping do drive up the price of things -- and those expenses aren't realized until a year or so down the road (the gift that keeps on giving). My 4 animal package was about $5k in Namibia (all inclusive with top-shelf accommodations), but I wound up shooting more animals a la carte. Take extra money for that, unless you have more will power than me.

In Namibia, I'd estimate that you're looking at $4,500-6,500 just to get there, hunt 3-4 animals, eat, and sleep. Tips, gear (if you need it), gifts for the family, taxidermy and the dreaded shipping, and it adds up quick. Best money I ever spent though.

Chris
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 300_savage, 17Fan, 32 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,078
Posts18,501,585
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.