-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I started another post earlier about refinishing another stock & it got me thinking that this would be as good a place as any to show some of the carvings I've done as well. Just a little side hobby to blow more time playing with guns but it keeps my mind & hands busy so all is well.

Tinkering around on a take-off Ruger 10/22 stock.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Another 10/22 take-off stock. This one was a practice run for a .410 I did for a friend for his grandson.

Another 10/22 take-off. Just goofing off & playing with designs.

A Mini-14 stock for one of the young guys on the fire dept with me.

A take-off Savage 110 stock. Just playing around with a pattern & seeing how well it would work on a synthetic stock. MUCH rather work with wood as the plastic is a pain to cut.

This one was a nearly destroyed Rem 700 stock. I picked it up on Ebay to refinish for a rifle I was repairing & refinishing as a project gun. It looked like somebody had been hitting rocks with it when I got it. Ironed out all of the dings & had to do a little reshaping & make the grip cap but after all was done it looked better than I had ever hoped.

Like I said, just something else to do to keep me busy during bad weather & down time. Always been a gun nut & anything I can do to get to play around a little more is a plus. Hope you enjoy!

beati pacifici quoniam filii Dei vocabuntur Matthew 5:9
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Dang! I envy people with talent... Makes me feel inadequate...

Sir you have a gift; Make the most of it..

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Are you doing that with a high speed hand piece?

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very Nice.

Yup.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very, very nice! For just being a hobby, maybe you shoulkd start a little side business. I know I would be interested!

If it looks good, you'll see it
If it sounds good, you'll hear it
If it's marketed right, you'll buy it
But...If it's real, you'll feel it
Kid Rock
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks. Don't reckon it's good enough to quit my day job though. Just something to do. I've done a few on take-off stocks I had laying around & either sold them to a buddy or hocked them on Ebay. Most of the work is done with some small carving hand tools inhereted from my grandfather & some of the other & larger areas with a Dremel with a flex extension. Not a great deal of a market for it in my local area & by pricing I see online that others do I can see why. Most of the carvers I've looked at START AT $300-$350 for a pretty basic design like the deer & elk heads. It'd be nice to get that but without a big name or a healthy reputation I'll just stick to low budget jobs for a buddy & tinkering with myown stuff. Flattered though....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well then I think we need to start talking to become buddies! Seriously would you have any interest in doing a black bear on a remington 721 stock? Something similar to the rabbit, but not quite as big. I would definitely be interested. It wouldn't be for a little while as I'm scrounging money now to send it out and get it rebored into a 35 whelen.

Kid Rock
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The carving on the 22 stocks looks great and adds something special to an otherwise un interesting piece of wood. It is hard to make a birch stock look good. I was enjoying looking at your work until I saw the grip cap on the last rifle. I always like smooth flowing lines and complementary colors. The grip cap addition kind of left me cold. I do realize you are showcasing your carving work and not the grip cap, it's just kind of hard to miss. The carving looks like a hobby that may pay for itself and then some.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
There is a book out by Jose Valencia, " Carving Gunstocks" Power Techniques that gives some good tips.It's available thru Schiffer books.

www.schifferbooks.com

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/23/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
348srfun - Agreed in stock contours & styling. Due to reflection on the cap it appears much lighter than it actually was on the stock but it was a stark contrast. It could & probably should have been a bit darker. I actually ended up selling that stock & the guy that bought it said he loved it & the cap was really what caught his eye. I had planned to go back & restain it darker had I kept it.

saddlesore - Thanks for the link. I have a few stock carving & general wood carving books on hand & all are a little different & get a fair amount of studying so I will definitely give it a look. Always looking for something new & different.

Bearschlayerx2 - I'm more of a wheeler & dealer than anything. Cash is nice but I know everyone is tight on holdings right now. I'll PM you later & we'll see what we can work out on some kind of trade or something.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Got your pm. I'll try to take a couple minutes in the next day or 2 and get it out and take a couple measurements and a couple pictures and see what we can come up with. I appreciate you getting back to me, and I am definitely interested in having you do somethin for me. Thanks again, Don

Kid Rock

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 51 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,102
Posts18,522,319
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.