Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#7117190 11/27/12
J
jnoel Offline OP
OP Offline
J
does anyone use hammocks for there hunts in high country during the fall or winter? if so what kind of setup do you use?

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What high country? Hammocks suck in the winter. I see a hammock as viable down to about 20F. Below that temp, you start adding weight in the form of ever larger tarps (to keep the wind off) and 4in thick down underquilts (to keep from dying from hypothermia). Obviously trees ain't optional.

I've hiked and hammocked hundreds of miles in the southern Appalachians. I LOVE hammocks and my Hennessy Hyperlight will continue to be my shelter of choice, as long as it is warm enough (above 20F). I often eat a cold breakfast (granola and powdered milk) ensconced in my hammock and quickly break camp on cold mornings and walk myself warm, then stop and brew coffee. Setting up in the evening is a 5-7min affair from the time I pick two trees until I'm sitting on the hammock, under a tarp, and lighting the alky burner. I'm never cold when I'm doing this 'cause I'm walking. Your style of hunting, depending on climate and terrain, my not allow for this.

Another issue, is tying up mostly a grand in a specialized shelter system, it's a lot like ditching the backpacking tent and buying a tipi and stove. Make sure you'll get to use it enough to make it worth it.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 11/27/12. Reason: spellin'
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll second what TAK said. I have a pretty good setup with a Clark, and Blackbird with an under quilt from Jacks R Better. I decided on my last hang (two weeks ago on the AT) that I was opting to go back to tents, Hilleberg Soulo, and my beloved Exped Downmat. I like enclosing the dog in with me, and I like to turn when I sleep...back, side, belly. This is difficult in a hammock.
Over on the hammock forums there are many devotees, with lots of good advice.
Don

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love my TTT Switchback for temps above 30 or so. It's made for taller guys (I'm 6'3") and for people who toss and turn which I do constantly.

Cold weather, timberline, etc I'd take a tent every time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've done my share of hardcore high-country hunts...I can't even imagine the back pain of sleeping in one of these...
Dmn....

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trees in Idaho's high country close enough together to hang a hammock can be darn hard to find .

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by broomd
I've done my share of hardcore high-country hunts...I can't even imagine the back pain of sleeping in one of these...
D@mn....

The biggest advantage of using a hammock is comfort. They're waaaaaaay more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. Other advantages are not needing level or cleared ground, they're easier in the rain, and they go up and take down really fast.

Disadvantages are you need trees, and they're colder than a tent so you need specialized gear to sleep warm in cold weather.

G
gwl Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I used one on a motorcycle trip. It seemed nice but on the last night out I did not have any trees to tie of to so I slept on the ground. I slept so much better that night. I am not sold on them. I felt too confined.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gwl
I used one on a motorcycle trip. It seemed nice but on the last night out I did not have any trees to tie of to so I slept on the ground. I slept so much better that night. I am not sold on them. I felt too confined.

What kind of hammock, and how big are you?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by broomd
D@mn....

Actually, they are unbelievably easy on the back. In fact, most will say a properly rigged hammock is easier on the joints, the back, and much more comfortable than a bed. I can attest to being surprised, waking up not stiffened up like most mornings, after nigts spent in a hammock. I hang in the backyard often during warmer months.

As a matter of fact, some with back problems (or not) rig their hammocks in their bedrooms and get rid of their beds. There are no pressure points in a hammock like in a bed. Your weight is pretty much distributed evenly which avoids those pressure points that often cause that morning stiffness/back pain/sore joints.

Not to mention, you can have some great summer naps in the backyard or in the woods on scouting trips or day hikes!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I went to a Hennessey Hammock years ago for the bush. Light easy, much more comfortable than sleeping on teh ground.
You need a thermarest or similiar just like sleeping on the ground because the cold comes up from the bottom, but thats okay. You throw the sleeping pad and bag into the hammock, climb in and then sort it out.
I have slept on 45 degree slopes. I actually slept strung up over a creek one time. (I didnt do much sleeping though, the noise of water underneath me kept me awake all night...)
You dont need to scout for a flat area and if its raining you put up your flysheet first and set the hammock underneath so nothing gets wet.
I carry a extra large flysheet because the one that comes with the hammock itself is too small - if its bad weather I double tarp it and put them both up.
They really are a boon to the back pack hunter, set up camp wherever you end up. Easy.
If you hunt mostly open country obviously its not going to be suitable for your hunting.
As for sleeping in it, you dont have to lie in it like a big U. You can lie in it on your side and a little bit crossways and its pretty flattish. The newer models are specifically designed for that once they realised thats how people were using them - they call it the Asymetrical model.(And they added a slip in thing underneath where your sleeping matt goes.)

As for in winter, I have used it, but the winters here are not hard as in NOrth America by far, but I have no trouble at 0deg Celsius for example.

Last edited by CarlsenHighway; 12/22/12.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
T
T
Love my Blackbird Hammock, Super Fly, and Hammock Gear Incubator. Most comfortable nights slept outdoors as a mid-40's guy in years. Been comfortable in the 20's. Set your tarp up right (bigger tarp more protection from Wind - I also have a smaller Hennessey tarp) and with a good underquilt and stay nice and warm. I also slept comfortably in the 40's before I had the undertarp with a Wal-Mart blue foam sleep pad in the sandwiched double bottom layer on my Blackbird hammock. Try it and you won't be sorry. The right campsite can be a little tricky with good trees. Also have to pay attention to not have a widow maker dead limb above. Sometimes a tent will still make more sense, but given the choice, I'm going to grab the hammock every time terrain allows.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 14,986 guests, and 1,401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,330
Posts18,546,046
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.