"Took what looks like to be one of those European Deer this AM."
Nice Buck!
Maybe it's an import?

GB1

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I was just in DuBois over the weekend, my wife grew up there and I grew up just north in Elk county. When Pittsburghers ask me where I from, I tell them 'deer camp country'. My brother posted a pic of a decent 8 pt he took this morning in Elk Co. Not a trophy, but not a bad year for him since he bagged a 5x5 elk in MT about a month ago.

Last edited by JSCinNC; 11/27/12.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice deer glad some were successful.

Gary

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Cool thing was that not long before he showed up I used a Doe bleat call. When I saw him he was looking right at me. When he looked away I got the Binos on him to count points. Then he walked closer and would just stop and look. Moved across the hillside and stopped and looked down. Finally he just moved on down all the while looking for ?. He was rutted up something good by the smell. I think there is a good chance the call brought him in.

Another fellow on the same piece took a really nice high and even 8 with about an 18in spread. Should have taken a pic but let it slip.

Last edited by battue; 11/27/12.

laissez les bons temps rouler
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by setch
Originally Posted by Dale K
We'll head back to DuBois for Saturday.
Dale

Dale K...where in the DuBois area do you all hunt?

I'm over in Heath Township (above the pump station) just west of Brockway

Just south of DuBois off 219 near Salem. I've run the roads in the Heath Pump Station area but never hunted there. That's getting into some big country.

Dale

This space for rent

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by mikeymjr23
Originally Posted by Dale K
Buddy of mine bagged an 8 point (Savage 110 in 270 Win, Rem factory ammo) but the only pictures were taken with a film camera. I passed on a 200 yd shot at a running buck and my son saw 3 (one horned forkie and 2 legal ones) but couldn't get a shot at either of the legal ones. We all saw at least a dozen deer by noon except my Dad, he only saw 2 does.

We came home tonight since my son doesn't want to miss school, I'm going out local on Tuesday. We'll head back to DuBois for Saturday.

All in all, a pretty good day.

Dale

Where in that area? I lived in Punxsy for 2 years. Now I'm down maybe 45 minutes east of you. Are you in 5C down here?

Just south of DuBois, off 219 near Salem. I'm in 5B here in Lancaster. I used to live in Royersford until about 2.5 years ago. 45 minutes east of me would be Morgantown area?

I went to work today, rather than stumbling around unfamiliar woods in a snowstorm. Got Friday off so I'm planning to hit the Game Lands near Mt Gretna for a while.

Dale

This space for rent

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JSCinNC
I was just in DuBois over the weekend, my wife grew up there and I grew up just north in Elk county. When Pittsburghers ask me where I from, I tell them 'deer camp country'.

Yeah, deer camp country is a good description. I've got family and friends in DuBois and know some folks from St Marys. PM inbound.

Dale

This space for rent

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Not sure I know this fellow, my mother saw this photo on FB posted by a friend and she refers to her cousin Brian taking this buck in a place that is North of Brockway, PA where I grew up. Hope he doesn't mind me posting these pics here, but figured you'd enjoy them. He's getting it green scored this week.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Here's an active '2012 Success Pictures' thread I found on a PA hunting forum ... just trying to liven this thread up a bit. Was hoping to see more bucks posted! I see one of bigger deer was taken by a guy from Elk Co, which would not be far from where the one above was taken. I guess the good news is that there are big bucks being produced there, the downside is that most of the territory (mostly strip mine country/slashings) that I grew up exploring, riding dirt bikes, and hunting, is now all posted and restricted to folks who are leasing it for hunting.

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2864683&page=1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some nice bucks on that site. You can tell their Pa bucks because only 7-8 of the deer pictured are tagged. Grin

My brother shot a decent six point. But I'm still hunting.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
better enjoy it PA doe tag issue is out of control. Deer population down significantly. With 23 years on 48 acres i would see 40 deer by noon in n/e lycoming county. 2 days , not 1 deer spotted by 3 hunters. We has fresh snow falling and not one track anywhere. Maybe all the bear sign has something to do with it but the balance is way off. I sincerely hope they do something to get it fixed.

RIDE HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND DON'T LIE !!

Trying to get to the point in life where all I need is
BEER.....BEANS...and...AMMO
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
They gave us tags and we kept using them like it was a never ending resource.

Bears seemed to have increased and along with Coyotes I'm not sure they factored in what they would take. But once you get below a certain level it takes time for any rebound and redistribution.

Had a GW tell me about three years ago that they figured in the traditional Northern Deer range, the better than average hunter that could get around would still get their Deer. The rest? One Deer every four to five years.

Anyway, lets get some more pics up. That one above is great and looks like the edge of a Pa. yellow tag is showing.

Last edited by battue; 11/29/12.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
heres mine from tuesday...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice!!!! Congratulations.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
Nice!!!! Congratulations.

Thanks, appreciate it!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's my deer from the opening day. Shot with my savage 99C in 358 win, not the biggest rack but the biggest bodied buck I've shot in PA. He's pushing 160 and has a little grey around the muzzle, I don't think he was going to get much bigger in the way of horns. I'm hunting in western Warren county and can't say our deer numbers are down. They are not like in the 90's but this is the 4th buck in 5 years that I've shot that was 7 points or better, not as many deer but there are more mature bucks around.

http://[Linked Image][/img]

Going to try and fill my doe tag and feed the inlaws, good luck out there.

God Bless, MM

Last edited by mitchellmountain; 11/29/12.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teeder
My Son got a decent 8 pnt yesterday. I'll see if I can get a picture to load up.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

He's tagged out this year. A doe in the early season and now his best buck to-date.

Last edited by Teeder; 11/30/12. Reason: spelling correction
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Cool buck. Congrats!

Camp is where you make it.
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice. Give him a well done hug.

Interesting country in that pic. Clear cuts? Farm land? Low-land?

Last edited by battue; 11/30/12.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys! I'm very proud of him. The deer was coming at us at a hard quarter. We were upwind and I was worried he would wind us at any moment. The boy drilled him! It made it about 25 yards and dropped. Chalk up another one for the 7mm-08! grin

Interesting country in that pic. Clear cuts? Farm land? Low-land?

Low farmland. This picture is between a creek (to my back) and a selective logging from about 3 years ago (behind my Son).

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,513
Posts18,509,413
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.