Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
dubya Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So I've been on the lookout for either a 7wsm or 7 rem mag in either a Kimber Montana or Winchester Extreme Weather to use for deer in my new stand that overlooks a huge bean field and for when we go out for muley's in Colorado next year. I realize a lightweight rifle like a Montana isnt ideal for a bean field rifle but it'll also be lugged around and walked with a lot out in Colorado so i do want a lightweight gun, plus i am used to light rifles and shoot my other Montana's and EW just fine. I recently read a little about the 280 and im starting to get the bug! I also seen that Kimber had that new, suoer light Mountain Ascent that's chambered in 280 AI so i really think im going to start trying to get one. I know there aren't many, if any out there for sale so if i don't find one soon I'll probably have the LGS order one from Kimber. They're so far behind right now though when i was trying to find a Montana in 338 fed i looked for over 4 month's and finally had LGS call Kimber and they said 8-12 month's! Luckily a NIB one popped up on GB and i got it.
Anyway, what do you guys that have 280's think about them? Would you prefer one over a 7 mag? How's the recoil, what other cartridge would you compare it to? And lastly, i could use normal 280 ammo in the mountain ascent and it would "fireform" the brass so it could then be loaded as a 280 AI?

Thank you,
Cory

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A hot 280ai is a mild 7mag either one there's not a critter alive that will take one thru the lungs without getting pretty sick.

Yes you can shoot factory 280 to collect your fire formed brass.
If I don't go 338-06 with my CLR build I'll be going 280AI and you can give it a run when it gets back.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recently built a .280AI and couldn't be happier.

The way I see it is cheap donor brass, approaches 7 mag energies and velocities (isn't quite a 7 mag and never will be), recoil is reasonable, non belted brass equals one extra poke in the magazine.

Mine shoots 140's at 3300 fps and 162's over 3k via book loads which is all I can ask for.

Yep fireform .280 Rem for brass and never look back.

Here's mine just after it was built. The 20 MOA rail has since been replaced by a set of Talley one piece mounts.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MallardAddict; 11/28/12. Reason: Add pic
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had built a 280 AI a few years ago. and before that a 338-06 AI and the only thing that would be better than those 2 rifles would be a switch barrel set up. First thing, DO NOT buy a bunch of brass for the AI as the stuff just does not wear out. I own 4 prairie dog guns ... 2 223s and 2 22-250s. They will not out shoot my 280 AI and that is with 160 gr Accubonds. I never figured I would find a better shooting bullet that the 160 till I tried the 162 Vmax. The Accubonds shoot 3/8th " 3 shot groups all the time and unless I flinch all you get is an out of round hole with the Vmax. Recoil is not a problem at all, the gun is easy to shoot even off the bench. If I were to build another gun tomorrow it would be another 280 AI. Knowing that I complain about everything.... that is saying something.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
A couple years ago I built one on a pre 64 M70 action, fwt barrel and mcm edge stock. it shoots and handles great. I put up some nosler 280 AI brass and load it with 150 TTSX's @ 3050. It's been a great flat shooting round that hasn't needed the brass trimmed yet.Just like most calibers it's killed well.... My rifle weighs about 7 3/4 scoped which I feel is just right. I'd think twice about a flyweight though....
I have no regreats putting mine together.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love mine...

150's at over 3k..what is not to like.

Tony

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Did you win the lotto or something....buying up alot of nice rifles and I like your style! cool

Here's mine. "Needed" a 7mm of some sort and I too caught the 280 AI bug. I really dig the Kimbers and have eyed a few 84Ls with knockout wood, but I like the feel and weight of this bugger. My Kimbers hold the edge in the feel,fit/balance department over my others....but still can't make myself part with this one. Loves 140gr TSXs, 160 ABs, and 160gr Partitions..that'll bout cover anything for its intended purpose I reckon.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Im taking mine on an oryx hunt tomorrow. Mine shoots 140 ttsx's into itty bitty groups and has 2 elk under it's belt so far.
You will like it. No super caliber, not quite a 7mag, a little bigger than a standard 280. And in good bc. 284 bullets, that don't bounce off animals like a. 270.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Good luck Mark! Your phone will be jingling a lil later...haven't forgot about it! laugh

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by splattermatic
.... that don't bounce off animals like a. 270....

Before too long, impressionable young minds will believe this stuff... grin

The 280AI is another good way to start 130-140 gr bullets at 3100-3200 fps.With 150 gr bullets it's about 100 fps faster than a 270 Winchester with the same bullet weights.

For the heavy bullets of 160 gr and up,the 7 Rem mag is a slightly better mousetrap.

In other words, it's a good cartridge and suited for the same animals as a 270,280,7x57,7/08,7mm WSM, and 7 mag,and will kill lots of stuff.

To my mind this is a case of the rifle making the caliber....the Kimber 84L or Montana (like the 7mmWSM in the Montana)is a unique piece of gear among factory offerings, chambered in 280AI. Lightweight,near 7 mag performance, handsome and with great ergos,and M70-like in function.

If building on available actions,I'd rather have the additional case capacity of the 7 Rem mag over the 280AI.There will be no difference in action length,rifle weight,or barrel length,and the greater capacity of the 7 RM makes it more versatile with heavy bullets.

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/28/12.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
An argument can be made that the 7mm mag. is the more versatile round of the two. Hell just the fact that there can be an argument show's just how good the 280 AI can be. I have found the 280 AI to be as loader friendly as the .308. its just fun to load for.

Bob, the problem with the 7rem mag. is that, it's like our beloved .270 it is boringly good! And that is no fun. I'll keep playing with my AI as I am certain you will do with your Mashburn.

Randy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
rta if my blood were up for one of those 84L's, I'd buy it in 280AI..... smile

I get where you're coming from... wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I built a 280AI a couple of years ago and it was damn accurate. Shot 140 TTSX into little bitty holes. But new brass was expensive and fire forming brass was just one more thing to do. I got just over 3200 fps but always felt like I was pushing the envelope to get those speeds.

In the end I dumped the rifle and am back to my favorite .270. If I wanted to do a 280AI again I would go the 7mag route. However, your experience might be different and sometimes you just got to scratch the itch.

Andy

dubya Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by joshf303
Did you win the lotto or something....buying up alot of nice rifles and I like your style! cool

Not yet but if i dont soon I'm going to have to start going with a different style! Maybe a Remington 770 addiction. Ive actually just about finished off selling all my wood stocked rifles (mostly M70's and one Kimber ) in favor of the nice synthetics. I feel like ill get more use out of em than those purdy wood ones that sat in the safe because i didn't want to scratch em!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH
rta if my blood were up for one of those 84L's, I'd buy it in 280AI..... smile

I'm hoping to have one in hands next week, had to sell a loved one to fund it but I've been wanting a .280 for close to 20 years.

After I win the lotto tonight, I'll have the funds to really put it to use this coming year laugh

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am going deer hunting in some pretty big fields after I finish this coffee. I want a magnum for the longer shots ready. The magnum I have been bringing of late has been the Kimber Montana 7mm WSM however my Kimber 270 WSM will do about the same thing.

The Kimber weighs 7# 6oz with it's 3-9 Conquest which is less than what a M70 Featherweight goes! Also it's balance is more forward what with it's longer barrel.

I just handled those Kimbers and have one here beside me. I also just handled the old M70 that I used to use a lot. The Kimber action is really nice in those 8400's and their safety superior to the Win.

My suggestion is to search for a Kimber in 7mm WSM and if you don't find one by next summer to get one in 270 WSM.

I don't have any want for a 270 either but the calibers really overlap and that Kimber is really fine.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty rifle there josh.
Here's mine.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If I wanted a .280 Ackley Improved rifle, great cartridge by the way, I'd hop over to Nosler's web site and look at the Trophy Grade Rifle they offer. Nosler has adopted the .280 AI as a factory offering, selling ammo and cases.

But then I seldom buy anything factory made anymore, so I'd probably build up one on a new bare Remington 700 Stainless Steel Long Action from Brownells. Send it off for a bit of modification such as double pinned .250" bedding block recoil lug, bolt sleeving, locking lug fitting and firing pin bushing. Stuff a Jewel trigger in it, then I'd send it off to Pac-Nor Barreling for a Stainless Steel Super-Match barrel in .280 Ackley. Mate it to a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock and go shooting. Cost = about $1,700 without scope or mounts.

Kimber? Not me, from what I've seen at the range too many problems, but then maybe current production is better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is just me, so take it for what it's worth.

I've been around a Mtn Ascent, it's not for me as it's just too darn light. As well I'm not a fan of brakes on a gun.

If I got an 84L as seductive as the 280 AI is I'd more than likely go with one of the standard rounds. For me the 06 and or 270 or 25/06 would do me quite well. And for me I'd prefer a skosh more barrel weight on these rigs as well. Give me another 5 oz or so and a tube that goes .6" at the mzl at 23" and I'd be a happy camper. That's just part of the reason that the Forbes rifles intrigue me and I think think they're gonna balance the way I like (weight forward) as well I feel that they're gonna shoot balls out!!

One challenge I've seen with the 280 AI rounds over the last decade or so is that most guys buy them with the paradigm that it's an equivalent to a 7 RM. Now by my way thinking it isn't that and shouldn't be pushed to those lengths. But pretty much day in and day out I see the 280AI leaned on just so someone can say yepper by gosh I knew it was a 7 RM...

Best of luck to you in your decision. Personally, for me there's better ways to go and to tell you the truth there was a day from moons ago when I wouldn't of thought that way.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Seems to me that if we were all so concerned about muzzle velocity we would all be running 7mm RUM's. But we're not so take a look at the ballistics if it looks like something you like then get one. If it don't work out for you put it up on the campfire here and someone will gladly take it off your hands.

JMHO

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 74 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,934
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.