-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Agree with battue and nsaqam. When still hunting the rifle is in my hands.

I've got the itch to lighten up my M7 .358 some. Thinking I'll pull off the barrel and re-profile it on my new big lathe. It's got the infamous Pac-Nor long shank which, if nothing else, makes re-stocking it a pain.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Originally Posted by Technoman26
That's a good point. And there are ways to save weight without carrying a lighter rifle. Gear, pack and what's in it matter too. Besides, I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one that could shed some weight off my middle and save WAY more than a few ounces. shocked

Do you carry your belly in your hands? How about the stuff in your pack?
Your rifle is the only item which you carry in your hands while hunting and stuff carried in your hands is supported by your muscles. 8oz in your hands is likely the equivalent of 15lbs in your pack.

Neither is carried in my hands. But at the end of a long day of hiking around northern NH mountains which I do every deer season (no, they aren't 10k footers but none the less) I can tell you, I'd do better shedding 10 or 15 lbs of body mass then carrying around 8oz less rifle.

It's not to say that a light rifle isn't better for some. But I'm not opposed to carrying around my 8+ lb Winchester if that's what I want to do. And I've carried it all day, from before sunrise to after sunset (many many times), in my hands.

And what's tired at the end of the day? I'll tell you what, it isn't my hands or my arms from carrying an 8lb rifle. It's my legs. Your legs are what tote you up and down mountains, not your arms and your legs have to carry ALL your weight no matter where it is.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Agree with battue and nsaqam. When still hunting the rifle is in my hands.

Same here. The only time the rifle is ever slung over my shoulder is for glassing. At all other times, in one hand or the other.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jwall

Besides, I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one that could shed some weight off my middle and save WAY more than a few ounces. shocked

I'll take that bet. YOU are the only one overweight. NOT grin grin

HA!

To quote deflave, "GFY" wink

Funny, I seem to lose and find the same 20 lbs over and over again. I gotta do something about that.

Last edited by Technoman26; 11/29/12.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by deflave
I agree. Light rig has nothing to with gut size.

Travis

It does, if you're talking energy expenditure for a day of hunting. Absolutely. A lighter me gets around the hills, trails and mountains way easier and with less effort than a heavier me.

Toting around 8oz less rifle helps too, if that's what you want to do, but add another 20lbs to your pack and walk all day then tell me which makes you more tired. 8oz more rifle or 20lbs more in your pack.

To be honest, I've searched for lighter boots because it takes energy to move those boots all day. Up, down, around, over. Think about it, it takes more energy to move something all day (your feet and legs) then to carry something which is static most of the time.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Travis

It does, if you're talking energy expenditure for a day of hunting. Absolutely. A lighter me gets around the hills, trails and mountains way easier and with less effort than a heavier me.

Toting around 8oz less rifle helps too, if that's what you want to do, but add another 20lbs to your pack and walk all day then tell me which makes you more tired. 8oz more rifle or 20lbs more in your pack.

To be honest, I've searched for lighter boots because it takes energy to move those boots all day. Up, down, around, over. Think about it, it takes more energy to move something all day (your feet and legs) then to carry something which is static most of the time.

Why would I put 20lbs of extra schit in my pack? I'm not following your logic.

Buy some Keens. They're plenty light.

A lighter rifle, is a lighter rifle. In shape or not.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
2 lbs of rifle makes a huge difference. I'll carry an 8 lb sporter all day, but I don't want to carry my 10 lb 700p more than about 200 yds or so.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
When still hunting I prefer the rifle in my hands. Of course, the mt sides I hunt generally have a max range of 100 through "holes" and most shots are ~75 yards, so things are kinda tight. It could be done with a slung rifle, but I prefer to carry it. I usually carry it in my left arm, arm bent at 90 degrees, rifle sitting sideways.....my right hand holds bino's with the right elbow resting on the stock for support, right index finger holds edge of cap bill to steady. A 6.5lb rifle is nice when doing this.

+1 also as nsagam points out. If the gun is on your shoulder the deer is saying GFY as it takes off grin Even when the gun is in your hands you may not get a shot off in some of the cedar swamps and laurel thickets

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=Technoman26]

HA!

Funny, I seem to lose and find the same 20 lbs over and over again. I gotta do something about that.

Please note the NOT and 2 grins.

Yep but I gain it in Winter & lose it in Summer.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Travis

Why would I put 20lbs of extra schit in my pack? I'm not following your logic.

Buy some Keens. They're plenty light.

A lighter rifle, is a lighter rifle. In shape or not.

Travis

It isn't that hard to follow Travis. If I am 20 lbs lighter in the future, it's 20 lbs my body isn't carrying around anymore. So I am equating it to you putting an extra 20 lbs of chit in your bag now and walking around all day. Then tell me if you are more or less tired than if you hadn't hiked around with that 20 extra lbs.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[quote=Technoman26]

HA!

Please note the NOT and 2 grins.

Yep but I gain it in Winter & lose it in Summer.

yeah, I know you were busting my chops...thus the wink. smile No worries.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ChipM
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
When still hunting I prefer the rifle in my hands. Of course, the mt sides I hunt generally have a max range of 100 through "holes" and most shots are ~75 yards, so things are kinda tight. It could be done with a slung rifle, but I prefer to carry it. I usually carry it in my left arm, arm bent at 90 degrees, rifle sitting sideways.....my right hand holds bino's with the right elbow resting on the stock for support, right index finger holds edge of cap bill to steady. A 6.5lb rifle is nice when doing this.

+1 also as nsagam points out. If the gun is on your shoulder the deer is saying GFY as it takes off grin Even when the gun is in your hands you may not get a shot off in some of the cedar swamps and laurel thickets

This bring me back to memories of tired hands.

My bad... I assumed we were talking backpack hunting when the subject of "light rifles" came up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tired hands..

another jeffyO classic.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
One thing people tend to not touch on when bringing up the just lose weight, or use less chit in your pack....your body is going to carry that weight no matter what. Your pack, is distributed between BOTH shoulders and your back, probably evenly. Your rifle, on the other hand, is strung on one shoulder, or in your hand. The reason light rifles feel a LOT better to hunt with at the end of the day is because it is an uneven weight carried on ONE side at a time and it will increase fatigue at a much faster pace then even 10lbs extra in your pack. It is a focus point for fatigue, wear and pain on your body when something is not symmetrical

I tried going down to what I thought was bare minimum essential gear in my pack this year elk hunting at 10k ft. Didn't notice much difference. When I switched from carrying my 9+lbs rifle to my just under 8lbs rifle, I noticed a MUCH bigger difference.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

It isn't that hard to follow Travis. If I am 20 lbs lighter in the future, it's 20 lbs my body isn't carrying around anymore. So I am equating it to you putting an extra 20 lbs of chit in your bag now and walking around all day. Then tell me if you are more or less tired than if you hadn't hiked around with that 20 extra lbs.

Ok. I'll try and keep up.

Sorry.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wife and I moved from Oklahoma to San Luis Valley, Colorado, (6500') in 1960 so that fall/ winter was my first elk hunt. Hunting rifles then were either model 70 Winchesters, whatever Remington had to offer or a "sporterized" (usually butcherized) Mauser or Springfield and they were all heavyweights, compared to what we have to choose from nowadays. 30-06, of course, was the caliber of choice but some of my gang shot .270s which, back then, worked just as well as the .06. Or at least we thought so. 130 grain Silvertips in the .270s and 150 grain Remington Core-Lokts in the .06s. I think everybody I hunted with used Weaver 4X scopes and backpacks hadn't been invented yet, at least nobody I knew had one. .300 Winchester magnums hadn't made the scene yet either but when they did in 1963, nobody I hunted with got all het up to own one. What we had was plenty good. And once in a while, somebody would show up with a .300 Savage but they came up a little short in the range department so they never became real popular around there. None of us made a game out of seeing how far away from an elk we could get before opening fire but instead we did our best to get as close as possible. Pretty sorry shooters back then.

Our favorite camp site was a dry camp well above timberline and our tent or tents were canvas wall tents and one of them, a 14 X 16 had an oil heater that we used to warm the place up and to warm up some of the food our wives cooked ahead of time.

When we left camp to go hunt, we always went down hill so all of our plunder had to be carried uphill, by hand and back. A hind quarter off a big bull elk or even a small cow got pretty heavy by the time we made it back to headquarters. And we thought it was fun! Back then, a cow tag was coveted and had to be applied for. Bull license was purchased "over the counter."

Leave out from camp in the morning with a peanut butter sandwich in one pocket and an old army canteen of water strapped on which might have turned to hard water by the time you wanted a drink. Not a problem if we had snow but once in a while that didn't happen. Made for hard hunting.

Ahh, them were the days!

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Wife and I moved from Oklahoma to San Luis Valley, Colorado, (6500') in 1960 so that fall/ winter was my first elk hunt. Hunting rifles then were either model 70 Winchesters, whatever Remington had to offer or a "sporterized" (usually butcherized) Mauser or Springfield and they were all heavyweights, compared to what we have to choose from nowadays. 30-06, of course, was the caliber of choice but some of my gang shot .270s which, back then, worked just as well as the .06. Or at least we thought so. 130 grain Silvertips in the .270s and 150 grain Remington Core-Lokts in the .06s. I think everybody I hunted with used Weaver 4X scopes and backpacks hadn't been invented yet, at least nobody I knew had one. .300 Winchester magnums hadn't made the scene yet either but when they did in 1963, nobody I hunted with got all het up to own one. What we had was plenty good. And once in a while, somebody would show up with a .300 Savage but they came up a little short in the range department so they never became real popular around there. None of us made a game out of seeing how far away from an elk we could get before opening fire but instead we did our best to get as close as possible. Pretty sorry shooters back then.

Our favorite camp site was a dry camp well above timberline and our tent or tents were canvas wall tents and one of them, a 14 X 16 had an oil heater that we used to warm the place up and to warm up some of the food our wives cooked ahead of time.

When we left camp to go hunt, we always went down hill so all of our plunder had to be carried uphill, by hand and back. A hind quarter off a big bull elk or even a small cow got pretty heavy by the time we made it back to headquarters. And we thought it was fun! Back then, a cow tag was coveted and had to be applied for. Bull license was purchased "over the counter."

Leave out from camp in the morning with a peanut butter sandwich in one pocket and an old army canteen of water strapped on which might have turned to hard water by the time you wanted a drink. Not a problem if we had snow but once in a while that didn't happen. Made for hard hunting.

Ahh, them were the days!

Sounds a little too rustic.

Travis

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
No, it sounds pretty awesome to me.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
No, it sounds pretty awesome to me.

What about when it's really cold outside?

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I.don't hunt on really cold days. My hands get too tired.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (22250rem, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 19rabbit52, 58 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,862
Posts18,517,846
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.