Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by slm9s
Light done right - my version. ULA 7RM w/ Z5 3.5-18 (scope is 15.9 oz)
[Linked Image]

that's nice..

say slm9s..what does that set up weigh?

You don't see many 7 Mags in a lightweight configuration but I think it's a good way to go. Although, my 7 Mag goes 8lbs even scoped.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
No, it sounds pretty awesome to me.

What about when it's really cold outside?

Travis

Well then my feet don't sweat as much... wink

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Sounds a little too rustic," sez Travis.

Well, us old goats is kinda rustic but we didn't thaink nobody would notice. Some things you just kinda sweep under the rug.

"What about when it's really cold outside?" sez Travis again.

That was the good thing about hunting the high country in Colorado. Very seldom got any colder than about thirty degrees. whistle Below zero, that is. cool

So along with being a little rustic, we wuz also pretty tuff, even though I never was as tuff as I used to be. Modern day guys is lots tuffer.

O, and we didn't have any of these modern day camouflage duds, either. frown

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
"Sounds a little too rustic," sez Travis.

Well, us old goats is kinda rustic but we didn't thaink nobody would notice. Some things you just kinda sweep under the rug.

"What about when it's really cold outside?" sez Travis again.

That was the good thing about hunting the high country in Colorado. Very seldom got any colder than about thirty degrees. whistle Below zero, that is. cool

So along with being a little rustic, we wuz also pretty tuff, even though I never was as tuff as I used to be. Modern day guys is lots tuffer.

O, and we didn't have any of these modern day camouflage duds, either. frown

Well you guys did have a coffee pot in camp didn't ya?, I don't claim to be that tough, but I am stupid enough to think that going hunting out of a camp like that would be a hell of a lot of fun.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Well you guys did have a coffee pot in camp didn't ya?, I don't claim to be that tough, but I am stupid enough to think that going hunting out of a camp like that would be a hell of a lot of fun."

Oh yes, we had coffee galore! Made the right way which was bringing the water to a boil and then toss in a handful or so of coffee grounds. Let it boil a little longer as the temp of boiling water isn't real high at 10,500' or so. After it boiled a while, you would throw in a cupful of cold water to settle the grounds and then get to drinkin.'

I look back and wonder what made us think it was so much fun but guess it was as we kept doing it for quite a few years.

One of the crew had an old ex-army 4 X 4 1 1/2 ton truck that hauled all our gear up there. 216 CID Chevrolet engine but lots of gears so it did the job very well.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Tanner
I.don't hunt on really cold days. My hands get too tired.

grin

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A good stock, roomy barrel free float, great trigger and bedding job make light rifles a lot less finicky to hold/off the pack shooting.
IMO, balance matters. Not that it can't be compensated for.
This is my favorite rifle as to how it carries. Light without a flimsy barrel.
Balances off hand great.
Not sure of the weight but Classic stock in Edge and a #2 Krieger @ 22".

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Just got back from deer hunting for a few days .
I too do not want a rifle that weighs a ton BUT ,
Well heres the story I had a Remington 7600 Synthetic 243 with barnes 80 Gr TTSX with a 4x M-8 Leupold mounted in Weaver rings Slung across my left shoulder.The rest of the story is I had a CZ 527 223 with a leupold 4x M-8 in my right hand !
Thing is I really wanted to kill a deer with the 223 but thought I might get a shot 3 or 400 yards off and wouldn,t have felt comfortable taking a shot with the 223 but would have with the 243.We dont have that many deer and in fact I didn,t see one at all on the hunt.
The end comment about all of this is that even though I am 53 and not in the best of shape I really had no problem carrying both rifles.granted I probably didn,t walk over a mile or so each day .I suspect if I was hunting where I walked 5 miles or so in the mountains that the story would be completely different but for the type of Deer hunting I do(the flatlands of Arkansas using stands overlooking agri fields)I am begining to think it doesn,t really matter.I dont backpack in or out and if I do get lucky and get one I am either going to drive the truck up to it (if it is dry enough) or use a 4 wheeler or tractor to get it out,so carrying a lightweight rifle is not a big priority.
Just talked myself out of the Kimber I was looking for !
Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FVA - what's the chambering?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Guys - W/O rehashing all the discussion pertaining to xtra weight being overweight, xtra wt in packs, being out of shape, etc. I just did an experiment.

I've been hunting a lot recently including today. I ALWAYS carry my backpack. So I just weighed myself THEN weighed myself holding my pack.

The pack weighed 11 POUNDS 3.3 ozs.

Yes I could reduce the wt. in the pack, but I carry (keep) things in it that I do and have used, even today, but DO NOT use every time.

Point being - that weight DOES NOT bother me. For example....

Monday, I killed a 6 pt buck, went and checked him out, went back to the spot and ranged it, went back to the deer and took several pics. I DID NOT notice that I was still wearing the pack.

Yes, I could reduce the weight in the pack BUT I keep things in it that I use OCCASIONALLY but not every hunt. That weight does NOT bother me.

I can tell you for a fact -- I will NOT carry a rifle that weighs 11 lbs.

YMMV but that's where I am.

FOOD FOR THOT !

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was a young limber back I could do the same thing!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
When I was a young limber back I could do the same thing!

Hey man!! I turned 63 yrs OLD this month. Ain't no spring chicken.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
When the topo lines start stacking up, you'll see what the fuss is all about.

So true!

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 1badf350, 65 invisible), 3,027 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,835
Posts18,517,071
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.