-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the loss of interest in bowl games in general is the fact we're deluged with sports of all kinds these days.

I'm not trying to be rude now, but the rest of the country gets tired of having the SEC shoved down our throats by ESPN and other media who hype it as a cash cow.

Money has ruined college football. It has always been a problem, but now it has become nothing but entry level professional sports in some conferences. With coaches making the salaries they do, it's hard to deny that.

Except for the average size of the players, the NV/Boise game was the same football played and just as exciting. It has a smaller market is all. When we lose sight of the kids who actually play the games and focus only on the "elites", we lose the whole purpose of college football. The BCS system is nothing more than a system of making the rich richer.

Watching the bone-head clock management at the end of the Georgia/Alabama game didn't impress anyone. Still, it was an entertaining game. We don't need to make it a cult however.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
More spread the wealth garbage. So the SEC is an evil money making machine being forced on poor consumers?

C'mon man. The SEC is successful and every other conference would like to be in their shoes.

You act like the SEC is cheating and all the other poor conferences are being stand up guys, playing by the rules because their moral integrity is so valuable to them.

Like if it wasn't for their high moral standards, the other conferences could easily duplicate the SEC's success...

Laffin.

The SEC hasn't had anything given to them, their success is a result of hard work.

You claim it's all about the kids, Yet you support taking something away from deserving kids who have worked hard and earned it and giving it to others who have not earned it, under the guise of being "fair".

I know of a political party that subscribes to this point of view.

It ain't about the kids, you just don't like the SEC.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of people just think the SEC has always had it. When the SEC started the SEC Championship game to increase revenue and promote the conference everyone said they were crazy and it would destroy their chance at a title. It almost did in the first year, but it became agreat revenue producing game because of it.

The conference for the most part hasn't had any money favorites unlike the Big 12 which has rubbed enough teams the wrong way they eventually left the conference.

Other conferences need to work on building their brand and their brand of football. If football isn't a big deal to them, that's fine. But don't expect to get to be "like the big boys" just because you play football.

Maybe some SEC schools will get invites to the NCAA tournament this year because there are too many teams from traditional basketball schools....see how dumb that sounds?

Some of these other schools need to look up Roy Kramer and maybe hire someone like him to be their conference comissioner.

Last edited by NathanL; 12/02/12.

Otto is my co-pilot.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i couldn't agree more. it's not about money in the SEC, it's about talent.

the talent that accrues from farms, villages, and the big cities. some people just have the talent to play good football, and the viewing publics who tune in recognize that reality.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Be it possessions,job,looks,abilities,or other things, I have never been concerned with mine being the "best". Neither do I care that others have things far better than mine, nor do I mind them enjoying them. What I do find tiring is someone who feels the need to constantly point out the superiority of "theirs".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
seems like fans of mediocre teams are the most in favor of 'equality' when it comes to getting bowl bids. laugh

same goes for those that down play being 'the best' shocked

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
seems like fans of mediocre teams are the most in favor of 'equality' when it comes to getting bowl bids. laugh

The resemblance to a liberal is uncanny...... grin

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
More spread the wealth garbage. So the SEC is an evil money making machine being forced on poor consumers?

C'mon man. The SEC is successful and every other conference would like to be in their shoes.

You act like the SEC is cheating and all the other poor conferences are being stand up guys, playing by the rules because their moral integrity is so valuable to them.

Like if it wasn't for their high moral standards, the other conferences could easily duplicate the SEC's success...

Laffin.

The SEC hasn't had anything given to them, their success is a result of hard work.

You claim it's all about the kids, Yet you support taking something away from deserving kids who have worked hard and earned it and giving it to others who have not earned it, under the guise of being "fair".

I know of a political party that subscribes to this point of view.

It ain't about the kids, you just don't like the SEC.

To say that the kids at smaller schools didn't work hard or earn something is the height of arrogance. They work just as hard and put as much of themselves into the game as anyone else.

I'm not alone in being worn out by all the SEC hype being shoved down our throats.

I grant that the SEC has the strongest football teams. I don't buy into the "elite" being the only deserving.

And...YES...it should be more about the kids who suit up every practice all over the country, not just the ones who get the scholarships and glamor.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 257Deland

are the various college clubs limited from recruitment in various areas of the country?

i'll bet recruiters are well aware of where the talent lies, and make their offers accordingly?

can any one imagine a Bama player being recruited from Ga?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Only in your own mind. It always seems to come down to "liberals" VS your mindset. That was the stupidest remark I've seen today.

I guess you don't have much else worth a darned way down south, so football makes you feel relevant. grin

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Only in your own mind. It always seems to come down to "liberals" VS your mindset. That was the stupidest remark I've seen today.

I guess you don't have much else worth a darned way down south, so football makes you feel relevant. grin

Don't get your panties in wad junior cry Didn't you mean the most remark comment made today......point proven laugh

Last edited by 257Deland; 12/02/12.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

To say that the kids at smaller schools didn't work hard or earn something is the height of arrogance. They work just as hard and put as much of themselves into the game as anyone else.

I'm not alone in being worn out by all the SEC hype being shoved down our throats.

I grant that the SEC has the strongest football teams. I don't buy into the "elite" being the only deserving.

And...YES...it should be more about the kids who suit up every practice all over the country, not just the ones who get the scholarships and glamor.

Lets get something straight,

I Never said that kids at other schools don't work hard. You're imagining things again.

You said that you think it's acceptable to take things away from people who have earned and give to those that haven't.

I called BS on that one.

If you're tired of hearing about the SEC, get off your couch and start the Mediocre Bowl. Go find 2 hard working 4-8 teams and have yourself a ballgame.

I'm sure it will be a booming success.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gus

are the various college clubs limited from recruitment in various areas of the country?

i'll bet recruiters are well aware of where the talent lies, and make their offers accordingly?

20 Bama players are from GA, if it makes any difference...

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by GeoW
Originally Posted by Gus

20 Bama players are from GA, if it makes any difference...

well, it makes a ton of difference. it just shows that recruiters are on the look-out for the best players possible.

they'd likely go to Alaska if it was worth their time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of course it matters. Why do you think so many LSU fans are going to root for ND over the Tide even tho LSU and ND have bad blood in the past. Nobody wants their close rival in the division getting a step ahead on recruiting.

Bama had a top recruit from Louisiana on the field last night who scored a TD. Funny LSU let him pass because LSU couldn't get him qualified academically with the NCAA but apparently Saban had more pull lol.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

if you can do it, it ain't hype. just look at the top Ten.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No. 7 LSU gets No. 13 Clemson in the ChickFilA bowl....that might be a pretty good matchup, compared to some of them.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
No. 7 LSU gets No. 13 Clemson in the ChickFilA bowl....that might be a pretty good matchup, compared to some of them.

[Linked Image]

Otto is my co-pilot.
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (35, 14idaho, 405winash, 257robertsimp, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 858 guests, and 869 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,407
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.