Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

My younger brother with his B&C ram he killed last fall with my .260 with one shot at 350 yards. We thought it was a good idea to try for both shoulders, as he was laying on top of a steep point that dropped off into a very rough and nasty canyon. At impact, the ram rolled over on it's side and never moved. The bullet crushed both shoulders and left a good sized exit. There was no wind and the ram had no idea we were there. Perfect conditions to execute a pinpoint shot. I can't imagine that ram dying any quicker or better, regardless of what rifle/bullet combination was used.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
my .260
6.5 SAUM

Killing with Bergers, the 26's are the new 28's and 30's! wink

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

I prefer a tougher bullet, especially for elk. Here in Oregon it's thick timber, and most of the bulls are found there. Shots over 300 yds are not common, like some of the barren landscape I have seen on some of the pictures in this thread, at least those long range boys got the scope right..... Made in Oregon.

Forget the past the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Germany....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the fact that Mule Deer, Dober, John Burns, and Scenarshooter all think Berger makes a good hunting bullet is very telling.

It seems to be only those with limited experience think otherwise, and are basing their opinions off of one or two critters shot under suspect circumstances.

I've never killed a critter with a Berger, but I plan to try some in the future.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by bellydeep
I think the fact that Mule Deer, Dober, John Burns, and Scenarshooter all think Berger makes a good hunting bullet is very telling.

And me, too.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by WYcoyote; 12/01/12.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I once shot a coyote@ 50 yards with a 300 Win and 180 Grn partition and lost it. I found 3 inches of leg bone,lots of blood and hair.I'm sure it died.Pretty sure it wasn't bullet failure,just a little far forward for good vitals. Would I abandon partitions based on that episode not hardly.I think one has to look at bullets success with the masses and look at the big picture.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Great Pics!

Super NICE Ram!

Congrats.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Originally Posted by bellydeep

And me, too.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice borrego and uffda what a whitey!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
No kidding! I'd like to hear what bullet he used on them.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by SU35
No kidding! I'd like to hear what bullet he used on them.

210 grain Berger Hunting VLD out of a .300 Win Mag on the ram, and a 115 grain Berger Hunting VLD out of a 25-06 on the whitetail, both taken this fall.
Sheep was taken at 570 yards.

Last edited by WYcoyote; 12/01/12.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I scanned through here, hopoing not to double post..

FOr those that want tougher, use the berger target version, not hte hunting ones... I've used target only after looking at the destruction of the hunting versions and the folks at Berger told me same, but that most folks are after bang flops for whatever reason hence the redesign.

Target has never failed me, 308 WIn , 185 Target VLD....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is a 230 Hybrid from a 300 RUM. Response is from another forum

Pop, this is from a friend of mine that I 100% trust. Just wanted to state it is not from me. Also this is the 230 Target Hybrid, not the OTM but I believe the jackets are the same thickness.

Jeff

"30 cal. 230 grain berger hybrid target before and after. 6x6 elk shot at 648 yards. The bullet hit the bottom of the spine and was found just under the hide in the offside hind quarter. The elk was facing down hill and quartered at me. It dropped in its tracks. so did the cow i shot at 90 yards and the deer at 110 the year before. They aren't recommended for hunting by berger but they work well for me!"

[Linked Image]

This is more like it

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, just wait.

A bunch of people are going to ignore the fact that Berger actually makes a bullet recommended for hunting, and one that is not.

They'll load up a bunch of the target bullets and be back on the campfire next fall complaining about all of the "bullet failures" and how their animal ran off, never to be recovered, following a "perfect" shot.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

[Linked Image]

This is more like it[/quote]

That's what I'd be looking for. Is that TYPICAL IYE (in your experience)?

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From every report I got this far (over 50 animals) yes.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is not typical in my experience. I need to go out and find what remained of the bullet that killed my oryx. All that was recovered was the boat tail. Not that I am complaining. The thump of the animal hitting the ground was almost as gruesome as the bullet kerthump. I am running them a mite faster and it was from much closer range.

I would feel comfortable shooting the 230gr OTM at about any animal near or far.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
If you transfer all the energy in a bullet to your intended target it a good round! The perfect round will transfer all the energy and then fall to the ground. I have ZERO issues with Berger. JMO

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SU35
my .260
6.5 SAUM

Killing with Bergers, the 26's are the new 28's and 30's! wink

I do find it interesting that there is a correlation. Those that are happy with VLDs are also inclined to hunt with smaller rounds.

Interesting. wink

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The problem seems obvious from johns photos.

He is shooting old deer with brittle bones. You can tell by all of the calcium loss caused by enormous antler growth. VLD's only work on old deer. That also explains why fixed power works better than variable. When you get older our eyes don't work as good as when we were younger.

In the land of the blind, the one eye is king.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (160user, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,442 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,167
Posts18,484,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.