Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gravestone
Wait a minute Matt!! You're kill elk with a 260 with SGK's no less!! A puny little caliber like that and SGK's bounce of an elk!! LOL!!!

Guess I shouldn't mention that I've seen a 12 year old rain man slay a tatonka with a .223 either... lest Brad have a f'n coronary.

grin

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Matt i'm actually looking at the 260 now but i'm still flip flopping between the 260 and 7mm08

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by buffybr

[Linked Image]

That's a great pic!

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 12/27/12.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gravestone
Matt i'm actually looking at the 260 now but i'm still flip flopping between the 260 and 7mm08

Even though I'm azz deep in 260s, and lack anything sporting .284, I couldn't fathom a decent argument against either. I personally figure the jump from .264 to really only be worth it if it gets to .338. Call it the felt recoil vs. BC curve.

The only one fallin between .264 and .338 in the stash is a 30 PURELY for nostalgic and sentimental reasons. I'm gonna smack something special with it, tongue in cheek and tear in eye one day. Not quite ready for that day, and it may not be me that trips that trigger.

BTW, I've never even seen a 162 AMAX...

[Linked Image]

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

[Linked Image]

That's a great pic!

Dober

That [bleep] looks like he was shot off'n alfalfa pile, or "the back 40".

Can't say I've had a one like that.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What i dont get is why more manufactures dont chamber in 260.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cause they sell more 270s and 3006s...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MattMan

[Linked Image]

That's a great pic!

Dober

That [bleep] looks like he was shot off'n alfalfa pile, or "the back 40".

Can't say I've had a one like that.

Thanks Mark, that was probably the last elk that Buffy shared with me, and also the last bull that I shot with my old .30 Gibbs.

Matt, I don't have an alfalfa pile or a back 40, so how about "the back 10." laugh

I think I've shot 3 bulls and a cow (all elk) back there. What's that old saying about a "gift horse"? This year both of my freezers were still full so on two separate days I watched a 6x6 bull and 8 cows graze through the grass behind me in the pic.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let me know when you want me to come out for sunrise coffee next November... cool

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a mental image of a guy bustin' his shin on the coffee table whilst trying to get to the back door and put his slippers on to ready for the shot.

I'm green with envy... especially when it comes to gettin' 'em out wink

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a mental image of a guy bustin' his shin on the coffee table whilst trying to get to the back door and put his slippers on to ready for the shot.

Neighbor did that this year getting his antelope, while it was in the corral taking advantage of the horses mineral.
He almost got his elk that way a couple years ago, but the buggers heard him open the window and take the screen out...

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=buffybr]
[Linked Image]

That's a great pic!

Dober

Thanks Mark, that was probably the last elk that Buffy shared with me,

Well buffy when we gonna see a picture like that with Max?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Almost put a WT down a little while ago out the slider in our bedroom, but noticed it was "one horn", a young neighborhood buck who got his ass kicked sometime this season..

If it was a doe, it woulda caught some 00 buck. grin

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I shot my biggest bull to date, a heavy 6x7, off my deck in the horse pasture behind the house... in my underwear. Had to be a good 75 yard shot.
I shot several from the house over the years, then I would take all the screens off the windows so when the coyotes came in to chew on the left-overs, I could just slide the .243 out and BOOM!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
How'd he get into your underwear?

The issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution.

David Horowitz, Saul Alinsky and every woman I've ever argued with.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those big bulls are very very sneaky... wink

Dober

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BobinNH, you're right on there.

Lighter bullets loose their energy and momentum faster than similar heavier bullets with the same Ballistic Coefficent, so, on equal shots, they will not penetrate as deep as the heavier bullets.

IMO a 600 yd shot at a bull elk with a .243 Win is too far away, regardless of the rifle or scope. The energy and momentum just isn't there to reliably make a clean kill on an animal the size of an elk. I respect the animals too much to try stunt shots like that.

Several years ago, a friend and I had our .22-250s at our local gun range, and for fun we were shooting at the 450 yd Ram silouette steel targets. We could hear our .22 cal bullets ring the steel, but none of the targets would fall over. When we switched to our .270 and .30 cal rifles, the Rams fell with every hit.

I've been lucky enough to have lived most of my life in elk country. It costs me little more than the price of a resident, geezer elk tag to kill an elk. I also have up to a 4 1/2 month rifle hunting season for elk. Any year that I don't kill and elk is basically because I choose not to shoot one (like this year). This is a lot different than the non-resident hunter that only has a week or so to hunt elk and will pay from several thousand to over $25,000 to hunt elk.

At those prices, you want to kill your elk quickly, and not waste your hunting days trying to find a wounded animal. This is where the heavier bullets and larger calibers are beneficial. Although I have killed elk with smaller calibers (and even a sharp stick!), I feel that a good .30 caliber bullet at 3000 or more fps will hunanely kill an elk for any shot that I want to take.

And Bob, I don't know how you came up with "BuffyBear" in your previous post, but here's a pic of me and Buffy Bear, my best friend for 14 1/2 years, and a bull that I shot (with my .30 Gibbs and a 180 gr Partition) on the hill behind my home a few years ago.
[Linked Image]

Great picture, nice going on the elk, and I especially like your faithful bud.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Long story... but it takes some doing to get an elk into your underwear!

Ready #7247477 12/31/12
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I was hunting with a fellow once who sat down on a hill and proceeded to kill a cow elk at about 280-300 yards. Took her just behind the rib cage on the right side and found the bullet in the shoulder on the left side. She ran about 80 yards and hit the snow. He was shooting a .243 with Partition bullets of a weight I don't recall.

Of course what we really need for elk is a 35mm Super Whiz Bang Tree Chopper Nitro Express Raptor Magnum...don't wanna go in undergunned. smile

You see in this world, there's two kinds of people my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
.54 cal round ball works fine if you know how to get close.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,188
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.