Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Buzz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think I win the dink contest of the year. Best part is not only is is a dink, it has three legs and is likely and old dink. It had one tooth in the front and very worn teeth in the back.

I've always heard these things can be tough, but I've never seen one lose a leg like this completely and seemingly be extremely healthy.

My view from the tree. Privets are pretty thick, can't really see the ground until the cut. There's actually a large hardwood tree down right in front of me that you can barely see the trunk of. Most of these privets are at least 7-8' tall and some 20'+. It can be aggravating because you can have deer all over you less than 50y away and never see them. This guy came out just to the edge of the privets and stood there checking the wind a few seconds too long. I let a 55g TSX fly and he went about 40y, into the thickest crap and piled up. Mind you this deer walked out like a perfectly normal deer and even ran off like he was an able bodied deer.

[Linked Image]

With the gimp and the black rifle. While I've fired thousands of rounds out of these things, it's the first hunt ever with one of these contraptions smile

[Linked Image]

Loaded up, here are two more pictures of it's nub

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The little TSX did a number on this deer. The insides looked like it was hit by a .30-06.

[Linked Image]

For around here this is a respectable body sized deer but obviously a dinky rack. Most bucks aren't exactly large in NW Georgia. My bud who posts here is a pretty good sized fella , it would look a lot bigger with me standing next to it. smile

[Linked Image]

I have no clue if this deer has been injured for years or what. I'm guessing someone blew it's leg off last year (or before). This was def a first for me.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just having this discussion last night. It's amazing how mother nature smooths things out and just how strong some of these critters have to will to survive. Like you stated, the animal walked otherwise normally, even navagating through that thicket.

I've now killed two mature bucks in back to back to seasons with compound leg fractures that look as though the deer 'just worked thru' its injuries and healed over. Neither look like the bones were re-set, they just appear to globbed over with calcium.

congrats on the deer

although I think deer assassin has you beat with his "nubby-buddy" convenient 2-3/4" antlerless antlers. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree, not quite a "dink" too much antler, but a very cool unique one to say the least. it's amazing how adaptable animals can be. they have a will to survive and quite often they will despite what look like horrible injuries. someone will likely come along and say it's too bad no one shot him when he was injured that way he wouldn't have "suffered" and lived so long. smile

thanks for sharing the pictures and the story, very cool!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They can certainly take a lot of ballistic damage and keep on ticking. Until they cross the path of a cool head and accurate shot.

Be nice if my department switched to a "barrier-blind" Barnes TSX load after seeing for myself Sunday the internal damage the 55-gr TSX did on my Sunday deer. Be ideal for patrol purposes, maybe too over penetrative for entry team work.

Good buck, story and shooting, brother.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm glad you got him. Thanks for sharing the pics, congrats.

Last edited by slg888; 12/04/12.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I agree, not quite a "dink" too much antler, but a very cool unique one to say the least. it's amazing how adaptable animals can be. they have a will to survive and quite often they will despite what look like horrible injuries. someone will likely come along and say it's too bad no one shot him when he was injured that way he wouldn't have "suffered" and lived so long. smile

thanks for sharing the pictures and the story, very cool!

Too bad no one shot him when he was injured. That way he wouldn't have suffered and lived so long.

Sorry, couldn't resist. blush

Actually, that stump looks like there are a few spots scabbed over, as if it is a more recent injury that is at the last stages of healing. Or maybe, he just scraped it somehow.
Anyway, pretty interesting.

Forget the dink contest, too much horn there. Maybe you could win in the "handicapped" category! laugh

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I killed a tripod about 5 years ago that was chasing 3 does and had just cleared a 3 strand barbedwired fence, with ease.

I said the same thing, that I was amazed that an animal could heal and go on after having a leg blown off.
To which an 80 year old hunting club member simply stated "what else was he gonna do?"

Thats the real question. Not how did it survive, but what his other choice?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Congrats.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice Handicap Buck , you did it a favor.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never seen that before.Tough critter

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unusual that one side of the antlers are not deformed, usually on the opposite side from the injury. Here is a picture of one that I have not seen since. miles

[Linked Image]

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Nice buck, cool story, and good shooting. But there is NO WAY you're going to win the Dink Contest. It has an actual rack and it weighs more than #50 pounds.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
3 legs and navigating thick privets.... What a Survivor

I hate privets, can't see through em nor walk through them and the damn deer love the cover...

Hope that's smaller than what you shoot in SK!

When we shoot again, I want to shoot that black rifle...

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Nice work on the Tripod Jimmie. You fellars using the black rifles pay attention to your local laws. Some states have restrictions on magazine capacity......

Buzz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes, you are correct about some states. In Georgia, rifles have no limitations on magazine limits. The way I understand the regs I could hunt with a belt fed rifle if I were so inclined to do so. LOL

Buzz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tzone
Nice buck, cool story, and good shooting. But there is NO WAY you're going to win the Dink Contest. It has an actual rack and it weighs more than #50 pounds.

Haha! Maybe we need a gimp divison!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
they are tough critters for sure

congrats

If you cant hang'em on the wall
Hang'em between your teeth!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ringworm

I said the same thing, that I was amazed that an animal could heal and go on after having a leg blown off.
To which an 80 year old hunting club member simply stated "what else was he gonna do?"

Ha! Don't you love old dudes. They get away with saying stuff nobody else thinks about, then when you DO think about it, it makes sense!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Notice the slight malformation of the antler on the opposite side of the injury. If it was a recent injury, this malformation is usually more exaggerated.

I'd bet money he's been like that for some time.

The small scabs aren't indicative of a recent injury.

He could have gotten those using the stump when getting up and down while bedding.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Congrats on the deer. Better you get him than the yotes!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (219 Wasp, 219DW, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1936M71, 222Sako, 58 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,474
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.