Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
I have lived in the panhandle my whole life and i never really worried about trying to draw for a tag sense everything up hear it otc. But im going to school in south eastern idaho and im going to be putting in for some draws for elk, muleys, and antelope but im not super familiar with the southern idaho area hunting. I have hunted challis once for spikes. So far im thinking of unit 55 for muleys, 52 for antelope, and maybe some where around the challis or salmon area for elk. Any other units that you would suggest i look into?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
55 is good but there's a lot of private land compared to other units. Much of the unit is a big pile of mountains featuring Mt Harrison & Cache Peak and with lots of flat land around it. There are some really good looking draws on the lower slopes but they're all posted on every fence post. They can be hunted from the top but you'd better be in really good shape to pack a buck up that thing.

In 20 years of trying I've only managed to draw 52 for goats once. Antelope is the hardest tag there is to draw in Idaho any more. In most units, the odds are around 20 to 25 to 1.

2 years ago we hunted 36B for elk and saw absolutely nothing. That area has been hit pretty hard by wolves.

There are only 2 colleges in SE Idaho and you'd have to be braver than me to admit on a public forum that you're attending Idaho State. grin

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
55 has an open late archery deer season...if you're a bowhunter.

Otherwise, its a fairly hard draw, though there are some awesome deer there. I'd be all over the Pioneer Mountains for deer if you don't draw.

For elk, who knows??? Palisades used to be good but I haven't been there for quite a while. I've been putting in for the big desert rifle hunt for quite a while to no avail. Talk to the Idaho G&F. They can likely give you a better answer.

Antelope, like rockchuck said, is fairly hard to get a tag anymore in any unit, though some units have better draws than others.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Idaho State is a great university, just not for men's sports! There are a lot of Elk if you know where to look. From Island Park down to Diamond Creek there are elk, just watch for griz in the IP areas! We have hunted in the Pioneer, Lemhi, and Beaverhead areas and have taken elk. No more big herds just smaller herds. Steelhead fishing down along the Salmon River we see 300+ each day of course that is in the spring. Good luck!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Vandals rule....except in football. grin

There are also quite a few moose in the eastern ID units. We got 2 nice bulls out of 62 some years ago although guys we've talked to since then who drew tags didn't see much. We got ours before the wolves were introduced.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My daughter is a Vandal, almost disinherited her (lol)! Unit 70 has a great deer herd and a moose herd if you can draw it!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 24mileboy
My daughter is a Vandal, almost disinherited her (lol)! Unit 70 has a great deer herd and a moose herd if you can draw it!

Get her into intensive rehab as soon as possible.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
55 is good but there's a lot of private land compared to other units. Much of the unit is a big pile of mountains featuring Mt Harrison & Cache Peak and with lots of flat land around it. There are some really good looking draws on the lower slopes but they're all posted on every fence post. They can be hunted from the top but you'd better be in really good shape to pack a buck up that thing.

In 20 years of trying I've only managed to draw 52 for goats once. Antelope is the hardest tag there is to draw in Idaho any more. In most units, the odds are around 20 to 25 to 1.

2 years ago we hunted 36B for elk and saw absolutely nothing. That area has been hit pretty hard by wolves.

There are only 2 colleges in SE Idaho and you'd have to be braver than me to admit on a public forum that you're attending Idaho State. grin

And the only other one has *burg* on the end.....

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1minute, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,534
Posts18,472,748
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.