Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
You may be right about the 3-9 Conquest,as I haven't seen one in a while and was going from memory. The 3.5-10 and 4.5-14 Conquests definitely do not have a thicker reticle than the VX3's. Has the color changing reticle hindered your hunting in any way? Just curious.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by cfran
Originally Posted by jimmyp
My 3.5 x 10 x 50 is pretty bright at end of shooting time, but I can use a 2.5 x 8 x 32 Conquest then as well because the reticule is blacker and easier to see.

Yep, same here the reticle is the weak link with a Leupold but with that said my VX3, 3.5x10x40 is a nice scope. And I can't dig the heavy duplex that you can get with a Leupold, etched in the Zeiss is a better mousetrap.

No offense cfran, but I have Conquests and VX3's with duplex reticles too. The Leupold duplex is thicker than any of my conquests. I'm specifically referring to the thin wires of the reticle.

Non taken sir, just my observations and the black color of the Zeiss show up better in low light due to color. Otherwise agree re thickness.

M
Moses Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
The maximum exit pupil for a human is somewhere in the neighborhood of 7mm. So theoretically a 1.5X with an Objective lens of "only" 20mm is going to have an exit pupil of 13.3mm and a 1.5X with a 42mm obj lens is going to have an exit pupil of 28mm. Both provide a column of light that is far more than can be taken advantage of by the human eye. So are we now talking about the "Quality" of light; if so how does this translate into being able to see more in dim light?

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Right on cfran. I'll be the first to admit the Conquests are hard to beat as an overall package in their price range, that's for sure.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
They are but I'm really digging my VX3, great overall package - not perfect but nothing is.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Moses,

I did some side by side comparison with various optics of varying prices. Exit pupil didn't seem to make any difference. If you would like to read my report I will send it to you in a private message.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by cfran
They are but I'm really digging my VX3, great overall package - not perfect but nothing is.

Me too buddy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
has it hindered me? well i dont have a leupold anymore so if it did, it doesnt anymore...and i like leupolds but i like other scopes also and it is possible for leupold to not be the best in every single scenario for every person like some want to believe

all in all, i prefer my reticles stay black unless i "click" them to glow though, just me

Last edited by SAKO75; 12/05/12.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have several brands but the swaroski is the brightest I have. The 4 reticle would probably be the heaviest and best reticle for your situation

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A few general comments:

1) Extra magnification, as far as is practical, helps us see better in dim light. This is why turning a scope down to 2x doesn't help.

2) A heavier reticle definitely helps.

3) An electronically illuminated reticle doesn't always help all that much as some believe, because many are mounted on a piece of plain, uncoated glass, thus dimming the image slightly.

Years ago I developed a night-time brightness test with a black-and-white chart illuminated with a 100-watt bulb at 25 yards. With scopes set on 6x to even out the effect of magnification, all modern scopes test between 6 and 8 on the chart. So far all the 8's have been scopes costing over $1000 with wire reticles.

If the reticle is mounted on glass (whether because it's illuminated or etched), very few scopes have tested over 7. These require a heavy reticle to make up for the slight reduction in brightness.

What all of this means is that it helps to actually look through a bunch of scopes with various reticles, rather than debate what makes a difference on the Internet.

There are too many factors in optics and reticle to say THIS IS THE BEST.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mule Deer,

You're not goin' bring in science are you?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Moses Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
So a medium magnification (4X-6X) with the widest field of view is a great start?

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
You really should post this topic in the European section because there you will get really good advice on bright scopes. My advice is buy a quality European (Zeiss, S&B, Swarovski, Kahles) 2.5-10x56; 3-12x56 or a fixed 8x56 scope preferably with thick reticle or illuminated reticle and you will have the brightest scope money can buy....it�s as simple as that !

We Europeans do a lot of night hunting so we have the experience and know what we are talking about when it come to bright scopes.

Last edited by Konnari; 12/06/12.
M
Moses Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
There are parameters. Giant scopes on compact rifles......
There are no great choices at more reasonable prices?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Trijicon 3-9x40's are great for black hogs in low light.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Moses
There are parameters. Giant scopes on compact rifles......
There are no great choices at more reasonable prices?

Already mentioned: FX-3 6x42 HD

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Moses
Sitting in the woods. Last 30 minutes til black dark. 20 feet off the ground in a climber. Ruger 77 RSI .308. Last light brightness is the objective. Deer and big black hogs are the game. 70 yards is the furthest that can be seen in good light. What scope? Keep in mind the asthetics of the compact rifle.

I did this just last night with an FX3 6x42 (on a compact rifle). I got some extra time in as I waited for the buck chasing the doe to move on before I climbed down..and they hung around for a good while. Could see deer fine in thick pines well after legal shooting light. The heavy duplex is great for this. The main problem in this case would be seeing limbs...deer could be seen, heavy duplex could be seen,....but lots of little limbs between the heavy duplex and the deer that are seen in daylight/dusk couldn't been seen after dark.

I think the FX3 6x42 with heavy duplex is the most bang for the buck in low light shooting, though there are a lot of scopes that would be right with it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I should add to the above... It was so dark that I could barely make out movement without scope or bino's if they were in a spot with a light background but couldn't see exactly where the deer were. With the scope I could see well enough to take a shot (if it were legal hours). I could see the deer with the bino's (Minox IF 6.5's) but not quite as well as with the scope (FX3 6x42)...I think...really splitting hairs...

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
For your situation I'd take a hard look at the VX-R series, probably in 2-7x33 with FireDot Duplex.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A few general comments:

1) Extra magnification, as far as is practical, helps us see better in dim light. This is why turning a scope down to 2x doesn't help.

2) A heavier reticle definitely helps.

3) An electronically illuminated reticle doesn't always help all that much as some believe, because many are mounted on a piece of plain, uncoated glass, thus dimming the image slightly.

Years ago I developed a night-time brightness test with a black-and-white chart illuminated with a 100-watt bulb at 25 yards. With scopes set on 6x to even out the effect of magnification, all modern scopes test between 6 and 8 on the chart. So far all the 8's have been scopes costing over $1000 with wire reticles.

If the reticle is mounted on glass (whether because it's illuminated or etched), very few scopes have tested over 7. These require a heavy reticle to make up for the slight reduction in brightness.

What all of this means is that it helps to actually look through a bunch of scopes with various reticles, rather than debate what makes a difference on the Internet.

There are too many factors in optics and reticle to say THIS IS THE BEST.

Wow there is a bunch of bait for Eremicus to use.

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1lesfox, 1Longbow, 1234, 1badf350, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 1,759 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,506
Posts18,530,298
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.