Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Have hunted many years with Noslers of various types - and they all worked well, Ballistic Tip, Solid Base, Accubond and Partition. A few years back I thought to give Berger VLD's a try, based on what I'd heard and read. Well worthwhile for me. Three mulies at 175, 230 and 400 yards. Good penetration into the vitals, massive destruction inside the chest cavity and instant drops. Normally no exit wound, and the entrance wounds were tiny, hard to find.

This was the 115 Berger VLD at 3190 fps from my .25-06 rifle. Fixed six-power scope FWIW.

Shot one of the bucks, at 175 yards, through the shoulder blade. No problem. Actually recovered what was left of the bullet from just under the skin on the opposite side. Not much bullet left, but a lot of very dead mule deer. Didn't lose much meat. Had to quarter that one up and hike him up out of the canyon.

I still hunt with my good ol' Noslers and they keep doing a stellar job, but doggone, those Bergers work just the way they're advertised to work and I think they're just dandy for quick kills on deer sized game.

Regards, Guy

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Aaah: Your first and biggest mistake correct bullet placement is shooting any Deer through the shoulders!

Shooting a Deer through the shoulders invites a whole host of problems for the "Hunter" - DEER.
VarmintGuy

Sorry, but an intervention was called for in lieu of the men in the white suits...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by SU35
my .260
6.5 SAUM

Killing with Bergers, the 26's are the new 28's and 30's! wink

I do find it interesting that there is a correlation. Those that are happy with VLDs are also inclined to hunt with smaller rounds.

Interesting. wink

And in many cases these fellas do tend to light the torch a bit more than many a folk....

Just a thunk.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
When something is easier on the wallet and shoulder to shoot, one tends to shoot it more. More shooting makes for a better shooter, typically...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That works well for me except on some Mondays...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ricksmith
If you can reliability hit the spine and loose very little meat, why not head shot and loose no meat?

Rick.

Mon. 12-3-12, # 3 this season, 1 just like it last year.

[Linked Image]

FIRST off, guys, I am NOT trying to dominate this thread, I promise.

This doe makes # 3 in 2012. She was 101 yds (lasered after shot) she disappeared from sight, rolling ground.

I cut the shoulders off BEFORE taking pic so it looks like more damage than there was.

The previous pic in this thread - the entrance was from left...
this one from right. Both pics deer hanging upside down.

MOST deer cartridges & bullets can do this, if the shooter can. You can see there is PLENTY of damage w/o using a premium or target bullet.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jwall

[Linked Image]

This is more like it

That's what I'd be looking for. Is that TYPICAL IYE (in your experience)? [/quote]

Note I shoot the target only versions... never have or will try the hunting ones. That expansion is typical of what i've dug out of my backstops. A bit less lead and often seperated from close up 100-200 yard impacts, but thats about what I get from the 750 yard impacts on the berm often. Granted the ground is MUCH harder than an animal and I've yet to see a negative issue on an animal.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
So they kill animals and can be accurate. Let me ask another way. What made you users decide to leave the bullet(s) you had been using and move to the Berger?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
140 gr. Berger Hunting VLD
.264 Winchester Magnum
3230 fps
270 yards

[Linked Image]

No "Whap" of the bullet hitting behind the shoulder but the bull just hunched a tad and looked our way, tried to take a step with only its front legs before collapsing on its rear. Not much of the bullet left; just the jacket lower end of the boattail that weighed 46 grains even though the bullet never hit bone. Couln't find the entrance with the skin still on. Entered between ribs and remnants found in off side skin that went between ribs.

Incredibly quick, clean kill.

I'm thinking the sharp nose profile is why it penetrates so consistently before expanding.

No loss of meat with a behind the shoulder shot.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Definitelty won't be the last animal that sees one sent from me.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good job looks like they work well to me.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
No use for VLDs, try VDLs laugh
[Linked Image]
Just received them in the mail today!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probably just the latest, greatest!

Very Dang Long?

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mis print, they emailed me and offered to send the proper label if I wanted.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Very Dumb Luck?

A
OP Offline
A
Waste of time and O2 showing evidence with know it alls except for a couple others who also has Berger blowups and were man enough to admit it. With Wild TV and the cult of Berger long range shooting I wonder how many animals will be hit and wander off to die a lingering death.To me shooting something at crazy ranges with a $5000 + rig wind meter and rangefinder isn't hunting it's hail Mary shooting ,best reserved for paper or braggarts.The only forum I've found with ruder people was Hunting net.com Now they have competition.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Should change your handle to: Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm getting a whiff of something familiar.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm getting a whiff of someone who can't shoot and loves to complain about it...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm thinking of a particular someone, but it's not a lock yet.

A mid-speed 308 load (41.5 gr. H4895) with 168 gr. Bergers has been caving in big hogs just fine for a friend of mine. Quartering on angles have been no problem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Larry? The poster and post is bogus whoever it is.

Despite that, while on topic. First of all, I look fwd to using Berger 130s for my next 260 deer kill, in addition to the 80 TTSX in 243.

The diff is, I'll punch both shoulders if given a broadside w/TTSX and eat up to the hole. With the Berger, I want to go lungs (or maybe head/neck) and not worry about making 'leaded hamburger' - just me but I'd do the same if using an Amax, TNT, etc.

I won't dobt Barnes kill and well, but my concern would merely be not having vaporized lead, or shrapnel in my meal. Not to over-worry, just pick shot placement w/Barnes for that one concern. Health issue, not a killing one.

In the end, use whatever works for you, MOST bullets will kill regardless of what they look like post mortem wink

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1234, 77 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,397 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,164
Posts18,484,441
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.