-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm thinking of getting one. I love charcoal, but I'm tired of having to work so hard tending it to try to keep an even temp.. Maybe gas, but I swear I think I can taste/smell the mercaptans that are added to it to make it smell.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used an electric Little Chef for over 30 years to make jerkey and smoke salmon, works great. It would not be my choice if I wanted to do larger pieces of meat.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Treagers are all good

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AggieDog
I have used an electric Little Chef for over 30 years to make jerkey and smoke salmon, works great. It would not be my choice if I wanted to do larger pieces of meat.

Yep,,, Perfect for small batches.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, but mine is kind of a jerry-rigged bugger. I get my heat from electric frying pan that I direct wire to an appliance cord. Wouldn't pass a fire inspection, but works perfectly. Place wood in pan, plug in, walk away, check every now and then. All for under $10. And I can do 25 lbs of slab bacon per run.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a 20 lb electric, now 125 lb gas with smoke generator. Electric was good for small batches.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Treagers are all good

That's what I use. Thanksgiving was AWESOME!

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a small Cookshack and it works great. In winter it won't get hot enough to do much cooking but it's easy enough to smoke then finish inside. It must be about 10 years old and I see they've changed the design a little.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Master built and it is VERY VERY handy. Easy to clean and easy to maintain temps with. Looks like this...On the left

[Linked Image]

I bought a smoke generator that fits perfectly in the bottom on the left side of the heating element and chip tray so I don't have to mess with chip loading any more. It's called an A-Maze-N smoker. You burn pellets just like a Traeger. One tray of pellets will last up to 11 hours. It's great for "cold" smoking things such as cheese and bacon with the element off in the smoker. Here is what the smoke generator looks like.

[Linked Image]

You light the pellets with a torch on one end and let burn for about 10 minutes. Blow out the flame and place in the smoker. With the proper air flow it'll just keep chugging along. If you like more smoke, light both ends.

Here is the site for them.. They have several models to fit most all smokers.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

Todd is a great guy, call him and he'll recommend the best thing for you.

Have a great day.

1st Bn 5th Marines Wpns Co. 03-07
Semper Fidelis
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have a Bradley that uses the bisquettes. My favorite are the applewood and the Jim Beam. http://www.bradleysmoker.com/product/bradley-electric-smoker/
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/products/bisquettes/

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 on the Little Chief, I use Alderwood for Venison and Apple for Birds & Poultry.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thinking back, I bought my first Little Chief about 1982 for 25 dollars, in Manhattan Kansas, and We bought one recently near 100 dollars. Makes you think about the value of a dollar. While the govt brags there is no inflation, the way they keep printing money we dont have backed up by gold devalues the dollar. My first brand new car in 1972, a Dodge Demon with a 340 mag under the hood, brand new was 3500 dollars..............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by AggieDog

Yep,,, Perfect for small batches.
me too!! i don't even have to add wood !..with all the "build up" ...plug it in, add food....open up- its smoked!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My dad bought his first one in the early 70's. Little Chief. No Idea where it went.
Bought him a Big Chief last year for his present. Its smoking deer jerky right now.

Bob

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
D
D
Hello guys..i think charcoal is the dangerous thing for the health..i totally dislike
If you have in no way utilized a smoker, think about purchasing an affordable design to gain some smoking expertise before getting a high budget electric smoker.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (7887mm08, 10Glocks, 44mc, 300_savage, 35, 7mm_Loco, 9 invisible), 1,630 guests, and 812 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,557
Posts18,510,449
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.