Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'm at Fort Meade for a few months at a school. Pugs, a local member, met me for lunch a few weeks ago and turned me on to a few spots to fish.

I went the day after Thanksgiving, it was in the 60s. Beautiful day, beautiful stream, but no fish caught. The picture below was drifting a little pool that I could see four or five, obviously non-hungry, trout laying in, but no takers. crazy

[Linked Image]

Fast forward to today. Pugs called and offered to actually take me to another spot. So we met earlier this morning and headed out. What a gorgeous little stream!

[Linked Image]

I watched Pugs for a few minutes...

[Linked Image]

...then struck out on my own.

Drifting a little #20 nymph through a little slot, and fish on! shocked

[Linked Image]

I thought of it after turning him loose, that I should've taken a "trophy" shot, with my arms stretched out towards the camera. Maybe, just maybe, by doing that, I could've stretched that little guy out to a full six inches. cool Honestly, he was maybe four inches, tops. But a little native brown, from a beautiful stream, on a great day, with a great host... what more could I want. cool

Turned out that he was my only fish for the trip (both trips actually), but what a wonderful time.

Thanks for the good times Pugs!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't ask for much more than that!

Looks like a really good time...

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Enjoyed it a bunch and hope to get out next Saturday and do the same - downstream this time. Here's a few pics. No fish pics for me. I caught exactly one fish and it was one of the horn headed minnows we get here and about 3/4 length of my palm.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks like a little more structure next year smile

[Linked Image]

One of the really good things about this stream is it's openness.

[Linked Image]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gary and I hit it again today and headed downstream in the intermittent showers. No fish caught, few seen but great to get out with a good guy and see the scenery

A couple pics of cold bore
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Pugs- you gotta get out here and let me spoil you grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Likewise Pugs!

I really enjoyed the last few weekends.

A true gentleman, willing to show a stranger his own secret spots.

Come on up north next year and allow me to return the hospitality; we'll get after the steelhead when they run!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pugs: Missouri River at Craig, Montana. Fifty+ of these a day.

[Linked Image]

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Pugs: Missouri River at Craig, Montana. Fifty+ of these a day.

Montana you say? Hmmm, I've heard good things about that place from many people. I sense a plan coming together.... How many driftboats do campfire members own? grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I dont own a drift boat and quit fishing the big waters years ago...too crowded. I like the creeks like you do, we catch bunches and never see another fisherman......

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Pugs...the creeks look like this..

[Linked Image]

And the creek fish look like this..

[Linked Image]

or the little ones look like this...

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those fish may not be healthy, They're all spotted. I ought to come out to save you from getting infected. grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yes please! Save me from my horrible fate and destiny!

So far I have been able to stave off the plague with high priced bourbon. Don't know how much longer I can hold out.....

Last edited by ingwe; 12/09/12.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, I'm sensing some kind of plan here, too. Infected fish, bottled antidote and a few unwashed two-legged braggarts to bring them together...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I'm sensing some kind of plan here, too. Infected fish, bottled antidote and a few unwashed two-legged braggarts to bring them together...

When you say "few" I'm thinking a roving band of fishing miscreants ranging from say Utah to Idaho up into Wyoming and Montana and Idaho then back into Utah with about three or four vehicles might be a heck of an enjoyable 10 days or so.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hmmmm.....You, me, Ingwe, maybe one other. One, maybe two vehicles.

Yeah, that sounds doable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmmmm.....You, me, Ingwe, maybe one other. One, maybe two vehicles.

Yeah, that sounds doable.

Question is early or late in the June to October magic months out there? ColdBore would be a really great addition to this mix.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
June sux here...high muddy water. The creeks are best in August/ September....I am off the month of August.... whistle
Good luck catching me in September....

Some of the big water starts looking good in July...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm only off 12 months of the year, so scheduling is a challenge...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
And in Utah...you aint that far away... grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Near? Hell, I'm HERE!

I already have a trip booked (back to Craig) the first week of June. July or August would be great for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 23 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 1,018 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,706
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.